dgd

Foreigner divorce joint property ownership

shadow
51 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

They have 2 years after registration to file a challenge. I always look at the date of last registration when buying a property or accepting it as collateral 

I have a safe full of titles. None of them have a 5 year notation  and I cant remember ever seeing one. 

My bad, the 5 year notation is on original certificates of title only, meaning property that was titled for the first time, after being tax declaration land. It does not apply to land that has been already sold once, then a transfer certificate of title is issued.

I would venture a guess that the titles in your safe are transfer certificates of title, and not original certificates of title. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Davaoeno

Yes they are Larry

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SkyMan

All my titles were OCT when bought but almost 25 years old. Our new TCTs are now almost 10 years old so way problema. 

Lordblacknail

I have no dog in this fight, but my personal opinion for you, is run, don't walk, away. Things have a tendency to get violent here, if the family thinks they should get the property and you think you should. What is your life worth? It doesn't matter how much you love, trust, honor your wife, she isn't the only one that is involved. Every relative she ever had will figure the property belongs to them, and if you were no longer around, well, they just might get it so the first thing is to make you disappear. You can buy a guy on a motorcycle for P2000, look ma, no more foreigner. You need to really think this through bud. I know, you think I am being dramatic, but just check how many of us have been killed over the last few years for just this sort of thing. Cut your losses.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

smokey
1 hour ago, Lordblacknail said:

I have no dog in this fight, but my personal opinion for you, is run, don't walk, away. Things have a tendency to get violent here, if the family thinks they should get the property and you think you should. What is your life worth? It doesn't matter how much you love, trust, honor your wife, she isn't the only one that is involved. Every relative she ever had will figure the property belongs to them, and if you were no longer around, well, they just might get it so the first thing is to make you disappear. You can buy a guy on a motorcycle for P2000, look ma, no more foreigner. You need to really think this through bud. I know, you think I am being dramatic, but just check how many of us have been killed over the last few years for just this sort of thing. Cut your losses.

Everything he said is true except for the 2000.   Its 5.000 now

• Like 1

Jawny

I have read the posts in LinC about foreigners having problems with land disputes.  However, I believe these are not anywhere near as common as some might believe.  Seems like a lot of families manage to get through the dispute process sans violence.  

In my own experience, the court system worked fine with regard to a land dispute.  I never felt threatened or at risk.  

In the case of the OP,  he doesn’t seem to be at any risk of harm.  

dgd
5 hours ago, smokey said:

Everything he said is true except for the 2000.   Its 5.000 now

Thanks. That sort of thought is reinforcing my feelings that I can't trust anybody of her family over there nor the sister I brought over here who recently hooked up with another older white guy. I'm contemplating communicating with him. I am in communications with the other local Filipino  man that married into the family locally. He seems like a good guy but he is right there and I don't know how much to trust him. . My concern isn't for me to the property. I would just dump and run. But my wife and I have a son that was born there and I wonder if his  philippine family would hurt him. He is age 10 in the middle of about seven or eight cousins that he sees every one or two years for about a month over the sinulog fiesta. He takes part with the family then. Of course he arrives with a ton of money so I'm finding out that that is really what makes a difference.  They are a rent-a-family situation which I understand is common.  I wonder how immune my son will be from that sort of racism from them?

dgd

I have transfer certificate of title. (On the owner part it is listed as: Owner: "her name", Filipino citizen, married to "my name" "my country" citizen both of legal.)

Declaration of real property.

Tax declaration of real property.

On the owner part it is listed as my "wife", Filipino citizen, married to me, " foreigner" both of legal. 

dgd
5 hours ago, Jawny said:

I have read the posts in LinC about foreigners having problems with land disputes.  However, I believe these are not anywhere near as common as some might believe.  Seems like a lot of families manage to get through the dispute process sans violence.  

In my own experience, the court system worked fine with regard to a land dispute.  I never felt threatened or at risk.  

In the case of the OP,  he doesn’t seem to be at any risk of harm.  

I'm not in a position to agree nor disagree. But can you give me some reasoning behind why I don't seem to be at any risk of harm? 

Jawny
5 hours ago, dgd said:

I'm not in a position to agree nor disagree. But can you give me some reasoning behind why I don't seem to be at any risk of harm? 

I’ve lived in Leyte a long while, and there have been many instances of land disputes in my community and some involving my own family, including myself. Tempers have flared, nasty accusations were made, but no threats or acts of violence have taken place. This is, of course, just my personal experience, and limited.  

The killings I have read about which involved foreigners, were all reported in this forum.  Many of these were speculative, as to the reasons behind the violence.  However, I don’t dispute that some foreigners have been threatened or harmed because of land disputes.  

I just don’t think it is as common as it is made out to be.  Only an opinion.  

I did see an advertisement for ballistic shields which can be placed in a vehicle in lieu of having a bulletproof vehicle.  Body armor and body guards might be a way of having peace of mind.  

to_dave007
5 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Tempers have flared, nasty accusations were made, but no threats or acts of violence have taken place. This is, of course, just my personal experience, and limited..  

While I have not been involved, have seen two instances of fairly serious land related threats against foreigners.  One involved 3am visit  to evict 74 year old from his home by armed group TOGETHER with local police.  Visit had been arranged by his "wife" after he initiated court action for bigamy and estafa.  Plus she has tracked him since then.  Only reason he's still alive..  is that his medical condition is likely to do her job for her. 

The other involved effort by foreigner (Taiwanese) to evict squatters from one corner of his resort property.

IMHO the concern LordBlackNail raises is credible.

• Like 2

dgd
8 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

While I have not been involved, have seen two instances of fairly serious land related threats against foreigners.  One involved 3am visit  to evict 74 year old from his home by armed group TOGETHER with local police.  Visit had been arranged by his "wife" after he initiated court action for bigamy and estafa.  Plus she has tracked him since then.  Only reason he's still alive..  is that his medical condition is likely to do her job for her. 

The other involved effort by foreigner (Taiwanese) to evict squatters from one corner of his resort property.

IMHO the concern LordBlackNail raises is credible.

Well that makes me want to just live out on a boat :-) 

smokey
6 hours ago, dgd said:

I have transfer certificate of title. (On the owner part it is listed as: Owner: "her name", Filipino citizen, married to "my name" "my country" citizen both of legal.)

Declaration of real property.

Tax declaration of real property.

On the owner part it is listed as my "wife", Filipino citizen, married to me, " foreigner" both of legal. 

So she is the owner and married does not say owned by it say she is owner and married guess who ever has best lawyer wins

Jack Rat
19 hours ago, Lordblacknail said:

Reading between the lines, the moral of the story is to simply.... rent!!!!

• Like 1

smokey
Posted (edited)

I heard from wife.   Women she know marry foreigner they build house she accuse him of cheating.  He her.  They split she offers to leave he can keep house car she gets 4 million peso.  Deal almost 2 years go by she comes back broke she moves back in seperate rooms 4 monhs later her bf a pnp moves in soon he is kicked out he leaves broke she sells house bf takes money kicks her to curb.    Kama

Edited by smokey