exploringlife2

School Teacher

exploringlife2

I met a very nice lady, not a girl. She has been teaching High School in Mindanao for 10 years. In April she got her Masters Degree. Last week see went to a meeting at her school during the first part of summer break. She got good news that she was accepted as a permanent government teacher which she earned and deserves. This almost doubles her pay and gets paid during summer breaks in the future. She spent the week getting the proper documents they required. She gets a phone call on Thursday that Friday she must be at a mandatory live in 3 week seminar for newly excepted government teacher. So Friday she takes the 2 hour bus ride to this seminar, I guess for orientation and training. The venue where she is at does not have good internet signal for her cell phone and must not have wifi for them to use.

My question is this normal? All paperwork in regards to my car and motor bike has been very frustrating and time consuming. 

• Like 1

Dafey

Hey ELife2,

Everything in the Philippines is frustrating. The thing to do is 'not have expectations'. If you are used to things being done in a 1st world country where everything is computerized and has a 'sensible' process, you can get very upset.

Case in point...when I purchase something at a "big" department store and charge it the process seems to take forever! And then I get 2 slips of paper to sign instead of one...doesn't make sense to me but that's how it's done.

So...the bottom line is to relax and let it happen. If someone offers you a chair, take it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

sounds about right to me..  She will likely have lots of demands on her time.  This will be normal.  Sounds like a bright lady.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
On 4/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, exploringlife2 said:

I met a very nice lady, not a girl. She has been teaching High School in Mindanao for 10 years. In April she got her Masters Degree. Last week see went to a meeting at her school during the first part of summer break. She got good news that she was accepted as a permanent government teacher which she earned and deserves. This almost doubles her pay and gets paid during summer breaks in the future. She spent the week getting the proper documents they required. She gets a phone call on Thursday that Friday she must be at a mandatory live in 3 week seminar for newly excepted government teacher. So Friday she takes the 2 hour bus ride to this seminar, I guess for orientation and training. The venue where she is at does not have good internet signal for her cell phone and must not have wifi for them to use.

My question is this normal? All paperwork in regards to my car and motor bike has been very frustrating and time consuming. 

I married a public school teacher. Yes it is normal. As a government employee they own you in ways that are unheard of to us. She was refused  entry onto a plane to Singapore because she didnt have a letter of permission from DepEd. At the end of the school day they are not allowed to clock out  until a certain time even if their work is finished.

On the other hand they are almost impossible to fire so it's a job for life !

It's like a union job back home In some ways hehe

• Like 1

exploringlife2

Thank You all for this information. I am not used to such demands put on ones time. I do support her in her career and family. She has put a lot of time into getting to this point in her career and life. Now it is my time to be patient. Thank You Again!

• Like 1

Headshot
On 4/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, exploringlife2 said:

I'm confused. Was she teaching at private schools and now has a job with a public school (DepEd), or was she teaching in a public school and just got a promotion due to her masters degree? A DepEd teacher is considered a "permanent" teacher as soon as they are hired. My wife did that for a few years, and she never had to go to a seminar when she got hired by DepEd. Then again, this could be something new, or it could be something that the DepEd region where your GF works is doing this on its own. There are three ranks of teachers within DepEd (Teacher 1, Teacher 2, Teacher 3), and teachers rise up through the ranks through earning additional degrees and through favoritism from their administrators (which is the dark side of DepEd). Each promotion carries a pretty good raise.

rfm010
On 4/28/2019 at 11:33 PM, Davaoeno said:

... As a government employee they own you in ways that are unheard of to us. She was refused  entry onto a plane to Singapore because she didnt have a letter of permission from DepEd...

A very important point here.  I know u.p. profs who put "consultant" as occupation on their passport because to put professor ( of a gov university) would require getting a permission slip from the chancellor every time they wanted to travel.  A childish requirement but usually enforced.  I would think having to deal with deped would be a bit of an irritation.

• Like 1

Salty Dog

I didn't realize occupation was shown on Passports...

• Thanks 2

Semper paratus
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I didn't realize occupation was shown on Passports...

The wife says the question is on the application for a Philippine passport. Check your wifes passport, I don't know where mine keeps hers. She's sleeping, not feeling well.  We just helped a nephew get his passport and it did ask occupation. If the U.S. did that I'd need about 25 lines to fill out. 

Headshot
Posted (edited)

Occupation isn't in the passport, but when an immigration officer slides a passport, the computer gives them all of the information given in the application. There hassles involved with DepEd (it isn't just travel hassles) were why my wife "retired" after we got married. Neither of us wanted to have to deal with DepEd's bullshit rules and policies. DepEd teachers are slaves of the system in many ways.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1