Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Meal Replacement Drinks for Medical Patient

Dafey
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

So we can suggest what food he should eat  but not discuss what food diabetics should eat?  I dont see how that is possible?  The fact that he is diabetic is the very reason for this thread .

I did not say that...I only wanted to stop the shooting match of off topic debate.

4 hours ago, Dafey said:

It's not a good time to debate the disease.

• Confused 1

jtmwatchbiz

dave if you think your friend needs a second opinion or additional help from a Dr re-diet and nutrition to get his weight back then PM me so as not to excite the powers that be here in this thread.  right up the street from our coffee meetup place there are a few top notch doctors specializing in that field.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Headshot
5 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

myNC Independent Herbalife Distributor, Psalm Street, Jesus Cortes Compound · 0933 348 0277,B

Herbalife, Bmpc Bldg, Jakosalem St .

looks like ensure should be available..  they have a web site https://ensure.com.ph/

Still hoping to buy it at retail..  so I can get it quickly.

My wife buys Ensure for her diabetic mother at SM Supermarket. That is at least a good place to start.

• Thanks 3

SkyMan
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Family asked me.. can we buy meal replacement drinks?  for diabetics?

You might want to tactfully find out why they asked for that and if they've consulted a dietician?  Could be they went on some forum and someone suggested that.  LivingInCanadaForums or something.

• Like 1

Jawny
45 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

You might want to tactfully find out why they asked for that and if they've consulted a dietician?  Could be they went on some forum and someone suggested that.  LivingInCanadaForums or something.

This is an excellent point.  The need for nutrition is obvious, but the exact way to provide it is critical.  

I realize the thread is not to stray off into the issue of just exactly what diabetes is, type 1 or type 2.  However, the description of the sick fellow hoping for some home care is important.  

In order for the proper nutrition to be provided, to a diabetic, it is very important to know many details about their current condition.  Being emaciated is alarming, but it is also a common result of treatment regimens for type 2 diabetes.  

The need to consult a nutritionist is vital, but also is the knowledge of just what the other conditions have developed.  

It seems apparent the sick fellow has been getting some treatment.  The nutritionist at the hospital would be the first place I would go........if not the actual, doctor treating the fellow.

I've had many years of experience dealing with diabetic relatives, with both type 1 and 2 diabetes.  I'm aware that there is a lot of confusion about just what is correct care.  

The subject can’t stay strictly on which dietary supplement is the best for the sick fellow.  It has to be provided with clear guidance of how to manage the results of using that supplement. That is, with an understanding of diabetes. At least the basics.

BTW, I applaud the OP for making the effort.  It can be a stressful situation, even if he claims to be just a gopher. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

This is an excellent point.  The need for nutrition is obvious, but the exact way to provide it is critical.  

I realize the thread is not to stray off into the issue of just exactly what diabetes is, type 1 or type 2.  However, the description of the sick fellow hoping for some home care is important.  

In order for the proper nutrition to be provided, to a diabetic, it is very important to know many details about their current condition.  Being emaciated is alarming, but it is also a common result of treatment regimens for type 2 diabetes.  

The need to consult a nutritionist is vital, but also is the knowledge of just what the other conditions have developed.  

It seems apparent the sick fellow has been getting some treatment.  The nutritionist at the hospital would be the first place I would go........if not the actual, doctor treating the fellow.

I've had many years of experience dealing with diabetic relatives, with both type 1 and 2 diabetes.  I'm aware that there is a lot of confusion about just what is correct care.  

The subject can’t stay strictly on which dietary supplement is the best for the sick fellow.  It has to be provided with clear guidance of how to manage the results of using that supplement. That is, with an understanding of diabetes. At least the basics.

BTW, I applaud the OP for making the effort.  It can be a stressful situation, even if he claims to be just a gopher. Good luck. 

Thanks for this..  I find your description a bit scary.. for me.  for the very simple reason that you have simply pointed out how much I DON"T KNOW..  and really don't WANT TO KNOW.  I'm not a doctor, or a nutritionist, or a nurse and I'm not a family member.  And I believe in the old adage that too many cooks spoil the soup.

So..  I'll make a trip to SM, and Watson, and Rose, and Mercury, and Gaisano..  and hopefully that answers the question I have from the family..  and that's another job done.

Thanks to all. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3

Jawny
2 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Thanks for this..  I find your description a bit scary.. for me.  for the very simple reason that you have simply pointed out how much I DON"T KNOW..  and really don't WANT TO KNOW.  I'm not a doctor, or a nutritionist, or a nurse and I'm not a family member.  And I believe in the old adage that too many cooks spoil the soup.

So..  I'll make a trip to SM, and Watson, and Rose, and Mercury, and Gaisano..  and hopefully that answers the question I have from the family..  and that's another job done.

Thanks to all. 

For yourself, you are doing the best you can by supporting the family’s requests.  As to the desire to know, the next time you get any sort of check up, ask for a simple blood test called hba1c. It is just a simple blood draw with results same day.  Best to get it interpreted by a health professional.  The result will be a number, compared to a standard. If you are in the range, test is normal.  If your results are high, it’s an indicator that you have accumulated higher than typical blood sugar levels over the last three months.

A blood sugar test done after fasting, you may have already done.  That is for that recent period of time.  It is the one done with a test strip using a meter and a small test strip from a pinch of blood, usually from your finger. The hba1c reveals the last three months of blood sugar levels and is a good indicator if you may be developing type 2 diabetes. VERY TREATABLE,    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
9 hours ago, Headshot said:

My wife buys Ensure for her diabetic mother at SM Supermarket. That is at least a good place to start.

Bill..  can you ask your wife if this particular Ensure product is specifically formulated for diabetics?  And if so.. what's the full product name on the can?  Thanks

to_dave007
11 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

dave if you think your friend needs a second opinion or additional help from a Dr re-diet and nutrition to get his weight back then PM me so as not to excite the powers that be here in this thread.  right up the street from our coffee meetup place there are a few top notch doctors specializing in that field.  

Thanks..  but for now my friend is immobile in Balamban and his daughter is visiting a nutritionist in Alberta Canada.  Not something I can change.  But thanks anyway.

• Like 1

lamoe

PLEASE follow the advice of several of the posters

Consult a doctor - actually several? - primary care who knows his entire medical history AND dietitian

Ex-wife has a hereditary illness that can be life threatening within minutes -  was also diabetic along with other less intrusive ailments

Treatments for the primary illness was counterproductive to treatment for others and vise versa -  different doctors, different areas of expertise

Finally took a conference call with 3 participants (HAE doctor, primary, and dietitian) to determine correct treatments.

• Thanks 1

to_dave007
51 minutes ago, lamoe said:

PLEASE follow the advice of several of the posters

Consult a doctor - actually several? - primary care who knows his entire medical history AND dietitian

Ex-wife has a hereditary illness that can be life threatening within minutes -  was also diabetic along with other less intrusive ailments

Treatments for the primary illness was counterproductive to treatment for others and vise versa -  different doctors, different areas of expertise

Finally took a conference call with 3 participants (HAE doctor, primary, and dietitian) to determine correct treatments.

This advice has been provided to the family..  

Doofer

Landmark US Consensus Recommends Low Carb Diet In Diabetes Management

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2019/apr/landmark-us-consensus-recommends-low-carb-diet-in-diabetes-management-91667065.html?fbclid=IwAR2AT53vT49jiYMALS-cgbKYabmvsDHogbQwgXFFSd8lyberjslDszFEUJo

• Like 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Bill..  can you ask your wife if this particular Ensure product is specifically formulated for diabetics?  And if so.. what's the full product name on the can?  Thanks

My wife started her mother on Diabetasol (which is made for diabetics), but my MIL's stomach couldn't tolerate it (she has also had problems with stomach ulcers). So now, my wife just buys her Ensure Gold. I have no idea what is in it (or even if it is recommended for diabetics), but my MIL's condition and weight have improved since she started using it. My MIL uses it as a supplement to her regular diet, taking it once in the morning, and sometimes again in the early evening if she is feeling exceptionally tired.

In addition, my MIL sees her diabetes doctor regularly, gets lab blood tests regularly and tests her sugar levels.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

to_dave007

Just to close off this topic.

Don't know why I was expecting these nutritional supplements hard to find here in PI..  but I was.  So I envisioned having to locate that ONE store in the city that sold the stuff.  Well.. didn't work out like that.

Went to the new Mercury Drugs here in Tuburan (1km from my place) that opened up 4 to 6 months ago..  and asked to speak to the pharmacist.   They had one...   And I asked then what nutritional supplement drink options they had available..  specifically for diabetics.. and they had three (wow !) products in stock:

1. Diabetasol 600g - 793.75 peso good for about 8 days. (about 100 peso/day)  They even had 2 flavours.
  2. Ensure (Abbott Labs) Glucerna 900g. - 1967 peso good for about 18 to 21 days.  This is their most popular product apparently.  They had the non-diabetic versions as well.
  3. Nestle Nutren Diabetes - 1818 peso good for 18 to 21 days.  

AND they had stocks of all three.

Times are changing..  never would have been able to find that in Tuburan 5 years ago. 

Anyway..  based on medical recommendation and family wishes, I bought a box of the diabetasol and delivered it, together with a small 233 ml bottle I picked up at 7eleven so that they could measure out 200ml as accurately as possible.  They started him for first 2 days at 1/2 dose..  and no negative effects so he's at full dose now..  Helps that he likes it.  Nurses measured his blood sugar once since he started.. high.  but not alarmingly high. 

Will it help..  who knows..  He's not in great shape so I hope so.

Thanks everyone.

PS..  Wife tells me this morning that her months uncles wife (72 or so) is in local hospital last 2 days with what sounds like almost identical physical condition.  Guess this is more common that I knew.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1