to_dave007

Meal Replacement Drinks for Medical Patient

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

74 year old Canadian diabetic friend of mine had stroke 2 weeks ago today in Balamban.  He spent a week in hospital then was moved back home for budgetary reasons.  He has daily nursing visit, and 24 hour helper, and has been transported to city twice for CT scan and doctor visits.  he has no family in Philippines, and the initial 48 hours was a bit chaotic as he could not stand, let alone walk, and he could not talk beyond strained yes or no.  But..  His Canadian family is up to speed now and directing and funding his care from Canada, and working to see what needs to be done to transport him back to Canada.  For the time being, the patient seems stable, and more alert.  He can talk now, though brain seems dulled, but walking may never happen again for him.

Family not yet in Philippines..  as they are trying to time their arrival to the time when he will be ready to fly back to Canada.

Todays issue is Meal Replacement Drinks..  The man is a bit emaciated.. and his family is trying to see if there are any Meal Replacement Drinks that are available in PI and suitable for diabetic.  So far he's been eating egg and bread, oatmeal, occasional pizza slice or paste.  But now that he's stable attention is turned to trying to improve his diet..  He seems to be having trouble to chew /swallow some foods, so family asked me to see what meal replacement drinks I can locate.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

I suppose we could buy a blender and make some baby food..  I do think he'd appreciate some mashed potato and overcooked carrots.  (lol..  Any ideas from all you old guys?  I'm only 65..  and still have all my teeth and love spicy food..  so I'm new at this seniors stuff)

Ideas please...

Edited by to_dave007

Jawny

There’s a wide range of meal replacement drinks in the Philippines. Health food stores at malls would have them.  Some are prepared, others are powdered and mixed.  Even Lazada sells some.

• Like 1

SkyMan

I think I've seen like Ensure or some of those other drinks.  They have the proper balance of protein and carbs but I have no idea if they are ok for diabetics.  They taste pretty good so I suspect some sugar in the ones I've had.  I used to drink 3-4 after a long training run.

• Like 3

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

Ensure Diabetes Care - Abbott Nutrition

https://nutrition.abbott/in/product/ensure-diabetes-care

FEATURES. Ensure Diabetes care is a diabetes specific nutrition. It is scientifically formulated with slow release energy system to help manage blood glucose ...

Ensure Glucerna is similar, but specifically formulated with the needs of diabeticsin mind. There is less sugar. But, as diabetic diet management is not the avoidance of sugar but the management of a total budget of carbohydrates and calories, the avoidance of sugar is nice, but of incremental value.

Google is your friend 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 3

Doofer

Being a T2 Diabetic is caused by carbs. So I guess drinking a product loaded with carbs is the answer to controlling it. NOT!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jawny
48 minutes ago, Doofer said:

Being a T2 Diabetic is caused by carbs. So I guess drinking a product loaded with carbs is the answer to controlling it. NOT!!

Type 2 diabetes is the result of genetic disposition to becoming diabetic and lifestyle. This is, eating food with sugar or high carbs is not the sole cause.  The product mentioned above is designed specifically for diabetic individuals.  This is not just my opinion, but resources such as 

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dafey

So the OP has asked for specific information on 'Meal Replacement Drinks for Medical Patient' and the particular patient is a diabetic. Since this is a serious inquiry let's cut to the suggestions and let the OP sift through which is best for the patient. It's not a good time to debate the disease.

• Like 3

Gus

Dave, Herbalife is another product you could look at and consider ..they have a meal replacement shake , Available in PI

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Nick62
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Gus said:

Dave, Herbalife is another product you could look at and consider ..they have a meal replacement shake , Available in PI

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Yes, Herbalife is definitely ok and you can blend it with water, milk, juices and healthy fruit or vegetables

Edited by Nick62
  • Like 1

Jawny
54 minutes ago, Dafey said:

So the OP has asked for specific information on 'Meal Replacement Drinks for Medical Patient' and the particular patient is a diabetic. Since this is a serious inquiry let's cut to the suggestions and let the OP sift through which is best for the patient. It's not a good time to debate the disease.

No intention on my part to debate the topic of diabetes.  The post suggesting that carbohydrates were bad was misguided advice and the OP should not be distracted by misinformation.

The reference (link) provided was intended as a source for information for someone like the OP, apparently unfamiliar with diabetes and diet.  For example, a simple suggestion in the reference was to make contact with a dietician for guidance.  This is an excellent suggestion, and very cost effective.  The dietician can be found at any hospital, and will provide a consultation at the price of a similar consultation by a physician. 

This is especially useful since a dietician located here will be familiar with local resources such as dietary supplements as well as considerations over what sort of treatment the diabetic patient was already receiving (medications). 

My intentions were intended to provide useful assistance to the OP and not to win a debate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

this is a serious inquiry

You are right.. It is a serious inquiry.

Having said that..  I read this morning that to help patient gain weight (he's emaciated) we should focus on protein, carbs and energy, and reduce the fiber..  and my very first thought was "how will that sit with his diabetes".  So for sure I am a BIT worried that my uninformed self can do more harm then good by using MY OWN OPINIONS to decide what he should eat.  After all..  I am not a doctor.. and not family..  and it was me who bought the oatmeal he ate last week.. because he asked for it..  and I regret that already.

So..  I'm trying carefully to be a follower and helper here.. not a leader.. and let the family do the leading, with whatever medical help they can muster.

So the suggestions so far are:

• Ensure Diabetes care
  • Ensure Glucerna
  • Herbalife

I'll do a Google search to see if I can find any place in Cebu that will sell these.  Anyone know off the top of your head?

Will also see if I can locate a liquid vitamin supplement formulated for seniors.

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

myNC Independent Herbalife Distributor, Psalm Street, Jesus Cortes Compound · 0933 348 0277,B

Herbalife, Bmpc Bldg, Jakosalem St .

looks like ensure should be available..  they have a web site https://ensure.com.ph/

Still hoping to buy it at retail..  so I can get it quickly.

Edited by to_dave007

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

So we can suggest what food he should eat  but not discuss what food diabetics should eat?  I dont see how that is possible?  The fact that he is diabetic is the very reason for this thread .

• Like 2

Jawny
20 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

myNC Independent Herbalife Distributor, Psalm Street, Jesus Cortes Compound · 0933 348 0277,B

Herbalife, Bmpc Bldg, Jakosalem St .

looks like ensure should be available..  they have a web site https://ensure.com.ph/

Still hoping to buy it at retail..  so I can get it quickly.

Ensure is sold at pharmacy chains here...Watson’s, Rose, Mercury. I’d check for the other as well.  However, you really need to know what sort of meds he was taking. If he knew for sure he was diabetic then he may have been receiving care. 

I STRONGLY suggest a dietician be consulted. 

A blood sugar monitor is also a useful device and around ₽5000 for one and test strips are not too expensive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Ensure is sold at pharmacy chains here...Watson’s, Rose, Mercury. I’d check for the other as well.  However, you really need to know what sort of meds he was taking. If he knew for sure he was diabetic then he may have been receiving care. 

I STRONGLY suggest a dietician be consulted. 

A blood sugar monitor is also a useful device and around ₽5000 for one and test strips are not too expensive. 

thanks..  I'll check the pharmacies..  and pass along the suggestions.

39 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

So we can suggest what food he should eat  but not discuss what food diabetics should eat?  I dont see how that is possible?  The fact that he is diabetic is the very reason for this thread .

Ian..  the real reason for the thread is (a) he's emaciated and looks like he's not eating enough and (b) he's diabetic too.  So..  all suggestions are welcome..  Really.. I have absolutely NO IDEA what a diabetic should eat..  I'm at the level of "look on the box to see if it's intended for diabetics".  I assume that chocolate bars NOT GOOD..  and liter of Coke NOT GOOD..  but I don't know if pizza or pasta or potato is GOOD or NOT GOOD..  Just don't know.

Family asked me.. can we buy meal replacement drinks?  for diabetics? ..  and after a visit to couple good pharmacies I may have the full answer to that question..  What to do next?  That's up to them..  I'm just the gopher..  by choice...  as I'm afraid of what mistakes I might make if I try to be too smart.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Thanks 1