Sign in to follow this  
Jim_in_Jax

Can US Consulate Process Paperwork for W7 and ITIN Applications

Jawny

The footnote was to state the basic fact that the ITIN was being requested for a dependent of a USA citizen living overseas. Included were school records and other local documents showing residency of the child. 

One more important detail. The block for "other" was checked and the words MILITARY OVERSEAS typed in. 

I suspect it was simply a way to avoid the automatic rejection which happened twice to my first two attempts.......the date of entry was blank, so rejected. 

SkyMan
14 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The block for "other" was checked and the words MILITARY OVERSEAS typed in. 

That would be what got it approved then.  Military stationed overseas are exempt from this rule.  And if the IRS finds out about this you could be in a heap of trouble.

Jawny
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

That would be what got it approved then.  Military stationed overseas are exempt from this rule.  And if the IRS finds out about this you could be in a heap of trouble.

Thanks for the concern. The instructions were followed by the authorized tax representative as provided by the IRS. Nothing improper was done. 

SkyMan
15 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Thanks for the concern. The instructions were followed by the authorized tax representative as provided by the IRS. Nothing improper was done. 

I do not think Ron is a qualified IRS tax representative but even if she was, You signed the W-7 indicating you were active duty military assigned overseas.  There are lots of ways one can reduce tax liability if you don't care about the consequences.  Bad enough for yourself but then to advise others to take that risk themselves?

Jawny

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/acceptance-agents-philippines

The W7 form will include the applicants name as well as the Accepting Agent. As well, the Accepting Agent submits a supplement which indicates what documents were reviewed which is called a "Certificate of Accuracy".  This is signed by the Acceptance Agent, separately from the client.  

It is not my custom to provide advice others to conduct themselves in an illegal manner.  

Just to be clear......here is the quote from the IRS as guidance to the Acceptance Agent, the one who assisted myself...."We have established the following procedures to hopefully eliminate the rejection of applications for adopted children of U.S. citizens living abroad.  Write 'Military Overseas' to the right of Reason for Applying 'h' .  This will prevent  future rejects."

This guidance was from the IRS ITIN Program Office.  

Edited by Jawny

Daddle
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

For a spouse?  And an emailed scan of her pp?  That is illegal but whatever works.

Oh yeah. You are correct. Her passport was sent to and fro. I forgot about that small extra work. The acceptance office seemed more complicated and expensive at the time.