Nick62

Places to Eat in Cebu City

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

For pizza I like Calda pizza..  though their new menu no longer has the spicy one I used to like best.  They make it in front of you.  Not frozen and heated.

Edited by to_dave007

mikewright

Mang Inasal is a popular chain which does a good grilled chicken meal and a pretty good halo halo.

Good Italian food and pizza at Vienna Italian Restaurant at 66 General Maxilom Ave. Pizzas are the thin crust variety with good toppings.

Agree with Bosshog about the food at STK ta Bay. Great seafood.  Wasn't overly fond of the grilled tuna jaw but wife loved it.

Arano's (Spanish) restaurant in Fairlaine Village in Guadalupe does a good paella and prices are very reasonable. A small restaurant with an outdoor garden area for eating, best to book ahead. Also a good idea to ring ahead if you want the paella, as it takes a while to cook.

Favourite upmarket restaurant is Circa 1900. Best service I've come across so far in Cebu. Consistently excellent food in a beautiful setting. Expensive by Cebu standards, P875 for Australian Beef Ribeye steak for example, but IMO worth every centavo. They also do a pretty good Australian meat pie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

mikewright

Good breakfast place is the Abaca Baking Company at Crossroads Mall Banilad or in Ayala Centre. Their skillet breakfast hits the spot if you like big breakfasts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

GBT62
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mikewright said:

Good breakfast place is the Abaca Baking Company at Crossroads Mall Banilad or in Ayala Centre. Their skillet breakfast hits the spot if you like big breakfasts.

Yeah I have to agree the Abaca chain of companies has consistent and decent food. That includes Abaca Baking Company - their biscuits and gravy brekkie plate is huge and tasty - feeds 2 really.  A pity though they tend to overcook their pies, sausage rolls and chicken turnovers till they are too brown  - still edible though if you haven't had one for a while :)

They also own Phat Pho (decent Vietnamese options that are light food), Luncheonette (American short order) and Red Lizard - decent mexican with cold beer :thumbsup:

I really liked Spice Fusion at Seaside - big tasty portions of all kinds of asian mixes. We went to Seaside 2 weeks ago to find it - and a lot of the restaurants on the top floor closed - permanently :huh:   Not sure if their SM City branch is still open.

Edited by GBT62
  • Like 3

BossHog
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

For pizza I like Calda pizza.. 

My favorite of theirs is the succulenta, Not a bad pie for a chain resto. And if you order the 40-incher Monster Pizza you can feed half the town. A table-full of an anchovy and caper pizza always brings a smile to my face/ 40" ain't no small pizza.

Succulenta

Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese, Anchovies, Capers, Mushrooms, Black Olives, Roasted Garlic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

My favorite of theirs is the succulenta, Not a bad pie for a chain resto. And if you order the 40-incher Monster Pizza you can feed half the town. A table-full of an anchovy and caper pizza always brings a smile to my face/ 40" ain't no small pizza.

Succulenta

Tomato Sauce, Mozzarella Cheese, Anchovies, Capers, Mushrooms, Black Olives, Roasted Garlic

I hear Greg's Place and Fred's Place both serve up a pretty good pizza...:P

• Like 2

Headshot
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Soupeod said:

IMHO Shakey’s pizza here is horrible.

When it comes to pizza, it is all a matter of taste (and taste is often a matter of what you grew up with). I have never had a bad pizza at Shakey's here, and I have eaten at the Shakey's in SM City Cebu, Ayala Center and IT Park.

11 hours ago, Soupeod said:

The Henry hotel has a great restro and food.

Agreed. Good food.

9 hours ago, savarity said:

The only place in Cebu City that really rises above, within its specific cuisine, is Yushoken, a Japanese Ramen place at Oakridge mall, near Banilad, on AS Fortuna st. In regard to tonkotsu ramen, it is equal to some of the best ramen houses in Japan.

And their tantanmen is even better than their tonkatsu (IMHO). It is one of my favorite restaurants.

5 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

There are dozens of places to eat in Cebu IT Park. Something to satisfy most anyone. 

And the Pyramid is one of those. Eclectic menu that is a bit out of the ordinary (grilled ostrich anybody?).

3 hours ago, mikewright said:

And their lunch ain't bad either. It is the only place in the Cebu metro area where you can get a good Reuben sandwich.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

TequilaSunset

House of Lechon, (Near Ayala) get there by 4:00-4:30 if you want a chance for crispy skin.

• Like 1

RangerUp
39 minutes ago, Headshot said:

And the Pyramid is one of those.

Worst pizza and pasta I ever tried to eat, it was just the only thing open.

A good rule about pizza in Cebu, if they don't sell a Margarita pizza, it's not gonna be good.

Nostra is good, Pigafetta is good, La Bella and Guiseppe used to be good but they got hit by the Cebu curse of decreasing quality.

• Like 1

to_dave007
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

And if you order the 40-incher Monster Pizza you can feed half the town. A table-full of an anchovy and caper pizza always brings a smile to my face/ 40" ain't no small pizza.

The box for that sucker is huge..  Brought a smile to MY face the first time I saw them strap that on the back of a bike for delivery.

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

I hear Greg's Place and Fred's Place both serve up a pretty good pizza...:P

Promo pricing too..  

• Like 1

savarity

Pizza at Tavolata, (AS Fortuna and Ayala 4th floor) used to be ok, but I had one a few weeks ago and their crust had an odd, almost puff pastry quality to it. Along with being mildly sweet. Disappointing because it is difficult to find a good pizza here.

• Like 1

Headshot
23 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Worst pizza and pasta I ever tried to eat, it was just the only thing open.

Maybe so. With all of the dishes that are on their menu, I have never thought to try their pizza and pasta. I go there to get something different.

• Like 1

rep1

Pig & Palm for creative dishes and wide alcohol selection!

on 2nd or 3rd floor of the new Robinson mall (close to SM city mall) there is a Guandonese restaurant, big red banner, closest one to the sea-facing window. That's some real Chinese food (the kind that's not like Filipino food).

Wake up at 10am so you can have breakfast at lunch places. Western breakfasts in Cebu are generally very boring. I used to eat breakfast in Quest hotel but they stopped offering all the desert wines and coffee cocktails.

New Orleans' raw oysters only come after 2pm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RangerUp
12 hours ago, rep1 said:

a Guandonese restaurant, big red banner, closest one to the sea-facing window. That's some real Chinese food (the kind that's not like Filipino food).

What's the name? ....and what's "Guandonese"?

BossHog
9 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

what's "Guandonese"?

Cantonese.

• Thanks 2