Sign in to follow this  
Nick62

Places to Eat in Cebu City

Headshot
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

Also - if youEVER tasted a real Pizza - ALL of those franchsie Pizzas are just CRAP ! And believe me I tried them all.
Sbarro is the WORST of all, followd by Shakeys, Greenwich, Pizzahut and all. In fact they sell you a big amount of bread dough sprinkeld with imitation cheese and cheap meat.

Shakey's - there is no comparison between Shakey's in the US and Shakey's here. Shakey's here (at least the hand-tossed variety) is far superior to Shakey's in the US (if it even still exists). Shakey's here uses real cheeses (3) and high-quality ingredients. The sauce is a traditional (not Filipino) pizza sauce.

Sbarro - if you like it in the US, you will like it here. It is identical. Sbarro has always been a thick crust (bready) pizza, so if you like that, you will like it, and if you don't, then you won't like it. They use real cheese, real sauce and good ingredients.

Pizza Hut - is Pizza Hut. Again, their pizza is pretty much the same as in the US. It is a low-cost, low quality pizza, but they do use real cheese (but maybe not the best quality cheese.

Greenwich - I can't figure out why you would even include them in your list. Greenwich pizza isn't even pizza. They use a thin pressed crust, sweet Filipino sauce, fake cheese and poor-quality ingredients. It certainly isn't something that most Americans would like.

• Like 2

Goetz1965
1 hour ago, Nick62 said:

Thanks Goetz1965 for that info. Have you eaten at any good places you can recommend? Happy Easter

As said before Kuja J ist very good for the Crsipy Pata and the other things.

I liked aMajestic at first for their beef, but after eating it for some time I must say its just cooked beef with the same gravy than everywhere. And they are one of those restaurants that dont cook carrots and broccoli for example. Luckily I HAVE good teeth to bite ...

The big foodcourt in SM City is also a cheap and good place - BUT - alsways eat where many people go - and look how fresh the food is. 
And if you get food that was already cooked last week (you WILL taste it) than complain ! Thats the only way of stopping them doing it.

Seafood Island in Ayala still is goood - but with the new manager running it for the last year the quality has decreased.

I like using Salt Restaurant and Vienna Kaffeehouse (near Ayala/IT Park) for ordering with Honestbee.
They are not expensive and the have very good quality food (also its still warm when arriving as they just have a 5min. ride)

The Beer Barrel in Banilad Town Center is a german pub that servers german food 

Max's Restaurant usually have crispy and good chicken - but Dont go to Max's Restaurant in Ayala - they serve the smallest plates I ever had in any of their branches - its a ripoff in Ayala !

Kenny Rogers Roasters is good too - especially as you can order the side dishes alone - the baked potatoes in garlic butter taste delicious.

Jollibee still is one of the best for a fast snack - McDo only if you need a BigMac with its gravy - but still for a Burger I prefer BurgerKing.

DONT go to this new MyJoy - even for the price they offer the servings are too tiny

Chooby Chooby has a very delicious Fish and also their other dishes are quite delicious.

If you go to J Centre Mall for reneming your VISA - go to TSIBOOM Native Restaurant - not expensive and very delicious 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bkdubs

There is a huge difference between western food and what you will get in the Philippines, 

Burgers, the mcdo, or jolibee burgers I cant stand (mcdo was the Philippine version burger for Philippines, rest of mcdonalds burgers are the same as the us not sure if they still offer that or not)

Dont be shy to ask if made with Australian beef, im not that picky an eater besides lots of fat (which is almost everything lol) but imported beef is huge difference in taste

Traditional meals have a lot of fat, if you like it you will be in heaven lol

I love street vender  Chicken, rotary (why cant spell check find the right word for me??) the chicken seems to not have all the antibiotics and crap in them to make them grow big as in the usa, would have to research that to be sure, but very tasty 

had some awesome pork chops on a stick from a BBQ stand in Feb, love it. just got to look past the chicken feet and intestines on a stick :)

Pizza, you will be dissapointed  if you dont go with a well known brand more than likely. the cheese is just not well cheese 

Ginnaling and Lumpia are normally good wherever and is my fall back if not sure if ill like something. (used to be adobo also, but tops of cebu adobo chicken and pork was well, i did not eat it)

Always good to get some fresh ripe mango on the street, or a pineapple, get them to trim it for you if not such skilled 

You will have to try things, I love the Philippine fruit salad, Your Lady should be able to help explain the tastes.

There was a good Dim Sum restaurant in Ayala not sure if its still there, for some real Chinese food (not usa Chinese stuff)

Spaghetti will be more sweet. maybe have hot dogs in it....

so in a nut shell, cheese needs to be imported, along with beef.  

Carendarias in the smaller towns are actually better than better restaurants that are not REALLY busy as the food will be pre made and sitting out cold, to be warmed up (not always but more often than not) and not always brought back to proper heat.

if in doubt, find a foreign owned resort, but man you miss out on some adventure if you do that.

sorry was a bit all over the place, hope i helped a little.

• Thanks 2

RangerUp

Check out the Game of Thrones restaurant in Guadalupe, the food's ok but...it's a Game of Thrones themed restaurant, in Cebu.

• Thanks 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

Seafood Island in Ayala still is goood - but with the new manager running it for the last year the quality has decreased.

Agree - took family (10 people - P 5,000) there soon after arriving - good food and large quantities - nobody went hungry

4 of us went yesterday (sister / BIL - they paid 1/2) VERY small portions, but lots of rice and poor prep.

Had a 20% off coupon - Boodle + carafe of tea + extra tea for me = P 1,975 final bill plus good tip to servers  who kept my glass of tea filled (P 135 unlimited - 8  glasses - got to be a joke who could fill it as soon as I finished)

Squid was just barley OK, same with rest of food.

Anyone who has seen my posts in 'ugly dinner' know I eat better than that at home every day.

Not going back again

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3

Nick62

Thanks for the advice. Certainly a lot to choose from and won't starve to death.

Goetz1965

Jonie's Sizzler in SM City (and IT Park) is also very good. Just try their Baby Ribs at just 199 - usually very soft and good amount of meat.
But DONT mistake it with the copy that has a black look named Jonies in Ayala  !

• Thanks 2

Jester
On 4/21/2019 at 3:18 PM, Goetz1965 said:

Lets also tell the truth about most of the Franchises here - they usually dont cook meals, they just heat up premade food in the oven.
You can easily spot this by ordering vegetables - maybe they are even hot but you will bite on mostly RAW material like broccolli, carrots and such will usually be warm but hard.

Also - if youEVER tasted a real Pizza - ALL of those franchsie Pizzas are just CRAP ! And believe me I tried them all.
Sbarro is the WORST of all, followd by Shakeys, Greenwich, Pizzahut and all. In fact they sell you a big amount of bread dough sprinkeld with imitation cheese and cheap meat. And most of the time even the vegetables are not even cooked but just raw.
Same is for burgers, I don't like to know how much rat is in those cheap "59php with rice and softdrink" offers ...
Best burger usually is BurgerKing - but only when they really let the patty on the grill for the amount of time. How often I got my patty half cold from Burger King in Ayala ....

Finding meals with GOOD meat is difficult, and finding TASTY food is difficult too.
Sure you can eat it all - but usually even in higher rpiced franchises you get ripped off for what you get.

I can relate,  the stuff that is called pizza is shocking.  

• Thanks 1

Jester

Not only the pizza but the hot dogs here are not up to western standards and taste really funny

aaa.PNG

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

trthebees
On 4/21/2019 at 7:59 AM, Headshot said:

Shakey's - there is no comparison between Shakey's in the US and Shakey's here. Shakey's here (at least the hand-tossed variety) is far superior to Shakey's in the US (if it even still exists). Shakey's here uses real cheeses (3) and high-quality ingredients. The sauce is a traditional (not Filipino) pizza sauce.

Sbarro - if you like it in the US, you will like it here. It is identical. Sbarro has always been a thick crust (bready) pizza, so if you like that, you will like it, and if you don't, then you won't like it. They use real cheese, real sauce and good ingredients.

Pizza Hut - is Pizza Hut. Again, their pizza is pretty much the same as in the US. It is a low-cost, low quality pizza, but they do use real cheese (but maybe not the best quality cheese.

Greenwich - I can't figure out why you would even include them in your list. Greenwich pizza isn't even pizza. They use a thin pressed crust, sweet Filipino sauce, fake cheese and poor-quality ingredients. It certainly isn't something that most Americans would like.

I'll agree with Shakey's. Been there loads of times, particularly Ayala. Found there pizza, pasta, soups, all pretty good, and you can get a bowl of salad.

I'll mention Pizza republic, found their Pizza good, like the interior. There's one tucked away at the end of a terrace in Ayala. Last time I was there, it was only pizza, don't know if they've expanded the menu.

Nick, a suggestion for lunch if you're with a newly-met Filipina is to simply go to one of the mall food courts and wander up and down all the assorted Philippine food vendors and choose what they like. Unless they've a real hankering after Jollibee [oh dear, not me or my wife], they may like to choose from what they're familiar with and suggest some dishes for you to try.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Soupeod
On 4/21/2019 at 12:01 PM, Headshot said:

Shakey's Pizza - SM City Cebu and Ayala Center. Forget everything you know about Shakey's from the US. Their hand-tossed pizza is really good.

IMHO Shakey’s pizza here is horrible.

Soupeod
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2019 at 2:59 PM, Headshot said:

I totally disagree with your comment. Crap cheese... little sauce and shite tasting toppings.

Edited by Soupeod

Soupeod

Found a little Italian place in SM city that was good.

Marco polo hotel restro has good pizza  and food.

The Henry hotel has a great restro and food.

• Thanks 1

savarity

Very broad question. Maybe I can try answering it this way, download the zomato app and search for the type of restaurant you like. By location, price, review score, etc.

The only place in Cebu City that really rises above, within its specific cuisine, is Yushoken, a Japanese Ramen place at Oakridge mall, near Banilad, on AS Fortuna st. In regard to tonkotsu ramen, it is equal to some of the best ramen houses in Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog

There are dozens of places to eat in Cebu IT Park. Something to satisfy most anyone. 

• Like 1