Sign in to follow this  
Jester

water pump and storage tank

Woolf
25 minutes ago, Jester said:

I bring it up at dinner time and people that don't know there arse from a hole in the ground all insist a well cannot be put in here, that no one on Biliran has a drilled well, everyone gets their water from the mountain

Well they could be right

They subdivision I live in, has a deep well, the problem is that salt water is seeping in from the sea, so our water has a high level of salt, we are only 600 meters from the sea

infact it is a problem in the greater cebu city  area

Jester
Just now, Woolf said:

Well they could be right

They subdivision I live in, has a deep well, the problem is that salt water is seeping in from the sea, so our water has a high level of salt, we are only 600 meters from the sea

Past experience gives them about a 1 in 100 chance of being right.  The elevation here is too high to hit seawater unless a 300 foot well were drilled.

• Like 2

Headshot
2 hours ago, Jester said:

Past experience gives them about a 1 in 100 chance of being right.  The elevation here is too high to hit seawater unless a 300 foot well were drilled.

If the water from the barangay is good (as in tastes good), it might be a lot cheaper just to install a big holding tank along with a pressure tank and filters. Even a slow flow from your pipe will fill a holding tank over time. That way, you will know that your water is pure even when the barangay doesn't maintain their pipe properly (a big problem here). A couple of years ago, there was a government study done that said that forty-five percent of the wells in the Philippines are contaminated. That includes water district, municipal and barangay wells as well as private wells. Everyone should filter their water, regardless of the water's source.

You should also check on the legality of drilling a well at your location. A lot of areas of the Philippines no longer allow private wells.

• Like 2

Jester

Well MR always right has egg on his face again.  I checked Google Earth elevations and there is a 45 ft elevation rise between salt water and where the well would go, and about 1km distance.  (I have no idea why the font changed)

It is the constant push back on any new idea that frustrates me.  I am doing much better this trip almost 5 weeks and I have not screamed at anyone yet.

I will bounce the cistrin idea and if it gets nixed, I will wash my hands of the whole thing.

Daddle
13 hours ago, Jester said:

Correct the spring feeds the barangay and the house is on barangay water.   Near impossible to measure water flow.

How can it be impossible? Get a barrel, or whatever, put it under the best tap, measure the time to fill, estimate the barrel capacity. Try it in the middle of the night too as I notice that at mid-morning here the flow gets quite low but in the late night the tap blasts. With a proper tank you only need part time flow.

Also ask the neighbors about their flow because it would be embarrassing if only your pipe was clogged.

And how to we avoid going nuts? By enjoying the collision of their carefree ignorance with my tedious reasoning. I built a well here in Quezon using what I learned in California. Endless clean water without ever a grain of sand or hint of mud. But the local geniuses had watched me build it. Because they had once in their lifetime seen a well they were all experts and offered their insights forcefully and often. Seeing my ridiculous well actually work reliably was was not persuasive. As they shook their heads they would tell me I must pound a 1 1/4 inch pipe into the ground. That pipe must have a few holes in the side to let the water in, etc, etc. They were hilariously honest that, yes, sand and mud were normal here. That output would be limited to a few bucket fulls then we would wait a few minutes for the little holes to fill the little pipe. If I wanted more water I must pound in a larger pipe...

The father-in-law got together with a few expert neighbors to sneak in here one day while we were away. I suspect the wife was complicit, but that cannot be determined, heh. They ignorantly pounded in their pipe with little holes. Gotta hand it to the geniuses, they were 100% correct on most points: Mud, sand and very limited water was the immediate result. Taking a bath was miserable. And slow. They even took away my old pump and generously installed one they insisted was able to handle sand better.

Absolutely hilarious. I have now restored proper operation. In absolute secrecy. And got my old pump back. I'm pretty sure one could pump thousands of liters of clean water from it, continuously, if one had the endurance.

• Like 4

M.C.A.
11 hours ago, Jester said:

Sooooo, I scour the net and look at drilling wells in the PI's and found some interesting info.

I bring it up at dinner time and people that don't know there arse from a hole in the ground all insist a well cannot be put in here, that no one on Biliran has a drilled well, everyone gets their water from the mountain.

How do you guys manage to stay here, drives me nuts!

And that's just one of the many issues that used to drive me nuts also so I stopped talking to others and tried to find answers on my own, so do the hardware stores sell these manual pumps?  Just curious if not then you might have something there but if they do sell them then a well would be the way to go.

• Like 1

Barryrio

Our set-up here in Valencia is as described by Headshot to cope with the same situation. Water switched off several hours a day and after very heavy rainfall. Can never have too much storage lol!

57364758_10217157674747454_6235110740655603712_o.jpg

58113555_10217157674067437_7894421413585485824_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Barryrio

Forgot to mention the cost: Tank 21,000 Pressure tank 8,000 and water pump 4,500 pesos.

• Like 2

Jester

I tried, I really did.  Will not go for a well, even though I am the one willing to pay for it.  A cistrin is out of the question for some reason will not work here and someone will put something in it.   

With what little water they have I am washing my hands of it,  they can all go without washing and die of thirst as far as I care,  too damn frustrating.

Thanks for all the input and ideas, greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Jester
Just now, Daddle said:

How can it be impossible? Get a barrel, or whatever, put it under the best tap, measure the time to fill, estimate the barrel capacity. Try it in the middle of the night too as I notice that at mid-morning here the flow gets quite low but in the late night the tap blasts. With a proper tank you only need part time flow.

Also ask the neighbors about their flow because it would be embarrassing if only your pipe was clogged.

And how to we avoid going nuts? By enjoying the collision of their carefree ignorance with my tedious reasoning. I built a well here in Quezon using what I learned in California. Endless clean water without ever a grain of sand or hint of mud. But the local geniuses had watched me build it. Because they had once in their lifetime seen a well they were all experts and offered their insights forcefully and often. Seeing my ridiculous well actually work reliably was was not persuasive. As they shook their heads they would tell me I must pound a 1 1/4 inch pipe into the ground. That pipe must have a few holes in the side to let the water in, etc, etc. They were hilariously honest that, yes, sand and mud were normal here. That output would be limited to a few bucket fulls then we would wait a few minutes for the little holes to fill the little pipe. If I wanted more water I must pound in a larger pipe...

The father-in-law got together with a few expert neighbors to sneak in here one day while we were away. I suspect the wife was complicit, but that cannot be determined, heh. They ignorantly pounded in their pipe with little holes. Gotta hand it to the geniuses, they were 100% correct on most points: Mud, sand and very limited water was the immediate result. Taking a bath was miserable. And slow. They even took away my old pump and generously installed one they insisted was able to handle sand better.

Absolutely hilarious. I have now restored proper operation. In absolute secrecy. And got my old pump back. I'm pretty sure one could pump thousands of liters of clean water from it, continuously, if one had the endurance.

I see you understand what I am up against!  Grateful I do not live here.

RogerDuMond
13 hours ago, Woolf said:

Well they could be right

Sounds to me like the problem there is that they didn't drill deep enough. They only went to ground water instead of going to the aquifer.

Woolf
2 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Sounds to me like the problem there is that they didn't drill deep enough. They only went to ground water instead of going to the aquifer.

The subdivision has 2 more wells,  not so deep, those are within the recommended level, but on the high side, they do not give enough water

anyway salt water is heavier than water without salt

Articles to read:  https://www.google.com/search?q=cebu+salt+water+in+wells&oq=cebu+salt+water+in+wells&aqs=chrome..69i57.11975j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Headshot
3 hours ago, Jester said:

I tried, I really did.  Will not go for a well, even though I am the one willing to pay for it.  A cistern is out of the question for some reason will not work here and someone will put something in it.   

With what little water they have I am washing my hands of it,  they can all go without washing and die of thirst as far as I care,  too damn frustrating.

Thanks for all the input and ideas, greatly appreciated.

Is the house yours or theirs? If it is yours, put in what you want and don't ask for input. If it is theirs, let them handle things however they want to (as long as it doesn't cost you money). Some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about, so just ignore their complaining when their traditional solutions don't work. They never worked for anybody else either, but were just passed down as "Old Joe" traditions. As one of the posters said, the way to remain sane while living here is to not ask questions of Filipinos (unless you want to do it their way). That way, you don't get walls thrown up in front of you at every turn and people sabotaging your projects because they think you don't know what you are doing. When it is your project, do your own research and keep your own counsel. Even if you are working with a Filipino contractor, you have to keep overall control over the job unless you want them to revert to their old ways of doing things. By keeping total control over your projects, you get what you want and you aren't always "kicking against the pricks" (arguing against people who think they know better than you). In turn, when it isn't your project, let them figure it out on their own, since they aren't likely to take your suggestions anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RogerDuMond
14 minutes ago, Woolf said:

anyway salt water is heavier than water without salt

Yes, but except in cases of sever drought, the aquifer is separated from ground water by solid rock.

Woolf
1 minute ago, RogerDuMond said:

Yes, but except in cases of sever drought, the aquifer is separated from ground water by solid rock.

did you take the link I posted ?? and read any of the articles there ??

Article from 2006  https://www.philstar.com/cebu-news/2006/05/19/337470/address-salt-water-intrusion-mcwd-urges-monitoring-private-well-operation

Alarmed over the worsening saltwater intrusion in underground aquifers, officials of the Metropolitan Cebu Water District called on the National Water Resource Board and the local government units to strictly monitor the operation of private wells. 

http://www.worldresearchlibrary.org/up_proc/pdf/1639-153484394720-24.pdf

INVESTIGATION OF THE STATE AND CONDITION OF SALTWATER INTRUSION IN CEBU CITY AQUIFERS IN THE PHILIPPINES