Sign in to follow this  
Yikes! the universe

Teaching online ESL in the Philippines

Yikes! the universe

Before I really delve into the research on pursuing this, I'm curious if anyone here has an opinion on if its worth the money and effort. I think this would be a good way to earn a little extra cash and kill time till I'm back in the states. I can only do this for about 3 or 4 months in the Philippines. I'm far from retirement and I spend most of my time in the states doing contract work. From what little I read I understand that the teaching agencies vary widely and all of them will have there own protocol and qualifications which vary even more depending on the SEA country. I'm really interested in the legalities of this, so my questions are.

Do you have to get a work visa in the Philippines? and what's the catch?

Do you have to file taxes on this in the Philippines or the USA?

What information/documentation is the typical ESL agency going to ask? 

Can you do this with just a passport and Bank account?

When it comes to the company depositing money, would it be a safe move to open up an US Bank account just for your deposits?

I don't have a foreign bank account nor do I really want one, once again I'm just interested in the legalities of this.

Thanks for reading ^_^

savarity

I don't know about teaching, but I can tell you that if you're a US citizen then you'll always need to file in the US. You can claim credit for foreign taxes paid, etc, gets more complicated than can be put in one post.

As far as the work permit and PI taxes, that probably won't be an issue unless the company you work for is based in PI.

You'll need a reliable Internet connection, which can be a bit of a challenge here.

to_dave007

Search up threads on the subject from the past, and especially any involving LINC member DavidInTalisay… as he has already walked this road.

Soupeod
On 4/19/2019 at 4:56 PM, Yikes! the universe said:

Before I really delve into the research on pursuing this, I'm curious if anyone here has an opinion on if its worth the money and effort. I think this would be a good way to earn a little extra cash and kill time till I'm back in the states. I can only do this for about 3 or 4 months in the Philippines. I'm far from retirement and I spend most of my time in the states doing contract work. From what little I read I understand that the teaching agencies vary widely and all of them will have there own protocol and qualifications which vary even more depending on the SEA country. I'm really interested in the legalities of this, so my questions are.

Do you have to get a work visa in the Philippines? and what's the catch?

Do you have to file taxes on this in the Philippines or the USA?

What information/documentation is the typical ESL agency going to ask? 

Can you do this with just a passport and Bank account?

When it comes to the company depositing money, would it be a safe move to open up an US Bank account just for your deposits?

I don't have a foreign bank account nor do I really want one, once again I'm just interested in the legalities of this.

Thanks for reading ^_^

• Like 1

Barryrio

Everything you wanted to know is here: