Nick62

Cebu Hotel Advice

bkdubs

If confused, stick with something close to Ayala, i figured by seedy you meant not safe.

There will always be things that will shock you if this is your first trip. part of that is beggars and people trying to sell you things.

I always just say Dili  when confronted by a seller.  (no)

Beggars ya just have to ignore.  Im not sure the situation now, but back in the day the beggars are working for someone else.

• Like 1

Nick62
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

oh man i give up in this thread.  hey Nick feel free to send us a PM when it gets close to the time to fly here and we will help you and your gal make comfortable hotel arrangements and get settled when you arrive.  :biggrin_01:

Thanks...don't know how to PM. 

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I will google the ones given to check them out.

Edited by Nick62

Kahuna
8 minutes ago, Nick62 said:

Thanks...don't know how to PM.

There used to be a minimum number of posts made before you could use the PM feature but I've seen Mods/Admins poppin into a new members posts and resetting their ability to use that feature so maybe one will hop to it here Nick.  :hi:

lamoe
15 hours ago, Headshot said:

In my opinion, the Fuente Circle area is a bit seedy, with lots of people begging and selling (whatever) on the street.

14 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

fuente of old was a bit seedy but that was years ago.  there is a huge police presence in the fuente/mango area nowadays and most of the street stalls have been removed by the mayor. 

Agree with Fred on this

Fuentes 2 years ago was an obstacle course of pushy vendors - especially at night - will still get approached but if you decline they don't push it.

I do recommend installing Google maps   - can input hotel name  - set as home then input destination -  choice of  walking, mulicab (by route number) or taxi  - also Offline Maps and Navigation on phone (no net needed) find out exactly where you are

Used it and Windows Snipping Tool for below - taxi to SM City just a rough guide

image.thumb.png.ee1f2d8acdc14ecc007830eaa69afcef.png

image.png.31994e58854923a10054036436a4c8d8.png

Nick62

Skyped with her before...she is happy to stay in  Fuente Osmena for easy get about.

Have googled hotels mentioned here. Will work something out soon. Thanks for the advice.

SkyMan
On 4/20/2019 at 2:12 AM, bkdubs said:

i figured by seedy you meant not safe.

Not really not safe, just a bit uncomfortable or unpleasant.  If you're used to cities it's fine.  As more  of a country boy so my times downtown were stressful.  If you're more of a country boy you look at the Ayala area or the Montebello Hotel behind Country Mall which has great pools and grounds.  Not a long taxi to Ayala for a bigger mall.  Not sure if you're a swimmer but there's a good chance she's not so teaching her to swim would be fun.  If you're going up to Danao, the El Salvador hotel is good and has a nice resto.  You might want to get to know her family before you take the plunge of staying there.  If you're getting in late you might want a night in a place closer to the airport.  The Crown Regency Suites is at the other end of the airport from where you come in and is a short taxi ride.  It's probably the closest to a western Hotel you can find in Cebu.  Food is so so but I haven't been there in years so it may have improved.  Decent rates can be found on the hotel booking sites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nick62
13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Not really not safe, just a bit uncomfortable or unpleasant.  If you're used to cities it's fine.  As more  of a country boy so my times downtown were stressful.  If you're more of a country boy you look at the Ayala area or the Montebello Hotel behind Country Mall which has great pools and grounds.  Not a long taxi to Ayala for a bigger mall.  Not sure if you're a swimmer but there's a good chance she's not so teaching her to swim would be fun.  If you're going up to Danao, the El Salvador hotel is good and has a nice resto.  You might want to get to know her family before you take the plunge of staying there.  If you're getting in late you might want a night in a place closer to the airport.  The Crown Regency Suites is at the other end of the airport from where you come in and is a short taxi ride.  It's probably the closest to a western Hotel you can find in Cebu.  Food is so so but I haven't been there in years so it may have improved.  Decent rates can be found on the hotel booking sites.

Will spend a few days in the city with her to get a feel of true connection before deciding whether to go to Danao with her Have chatted as best as possible on skype with her mum and daughter. Both seem very nice and friendly

Ozepete
4 hours ago, Nick62 said:

Will spend a few days in the city with her to get a feel of true connection before deciding whether to go to Danao with her Have chatted as best as possible on skype with her mum and daughter. Both seem very nice and friendly

All the best for you both. Reading this reminds me of meeting my now wife face to face for the first time after more than a year of phone calls, emails etc. Likewise we both agreed to meet and either had the right to walk away at any time, no hard feelings. We met, and like you we spent several days together and fortunately we just clicked. Went to Panalipan (past Danao) to meet her two young boys and family. I came back to Cebu about a month later and we were married at Montebello (great venue) and the rest is history. That was nearly twenty years ago and the best thing I ever did. I ended up with a great wife, partner and best friend and two adopted sons who are terrific.   I hope you two can make it also, be tolerant, patient and open minded and you will.  

• Like 7

bkdubs
7 hours ago, SkyMan said:

highly recommend el salvador based on 2008 and before, if its still the same.  if i remember correctly not far from Danoa. 

we would stop by any time we get close JUST to eat. 

My first time in 02, i even got used to no hot water showers, just take a nice walk before and you will be sweated and the cold water will feel good (they offer hot water showers for additional) the pool is very nice there also.

Definitely get Tocino for breakfast :)   have not found any as good as there in my many trips.

• Thanks 1

Nick62
9 hours ago, Ozepete said:

All the best for you both. Reading this reminds me of meeting my now wife face to face for the first time after more than a year of phone calls, emails etc. Likewise we both agreed to meet and either had the right to walk away at any time, no hard feelings. We met, and like you we spent several days together and fortunately we just clicked. Went to Panalipan (past Danao) to meet her two young boys and family. I came back to Cebu about a month later and we were married at Montebello (great venue) and the rest is history. That was nearly twenty years ago and the best thing I ever did. I ended up with a great wife, partner and best friend and two adopted sons who are terrific.   I hope you two can make it also, be tolerant, patient and open minded and you will.  

Nice story. Fingers crossed we head that way too.

• Like 1

hyaku
Posted (edited)

I have stayed at the Diplomat since before they added the extension. Around when Living in Cebu groups were formed. They refurbished it a few years ago but prices are the same. Also stayed around Fuente. I stayed in the hotel above Robinson when I worked at SCU getting a good discount for staff and old students. I have walked the area around 15 years. Rugby boys/users touted the area and slept on the Robinson walkover.  PNP occasionally clean out the DVD sellers etc. etc. Beggars? They are everwhere. Go to the mall and Clyde the American beggar will tap you for money But seedy and not safe? I might get flamed for this but my suggestion is if you think that's bad it might be a good idea not to come to the Philippines!  Fuente is convenient with two Robinsons, and countless places for food. Just a quick taxi ride to get to other places and go see some live music at night. 

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 2

Dafey
41 minutes ago, hyaku said:

I might get flamed for this but my suggestion is if you think that's bad it might be a good idea not to come to the Philippines! 

No, you're correct. Some people would not be comfortable with the beggars, hawkers and constantly being paged, "My Friend"! If someone can't deal with these things, (or ignore them), they will not like the Philippines.

hyaku
3 minutes ago, Dafey said:

No, you're correct. Some people would not be comfortable with the beggars, hawkers and constantly being paged, "My Friend"! If someone can't deal with these things, (or ignore them), they will not like the Philippines.

Well it is a third world country. Getting better but still long way to go and it wont happen in my lifetime. Off out to town shopping soon. When I get there I see all the usual faces. The Badjao have already eaten together, traded babies and taken up their respected points. The rarely bother me as they know my response since one threw food at me that I offered. It is what it is.  If people come here for a cheap living they should accept the downside to things.

• Like 1

GwapoGuy

Like Hyaku, I have stayed in countless hotels in the Fuente area too numerous to mention. But I would like to suggest two hotels that I have stayed in recently and I really like them --  so much so I could spend weeks there.

First is ABC Hotel on Ramos (not as far down as Diplomat). Super clean and surrounded by eateries and convenience stores. Fairly new hotel which is always fully booked.

Second is the Cebu R on Don Mariano Cui Street a few blocks north of the circle but considered the Capital district. The hotel only has about 40 units but are well appointed with walk in shower and box spring mattress. Breakfast also comes with the room and is decent. Book early because this property sells out.

easy44
2 minutes ago, GwapoGuy said:

Like Hyaku, I have stayed in countless hotels in the Fuente area too numerous to mention. But I would like to suggest two hotels that I have stayed in recently and I really like them --  so much so I could spend weeks there.

First is ABC Hotel on Ramos (not as far down as Diplomat). Super clean and surrounded by eateries and convenience stores. Fairly new hotel which is always fully booked.

Second is the Cebu R on Don Mariano Cui Street a few blocks north of the circle but considered the Capital district. The hotel only has about 40 units but are well appointed with walk in shower and box spring mattress. Breakfast also comes with the room and is decent. Book early because this property sells out.

I agree about the ABC Hotel. My wife and I have stayed there 3 times and like it for all the reasons you mentioned. Cheapest room is 1500 and well worth it. Never stayed at the Cebu R.