Sign in to follow this  
Nick62

Cebu Hotel Advice

Nick62

Hello, thanks for the welcomes. 

I will be going to Cebu in a couple of months to meet a girl that am in contact with by Skype for 4 months who I met through Filipino Cupid dating site. 

She seems genuine and lives in Danao.

I was thinking to stay in the city with her for a few days so to get a connection in real life before going to meet her family in Danao. She is happy with that.

I googled some hotels that will fit my budget. They are

The Diplomat Hotel

Fuente Pension House 

Hotel Le Carmen

Sampaguita Suites

Apple Tree Suites

Palladium Suites

Has any body stayed at these places and can recommend which is the best one?

trevorclap007
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Nick62 said:

Hello, thanks for the welcomes. 

I will be going to Cebu in a couple of months to meet a girl that am in contact with by Skype for 4 months who I met through Filipino Cupid dating site. 

She seems genuine and lives in Danao.

I was thinking to stay in the city with her for a few days so to get a connection in real life before going to meet her family in Danao. She is happy with that.

I googled some hotels that will fit my budget. They are

The Diplomat Hotel

Fuente Pension House 

Hotel Le Carmen

Sampaguita Suites

Apple Tree Suites

Palladium Suites

Has any body stayed at these places and can recommend which is the best one?

I've stayed at The Diplomat and Apple Tree years ago. The Diplomat has better and cleaner rooms between the 2. I've also viewed the rooms at Sampaguita Suites and Palladium and didn't like them. Except for The Diplomat, all the other hotels you listed are located near Fuente Osmena. Which is more convenient, as there are more restaurants and shops there. The Diplomat is about 2 to 300 meters away. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by trevorclap007
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

Jester

A good first time choice in Cebu is Casa Rosario,  decent rooms and not a very long walk from anything.  I likeit because it is a very short walk to a 7/11, coffee shop and internet cafe.  I was there last week and nothing much has changed.

Not that you asked but I would not book for more than 1 or 2 nights in case you do not like the place, can always move on and try something else.

https://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/default/DestinationSearchResult.aspx?selectedproperty=289484&city=4001&hid=289484&site_id=1646619&tag=23cc7cbb-0db4-db46-1edd-c77a348cb415&device=c&network=g&adid=333351522657&rand=17256630844306157085&expid=&adpos=1t1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwODlBRDuARIsAMy_28WlH0N5UwFN9lOfdJP6TjHAoQ_-EyMDWmPY6CU5YJA7u2RtqoQ1bZkaAiEZEALw_wcB

Make sure internet girl does not come with a tail:lmao:

• Like 1

Nick62

Thanks for that  info. She has never stayed in the city but Fuente Osmena is exactly where she said was a central location for getting about.

We will work it out eventually. Just don't want to book into a dodgy place. 

Nick62

Not sure what you mean with internet girl having a tail

RogerDuMond
37 minutes ago, Nick62 said:

Not sure what you mean with internet girl having a tail

It was his attempt at a joke that missed the mark. I think he meant to move slowly and be sure of what type of person she is. Don't feel like you have to impress her with your wallet when your personality will do.

• Like 4

baby43

The last time we were in Cebu we stayed at the Abc hotel its fairly new, we liked there, however moved out after 3 days could not get internet connection, we went to the Well Hotel short distance away, that a fairly new hotel you get buffet breakfast included in the tariff nothing  flash but ok , also stayed in the Diplomat hotel in the past its ok all there hotels close to the 711 shop plenty of eating places close by, also not far by taxi to Sm mall and Ayala malls.

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, Nick62 said:

We will work it out eventually. Just don't want to book into a dodgy place. 

all the places you mentioned are just fine.  nothing dodgy at all.  out of them all i would pick the fuente pension house.  it has a decent economical but stylish upper floor restaurant and the place is nicely run by a good family.  it is also a relatively quiet spot yet a 30 second walk to fuente circle via the connecting walkways in two large buildings across the street.  the diplomat would be my second choice but as mentioned it is a hike down ramos st. from fuente circle and you're limited in food offerings in the sta. cruz neighborhood.  

• Like 2

Headshot

Nick, I'm not sure what your budget is, but if it were me doing what you are, I would select one of the hotels close to Ayala Center Mall. You can easily find them by looking at Ayala Center Mall on Google Maps and checking the surrounding area for hotels. That way, you are assured that there will be plenty of dining opportunities close by. In my opinion, the Fuente Circle area is a bit seedy, with lots of people begging and selling (whatever) on the street. A bad experience in a hotel or an area can ruin the entire experience for you and your lady friend. Another possibility is the Mango Park Hotel on General Maxilom Avenue, which has a nice little secluded covered pool on the roof level.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

jtmwatchbiz
5 minutes ago, Headshot said:

the Fuente Circle area is a bit seedy, with lots of people begging and selling (whatever) on the street. A bad experience in a hotel or an area can ruin the entire experience for you and your lady friend.

fuente of old was a bit seedy but that was years ago.  there is a huge police presence in the fuente/mango area nowadays and most of the street stalls have been removed by the mayor.  no one's going to have a "bad experience" staying in the fuente area.  locating oneself in the ayala mall area is uninspiring and extremely limiting as far as experiencing the true cebu city vibe,  and staying at mango park hotel is way off the charts location-wise and would require a taxi ride to access any uptown food venues.  if a pool is appealing then the vacation hotel a short walk from fuente down on juana osmena st. would be a much better option and a much cleaner and pleasant facility.  for someone on their first cebu city visit the OP and his gal are right on target since the fuente area is ideal for an initial stay and jumping off point. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Jester
Just now, baby43 said:

The last time we were in Cebu we stayed at the Abc hotel its fairly new, we liked there, however moved out after 3 days could not get internet connection, we went to the Well Hotel short distance away, that a fairly new hotel you get buffet breakfast included in the tariff nothing  flash but ok , also stayed in the Diplomat hotel in the past its ok all there hotels close to the 711 shop plenty of eating places close by, also not far by taxi to Sm mall and Ayala malls.

I stayed at ABC a few weeks ago for 1 night.  I see no issue with it either, Did not need internet. Had breakfast in restaurant down stairs and it was good.  Also stayed in Premier Citi Suites which I really use to like.  They put in all new Panasonic AC and while not loud they have a horrible base noise to them so will not be staying again.

A biggie for me at times is in room safe and ST Marks across from Redemtorist is the hands down winner, safe will hold a laptop.  1900p single online without breakfast or 3000p (yes 3000!) at the front desk with breakfast.

I did have to walk from Fuente area to Ayala around 6pm as all the cabs and jeepneys were full.

I cannot argue with anyone but I also consider Fuente area seedy,  better than 10 years ago, but still seedy.    

• Like 1

enoonmai

I've been away for a few years but there was a hotel right next to or connected to the Ayala Mall, I think it was a Marriott but they pulled out. Then there was the fire. Is there still a hotel it that same spot?

Headshot
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, enoonmai said:

I've been away for a few years but there was a hotel right next to or connected to the Ayala Mall, I think it was a Marriott but they pulled out. Then there was the fire. Is there still a hotel it that same spot?

It is now called the Seda Hotel, and it is owned by Ayala. In reality, it is just like it was when it was a Marriott.

2 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

fuente of old was a bit seedy but that was years ago.  there is a huge police presence in the fuente/mango area nowadays and most of the street stalls have been removed by the mayor.  no one's going to have a "bad experience" staying in the fuente area.  locating oneself in the ayala mall area is uninspiring and extremely limiting as far as experiencing the true cebu city vibe,  and staying at mango park hotel is way off the charts location-wise and would require a taxi ride to access any uptown food venues.  if a pool is appealing then the vacation hotel a short walk from fuente down on juana osmena st. would be a much better option and a much cleaner and pleasant facility.  for someone on their first cebu city visit the OP and his gal are right on target since the fuente area is ideal for an initial stay and jumping off point. 

And that is your opinion, which is worth no more than my opinion. The last time I was at Fuente Circle was just a couple of weeks ago. There were still people trying to sell things on the sidewalks, and there were still beggars. I don't know what Nick is looking for in a Cebu experience any more than you do, but he should keep his possibilities open. Ayala is in a much better part of town than Fuente is, and there are a hell of a lot more dining and entertainment venues in the Ayala area than there are in the Fuente area. If he is looking for a "real" Cebu City experience, then maybe he should find someplace to stay in Calamba or one of the other "real" barangays. I have a feeling Nick is just looking for someplace where he and his lady can be comfortable and get to know each other better. The Cebu City experience is likely a distant second.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

jtmwatchbiz

oh man i give up in this thread.  hey Nick feel free to send us a PM when it gets close to the time to fly here and we will help you and your gal make comfortable hotel arrangements and get settled when you arrive.  :biggrin_01:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

savarity

Yes, there are still beggars and street sellers on Fuente Circle. I walk by them almost everyday. Not a huge problem.

Pillows hotel is another ok, newer (opened late 2015) hotel in that area. 1500p a night.

• Like 2