Sign in to follow this  
Jester

Flush Mount kitchen sink, simply amazing

Jester

I try to keep my nose out of things around here as much as I can.  Unless I see something like them going into the shower with an extension cord I ignore as much as I can.

Had the kitchen counter redone and considering the guy had to fix a hack job, not too bad of a job.  But had to insist and stand there and watch that they use water for the sink cutout done in the house to keep dust to a minimum.  

I find this one amazing,   I have seen surface mount sinks and undermount sink,  never a flushmount.

The hole in the granite is cut slightly larger than the sink. The sink is set flush with the surface in concrete and grouted after cement has set.

Is this like a common practice in  other countries, never seen it in the US.

IMG_0009.JPG

aaa.PNG

to_dave007

Mine is same

• Like 1

Salty Dog

Most Corian sinks are attached  in a similar way, but using adhesive. A corian sink to counter connection is virtually seamless and appears to be a single formed piece.

Sweet-881_All_white_Crop.jpg

• Like 4

lamoe
52 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Most Corian sinks are attached  in a similar way, but using adhesive. A corian sink to counter connection is virtually seamless and appears to be a single formed piece.

Mine was same

Had the dual bowl type - large for washing, smaller for rinse / disposal

I put some grooves in the top of the divider  to allow overflow from washing basin to go into disposal one after MIL put stopper in sink and then forgot to shut off water

SkyMan

I've noticed a lot of the sinks here don't have the tabs under the rim for attaching the sink firmly to the counter so stuff doesn't get under the edge.  I really think many of the sinks in the country are just hanging in there by gravity and probably move around a little. 

I wouldn't like the install done in the OP.  It wouldn't take a lot to crack the cement around the sink, perhaps just some flexing from filling the sink and then letting the water out, or a small tremor, and the next time you fill it it drops through.  And even if it doesn't do that you have to live cleaning gunk out of that grout line forever.  Of course, now that nice piece of granite is hosed.

• Like 3

Cgu
11 hours ago, Jester said:

I try to keep my nose out of things around here as much as I can.  Unless I see something like them going into the shower with an extension cord I ignore as much as I can.

Had the kitchen counter redone and considering the guy had to fix a hack job, not too bad of a job.  But had to insist and stand there and watch that they use water for the sink cutout done in the house to keep dust to a minimum.  

I find this one amazing,   I have seen surface mount sinks and undermount sink,  never a flushmount.

The hole in the granite is cut slightly larger than the sink. The sink is set flush with the surface in concrete and grouted after cement has set.

Is this like a common practice in  other countries, never seen it in the US.

IMG_0009.JPG

aaa.PNG

Never seen that before...in no country. I think they just do not plan and do not read manuals. They just look at the things and try to figure out how to install it.

• Like 2

Paddy
8 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I've noticed a lot of the sinks here don't have the tabs under the rim for attaching the sink firmly to the counter so stuff doesn't get under the edge. 

Correct - and it’s the same in our new kitchen. When I saw the sink I wondered why it had been done that way. No possible way to clamp it from the bottom and not much sink material to overlap the counter top either. 

Shake head and move on. 

We have some very nice exterior metal ceiling. Just like aluminum siding. Wait...no pre-cut fastening holes in one edge which will be covered when the next piece is hooked on. Oh well...

At least the installer painted all the rivet heads with the right colour paint!😄

• Like 1

SkyMan
18 hours ago, Jester said:

I have seen surface mount sinks and undermount sink, 

I've never really been a fan of the undermount idea.  It seems to over time there would be some buildup of gunk between the sink and the counter that would be hard to get out.  Technically, Salty's is undermount but it's sealed well enough there wouldn't be that problem.  

10 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I like that but it would take me some time to get used to it.  Every time I look at it it's like there's something missing.  :lol:  Too many years seeing some kind of border around a sink.

Jester

Undermount sinks in the US do not have a track around bottom for clamps, not the ones I have seen anyway.  Clamps are epoxied into the granite for the sink.  Yes the seam between sink and bottom of counter takes cleaning.

This looks odd to me and not how I would do it,  but the way it is installed there is no danger of it falling out!  Time will tell on this one.

Issue here on Biliran is there is not a large supply of tradesman.  Except for tile setters this guy is the only one I have seen who does not do work that looks like a blind, drunk person did it.   He knows it and charges accordingly!  Some of the work done on the inlaws house has been absolutely horrible.

• Like 1