Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lamoe

Green vs yellow bananas

Recommended Posts

lamoe

In Bohol last week - her father grows green bananas (not the Saba fat ones) very sweet - much more than the yellow ones

We  brought back several Kilos - put them in fridge for Smoothies

She adds Pineapple, Mango, Yogurt, puts in freezer for me - it's like a milk shake

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan

I love the green ones when they are ripe which is a little harder to tell. Squeeze them to tell. Don't put bananas that aren't ripe yet in the ref. My favorites are the little fat thin skinned yellow ones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
31 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I love the green ones when they are ripe which is a little harder to tell. Squeeze them to tell. Don't put bananas that aren't ripe yet in the ref. My favorites are the little fat thin skinned yellow ones. 

Very ripe before ref.

Same here - don't really like the thick skin yellows even they are bigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RR3
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Very ripe before ref.

Same here - don't really like the thick skin yellows even they are bigger

Bolongan are the green, sweet ones. Everybody like

Tundan are the small, fatty yellow, Quite plain taste, kids like.

Lakatan is the export quality. Big, yellow sweet. Seldom I buy.

Bukid bananas I call the red big ones. Sometimes buy

There are many more...

Edited by RR3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RangerUp
11 hours ago, RR3 said:

Bolongan are the green, sweet ones. Everybody like

Not sweet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
liquido
16 hours ago, lamoe said:

In Bohol last week - her father grows green bananas (not the Saba fat ones) very sweet - much more than the yellow ones

We  brought back several Kilos - put them in fridge for Smoothies

She adds Pineapple, Mango, Yogurt, puts in freezer for me - it's like a milk shake

I also like the green Banana's alot better than the crappy Lakatan plus the green ones are dirt cheap..To me the green ones have more of a banana flavor but the king is still the Cavendish variety..

 

15 hours ago, RR3 said:

Lakatan is the export quality. Big, yellow sweet. Seldom I buy.

I think they only export the Cavendish variety if you can find them...The owner of the gym I go to owns a banana farm here in the Davao area and occasionally has them at the gym for free but I heard he exports almost all his crop..

The one im trying to find is the Blue Java Banana...They say it tastes like ice cream...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RangerUp
1 hour ago, liquido said:

To me the green ones have more of a banana flavor but the king is still the Cavendish variety..

Only because we were raised on Cavendish and not Lakitan does it seem more 'banana-y'.   But the Cavendish is clearly the milder, weaker fruit; thin-skinned, less-dense, very easy to break and fall the bunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RR3
5 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Not sweet

Plz come here and taste, our bolongan green and sweet :chopper:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RangerUp
37 minutes ago, RR3 said:

Plz come here and taste, our bolongan green and sweet :chopper:

Do they look like this?

7s0n.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe
8 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Not sweet

That's them

Bananas are like hot peppers and onions (Ghost / Vidalia)

Where and how they're grown make the difference

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyaku

We grow a lot. Sell some, eat some and give away to neighbors. Bit of a barter system as we get big bags of avocado in return. Not much on the plantain type but my parner makes a meal of them with coconut milk. Harvested when green I keep them under cover but they ripen so quickly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RR3
11 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Do they look like this?

7s0n.jpg

 

Yes, bolongan is green and sweet. If Yours not sweet, they are not ripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hyaku
On 4/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, RR3 said:

Yes, bolongan is green and sweet. If Yours not sweet, they are not ripe.

They need to be harvested when the first ones are turning a little yellow. They ripen in 48 hours. another sure sign is that nearly all the leaves on the plant are dead. They sell at 50 centavos each. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RangerUp
On 4/20/2019 at 8:19 PM, hyaku said:

They sell at 50 centavos each. 

Why so cheap? That's like 10 to 20 times less than the price of Tondan or Lakitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dafey
5 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Why so cheap? That's like 10 to 20 times less than the price of Tondan or Lakitan

Probably from China....:o

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..