Sign in to follow this  
cutter12345

Water Well Drillers in Poro

cutter12345

We own property in Poro and want to build but want to be sure there is water there. Can anyone point me to a reputable driller who can run a test drill down?

I looked at the comments from 3 years ago but that did not help.

we live in California so we need to do everything via email.

thanks for your help.

to_dave007

I recommend against trying to do it by email. 

• Like 2

SkyMan

Not sure about doing it from CA. If you were here, I'd recommend chatting up your neighbors about what they did show deep they had to go if they used a well and what is the quality of their water.   Then go from there.  Do you know where on the lot you want it? If you put it near a lot line you might have a neighbor install a septic system near it. And then, do you know where you want your septic?  

There are drilling companies that will go wherever to do it for you but you will pay for that. A local (backyard) driller will work but they are slow. If you're not in a hurry that's the way I'd go, did go. Using a local you don't need to pay for a bunk house and 3 meals. 

• Like 2

bert

yes i did same in so leyte used a local took us 4 days to dig a hole to get past the large rocks then the driller came back with a small army of men after a42 feet found 18 feet of water the deep well up and running after a day  sill in operation now  there is only one in my area 

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bert said:

yes i did same in so leyte used a local took us 4 days to dig a hole to get past the large rocks then the driller came back with a small army of men after a42 feet found 18 feet of water the deep well up and running after a day  sill in operation now  there is only one in my area 

You dug? As in by hand? Not sure if there is definition of 'deep' well but 42ft isn't bad. That's only 3 lengths of casing pipe.  I live on a hill so 190ft and 6 months pounding that percussion bit into the ground through plenty of lime stone rock.

Edited by SkyMan

Paddy
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

I recommend against trying to do it by email. 

I couldn’t agree more. There are just too many ways for you to be “disappointed” with the results when you finally arrive on site - even with a local, reputable driller. 

@cutter12345 you’re probably used to 40psi at the faucet - clear, filtered and treated water. I don’t know about Poro explicitly, but here on Masbate, the local population are quite content with a lot less than that. The first problem you are likely to encounter is a huge difference of expectations between you and the driller. Getting our drillers here to understand that a 40 foot well with a couple of feet of water in it just isn’t going to work when you put in an electric pump was difficult. No one (my partner included) could understand why I was pushing for at least 60 feet (especially when it meant drilling through rocks - which doubled the price from PHP1000 per foot to PHP2000 per foot!  We did get to 58 feet before the driller complained about the damage to his drill bit 🙄 and other mechanical problems. )

The second problem is whether the driller understands the differences between not only rainy and dry seasons but also between normal and “dry” years. The foot valve on our first well had to be put down an extra 5 feet after a particularly dry year. Fortunately there was enough room to do it - otherwise no tubig until the water table recovered!

I’ve been involved with drilling and digging several wells in our area. The local driller - not particularly reputable, but cheaper than others - has delivered dry, or not wet enough, wells on several occasions. His reason is that he doesn’t have a drill bit that can deal with the rocks. It’s true but there are some other reasons as well!

It’s way better to be on site and talking to your neighbors.

Some 35 years ago I had a well drilled in Canada. 2 guys with a truck mounted rig went 40 feet into Canadian Shield in 2 hours. Off the shelf casing, pump and fittings are still going on that property. The well cost CAD$2000.

Fast forward to 21st century Philippines. Here 3 or 4 guys with a manual rig will take 2 weeks to do the same (but without rocks!). The cost for the well will be about PHP20,000 plus pump and other materials.  Expect to pull everything out of the well every couple of years to keep it going). 

About 6 weeks ago we had to pull everything out of the first well. That’s when I discovered the original installation (for which I was not here) had used a short length of GI pipe to connect the brass foot valve to the blue plastic “up” pipe (we just can’t get suitable continuous hose here). The GI pipe had rotted and had a hole the size of a dime in it.....

• Like 2

bert
14 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

You dug? As in by hand? Not sure if there is definition of 'deep' well but 42ft isn't bad. That's only 3 lengths of casing pipe.  I live on a hill so 190ft and 6 months pounding that percussion bit into the ground through plenty of lime stone rock.

yes dug by hand  2 men  and they used my chain block to remove the rocks and debris where i live is land that used to a river bed many many many years ago there was dispute to where he wanted to put the  the rig i won in the end he tried several places to no avail and went ahead on my advise and was surprised at the result the cost was fair after that

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

I was pushing for at least 60 feet (especially when it meant drilling through rocks - which doubled the price from PHP1000 per foot to PHP2000 per foot!  We did get to 58 feet before the driller complained about the damage to his drill bit 🙄 and other mechanical problems. )

I guess I should be happy with p400/ft then.  Of course, people have told me I paid too much.  It never fails here if you tell someone how much you paid for something, they will tell you they could have gotten it for you or done it cheaper.  I swear, if I told them it was free they would tell me they would have paid me to do it.  Hahahahaha

I'm going to post more on my pump next month when I have more data.

• Haha 1

to_dave007
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

That well I had dug in mountain area of Tuburan went down 140 feet..  2 solid months of pounding..  and not a drop of water to show for it.  IMHO the problem we had was simple..  I let my wife's brothers decide where to drill instead of following my intuition..  and getting several of the OLDEST and MOST SEASONED guys with mountain well experience together to decide where to put the X..  for drilling.  Would have been worth several thousand peso EACH to have them come for a day or two and pick the spot.

One concern I would have about Poro..  is that it's relatively small..  I assume it's limestone like Cebu, but no idea what kind of reservoir is underneath the surface.. Also don't know how far the OP property is from the ocean..  and if you drill too close to baech..  well..  could be you end up pumping salty water..

For SURE I would want to talk to multiple other guys who have deep wells..  to see what the experience is..  and seek out the really experienced guys to decide placement of the well..

• Like 3

to_dave007

I also wonder....

1.  Is there municipal water where you are?
  2.  Is there bottled water availability for drinking?
  3.  Are you (OP) expecting to be able to DRINK the water from your well?
  4.  What about rainwater?

cutter12345

Hey all, that you for all the advice. I think based on what I have heard from all of you, I will indeed wait until we get there this fall to begin the process.

Better to be safe the first time around.

We will be in town for the Oct fiesta. I will be shooting a Documentary on the Children of Poro so thought we could tie in the well drill at the same time.

thanks for all the info.

Gary

Paddy
15 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I guess I should be happy with p400/ft then

I should have expanded on that price. PHP1000/2000 per foot is for well deepening and appears to be pretty standard around Masbate. A new well, at 20k for 40 feet, gives 500 per foot. You should still be happy with 400😀

We were deepening well #2 in order for it to become the primary source for our place. 

• Like 1