Cgu

Philippines, getting safer?

JamesMusslewhite
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

Is that Fantasy Island? :lol:

A utopian reality... Where I am king of the island, and yes my wife gives me permission to say so..... and as long as the island's owner allows me to live here.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Haha 1

RedRanger

I visit Philippines about twice a year for a month at a time.

It seems the same to me in general.

Look at places like Davao City, they still have the same number of bombings or more  since Duterte became President, and the 2 foreigners that were kidnapped and one or both beheaded from Samal Island suggest to me it is the same.

It appears as if terrorist activity may have gotten worse in the last couple of years.

to_dave007

My good friend..  age 82..  lives on a remote 10 hectare property on the beach.  Been there 22 years.  Surrounded on all sides by the poor..  mostly fishermen.  He has two workers that are generally around, but often not for one reason or another..  market day..  or barangay meeting.. or school or whatever.  Beach side is 500 meters.. unfenced.  The back side is simple easy to penetrate barbed wire.  When he walks or rides..  often leaves his door unlocked, and people see him leave.

Not robbed once in 22 years.  not once.

So is it safer today?  than what?

I know this is just one story.. from one place..  but it's just as important as each other story..  from other places.

• Like 3

seanm

That story about the Coffee shop owner/worker is crazy. 

I walked by that coffee shop everyday for like 2 months when they were setting up the shop. It has only been open for like 8 months. It is right by the many Hospitals and by Fuente Circle/Mango area. Many Nursing/Doctor students and many Condos in the area. 

If I were to guess, I would guess they did not have a "security guard," (which every other business in the area has), so the thief/criminal thought it was a good idea, but I am just guessing. 

I always thought it was crazy that so many places in Cebu had security guards, but reading about this situation it is starting to make more sense. 

smokey

I like all the other foreigners who moved and built houses when many said dont have no fear because of my super powers of a large brain and unbelievable good looks

PlanB

Problem is most examples are anecdotal and statistics can be manipulated. I look at the overall justice system. I don’t think it is even questioned the justice system is screwed. Courts, Law Enforcement, etc...

My vote is overall unsafe. 10% less safe or 10% more safe doesn’t help when the entire system is a basket case.

• Like 1