jojogumabew

help constructing cheap elevated open air pavilion?

jojogumabew

Signed lease. Just became real. Hope i don't lose tons of money...

Davaoeno
34 minutes ago, jojogumabew said:

Signed lease. Just became real. Hope i don't lose tons of money...

Congratulations .  You shouldnt lose tons of money - if your venture doesnt work out just sub lease to someone else ! [ you do have a sublease clause?]

I assume you investigated access to the beach and have guaranteed that that  your access can never be infringed upon ?  [ you said it was 50 m from the beach]

You can google access problems in the Philippines and see videos of fabulous expensive resorts that are closed because they lost their access 

• Like 3

fred42
On 4/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, Headshot said:

I didn't say you WILL lose everything ... only that you should expect to. That way, you will be pleasantly surprised if anything survives a major storm.

Our house roof is made of Bamboo and nipa..Built 11 years ago. The whole roof needed to be covered with good quality nylon fishing net stretched over it to stop the wind blowing the nipa tile upwards.
The problem we have had with nipa is that inside gets dusty pretty much on a daily basis and that`s the main reason why we are in the process of changing it to metal roofing..Sad to see it going though.

• Like 2

fred42

The area has growing local tourism and it's near the well to do beach communities in the area though I anticipate it may lose money in the first couple of years or barely breakeven. However, the lease rate is low and the place has a nice feel with mature trees and is 50m from the beach and 50m from the highway and along the main road going to the many small resorts in the area.

My advice to you is to look seriously into small Hotel room type self contained native cottages..Start with 2 or 3 with a business permit and then build a restaurant and not before!

jojogumabew

Davaoneo - Access is ok. It's right beside the barangay road which leads straight to the beach. Yes I can sublease - that's a good suggestion so I don't over panic.

Fred - There are 3 bahay kubos there. I don't really want to capex so much since we don't own the property even though my lease is relatively long term. I would buy the land but he's asking probably 2-3x what is realistic.

Anyway, resto first. Lets see.

jojogumabew

13 dump trucks of fill + garden soil so far at P4k per load

have 80% of menu done so can work on layout - basically asian w good fresh, mostly local ingredients. also can serve in 5 mins. no softdrinks. 3 kinds of cocktails. will serve homemade ice tea.

theres a 12m x 4m pond that dries up in summer i'll probably line and prettify

figuring out

1) treatment for kitchen water - want to recycle to garden - will probably DIY using IBCs. if i buy a premade system it's P700k

2) overall layout and construction. going to elevate 0.9m on compacted fill. wood columns on concrete pedestals, single slope flat roof w some native thing underneath, am thinking of using ibeams for the roof framework. will cost more but less labor and faster. open air structure but will need to have some sort of rain shielding so partly useable during rainy season

3) landscaping and plants

4) kitchen equipment - i want good ice maker as most beach places don't have enuff ice in my opinion, am thinking of building adjustable grill

5) water - am going to filter and buy a UV system from amazon or local

6) my target is soft opening October 1

7) right now am planning use our home cook as chef and supervisor

8) need to figure out POS. trying to set up meeting w GM of my friend who has 3 restos. he'll let me pick her brain.

9) applying to sec for company 

so my fantasy is November official opening, some screwups, running well by dec/jan, by march runs on its own w/o me. hopefully not losing tons of money

oztony
7 minutes ago, jojogumabew said:

by march runs on its own w/o me. hopefully not losing tons of money

:scratch_head:image.png.ec6f27c39ca81db075bd332e94d70f89.png    

Have you ever had a business in the PI before ? Things sorta don't go so well here , as a rule , unless you are present ... and then you at least have a slim chance with it .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

jojogumabew

Have you ever had a business in the PI before ?

Hehe. In point of fact yes. Several died. Some live. But I agree it's a crazy goal. 

• Like 2

oztony
7 minutes ago, jojogumabew said:

Hehe. In point of fact yes. Several died. Some live. But I agree it's a crazy goal. 

Quite a few of us have been down that road... but as long as you know what to expect ... hope it all goes well for you.

• Like 4

to_dave007

Didn't see anything written about it..  But since this is a restaurant you are building, and within a year of Duterte's Boracay, I would have figured out how to get a sanitary permit before spending too much money.  You are the new guy on the block, and if you piss anyone off, it's easy for others to block your permits.  In fact..  do you even know the complete list of permits that you will need?

• Like 3

jojogumabew

You are right, goes on the list. Actually had permits discussion w possible contractor whose mom operates a hotel resto in the area. It's not as complicated as in other areas I gather. Also I believe I'll be the first w WWT according to him - this is kinda worrisome for the area but am hoping they will get their act together. 

So far am exercising good beer management w locals.

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, jojogumabew said:

You are right, goes on the list. Actually had permits discussion w possible contractor whose mom operates a hotel resto in the area. It's not as complicated as in other areas I gather. Also I believe I'll be the first w WWT according to him - this is kinda worrisome for the area but am hoping they will get their act together. 

So far am exercising good beer management w locals.

In my municipality you would be REQUIRED to have a CR for a restaurant.. so your waste treatment would NOT be just kitchen waste.  And remember also that your Waste WATER may have lots of fats as well depending on your menu.  And you may be required to SIZE the system based on how many seats you will have.

As for "beer management"..  it's been my experience that the smiles you see when giving people free beer are not the same as the smiles you see when they say "F-You"..  Like all the people here that wore T-Shirts for one mayoral candidate and accepted her bribe money..  then voted for the other.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 3

Davaoeno
17 minutes ago, jojogumabew said:

whose mom operates a hotel resto in the area.

Just remember that the requirements for a connected long term pinoy resident can be very different than those for a newly arrived not so experienced foreigner . 

• Like 2

jojogumabew

Uh what's a cr permit? 

this is the first time I am doing this biz. half the time I am panicking about what I got myself into. 

On grease separation am planning not to deep fry, also will serve on banana leaf, etc. Wondering if I still need grease separator or if I can just use the ibc and just clean it out when full

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, jojogumabew said:

Uh what's a cr permit? 

In my municipality you would need a CR (comfort room..  toilet.. including washbasin outside CR to wash hands) for a restaurant..  and you can't get Sanitary Permit without it.  Er.. unless you are the mayors brother.

Also..  no Sanitary permit = No business permit = they come round to close you down...  and we had numerous businesses here forcefully closed for "no business permit". Realistically.. even though many areas do NOT do this..  it's what all municipalities are SUPPOSED to be doing..  so it's reasonable that they are strict about it here.  Where you are..  who knows...  no me.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1