SkyMan

My Diesel Ford Ranger Single Cab

SkyMan
15 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I like it BUT
Unfortunately some country's including Australia and the state of Ohio (your country) they are not legal. AS one is not allowed to operate a vehicle including starting whilst not sitting in the vehicle. There is some flexibility in regard to servicing and private land, but used in a a public place, not legal.

I don't want to sound like an old fart but these ADD ONS do worry me particularly when fitted "sometimes" by DIY ers,,,, I've been "run down" twice by automatic cars that have started in drive unexpectedly having had faulty neutral inhibitor safety switches which resulted in a arm injury.

Something to be conscious of for sure but I don't plan on driving it Ohio or Oz any time soon.  I'll disable it if I do though.  :thumbs_up:

More seriously though, I think with the gear shift position check and checking the Ebrake is set is good enough safety as long as it's done well.  I don't know how long the remote start cranks the starter but I don't think it's long enough to move the vehicle far with the EBrake on.  You can't insure everything.  It's not uncommon for someone to get out of a vehicle left in neutral without setting the brake.  People have gotten out of ATs with it still running in D or R and many with ATs don't set the brake.  Dogs/kids can put cars in gear or release the Ebrake.  Stuff happens.

• Like 1

cookie47

Yeh, i didn't want to seem too harsh in criticism of the device.They do have there place.

As Souped said, it would be nice to be able to start your car whilst having breakfast and then drive off with heater operating.
A bit off topic....

Did you know that in the 60,s budget British cars particularly Ford/and Vauxhall did not come with a heater.
Seem crazy these days.....

It was a option requested at the time of sale, and ME who had to fit it in the workshop.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Did you know that in the 60,s budget British cars particularly Ford/and Vauxhall did not come with a heater.
Seem crazy these days.....

It was a option requested at the time of sale, and ME who had to fit it in the workshop.

Like I said, my Ranger has differences from the Aussie version besides just LHD.  I have no heater.  (Which I'm not crazy about because if your engine is overheating you can help by turning on the heat but that's a minor concern now.)  But on the occasions where my wife talks me into turning on the AC, I put it to the lowest setting and it's still a little much for me.

• Like 2

cookie47
Like I said, my Ranger has differences from the Aussie version besides just LHD.  I have no heater.  (Which I'm not crazy about because if your engine is overheating you can help by turning on the heat but that's a minor concern now.)  But on the occasions where my wife talks me into turning on the AC, I put it to the lowest setting and it's still a little much for me.
Ahh, you've answered the question.

One of the items needing to operate in a vehicle in Australia is the windscreen demisting system.

At the time a vehicle is presented for a Roadworthy inspection In the State of Victoria, (which I'm licenced to do),, hot air MUST be available at the windscreen vents (to obviously demist the screen)... to pass the inspection. It matters NOT that the heat to footwells is not functioning.

So your vehicle would not comply with regulations in Australia.(in its current configuration)...

Which gets back to different features for different markets.

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Which gets back to different features for different markets.

Yeah though I can defog the windshield with the vent director.  AC will also remove window fog because AC also dries the air.

There is a small silver box I found with a couple large (as in, many wires) cable connectors in the middle between the seats.  I was looking for rear speaker wires.  I was told they call it the black box data recorder and that it records speed etc. in the event of an accident.  Kind of useless here I was wondering if I could remove it?  I did find the connector for a rear window defogger if I decided I needed that.  Hahahahaha

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

cookie47
Yeah though I can defog the windshield with the vent director.  AC will also remove window fog because AC also dries the air.
There is a small silver box I found with a couple large (as in, many wires) cable connectors in the middle between the seats.  I was looking for rear speaker wires.  I was told they call it the black box data recorder and that it records speed etc. in the event of an accident.  Kind of useless here I was wondering if I could remove it?  I did find the connector for a rear window defogger if I decided I needed that.  Hahahahaha
Yes true the aircon can do a fairly good job of demisting, but unfortunately it was rejected as a option (that can be used) in Australia as all cars don't have air-conditioning. But all that I've seen do have heaters and demisting systems.

THE BOX.

Firstly does you vehicle have stability control.

I say this as cars with stability control have the "Yaw" sensor generally fitted in close proximity to the centre line of the vehicle under the center consol. This position allows for the sensing when the vehicle gets a bit "out of shape" so to speak" It also could be a control box for electronic windows???.
Otherwise don't know...

Soupeod
24 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

At the time a vehicle is presented for a Roadworthy inspection In the State of Victoria, (which I'm licenced to do),, hot air MUST be available at the windscreen vents (to obviously demist the screen)... to pass the inspection. It matters NOT that the heat to footwells is not functioning.

Interesting, in the NW US, The heater alone would not always demist or clear the windshield, if you turn on the aircon in defrost mode... poof the windshield is clear.

the aforementioned RAM truck came that way in default mode or I wouldn’t had learned that lesson.

And yes I would prefer a heater in this Toyota as well, if I drive up into the mountains it is a bit cooler... or what if you live in Baguio? 😊

• Like 2

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Firstly does you vehicle have stability control.

Gravity?  Other than that.......

8 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

It also could be a control box for electronic windows???.

Working on putting in electric windows but now it's crank, crank, crank.

• Like 1

Soupeod

@SkyMan is your truck a crew cab? 

SkyMan
9 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

@SkyMan is your truck a crew cab? 

Tried to get the crew cab but it was 4 door short bed only, or order a single cab regular bed or cab/chassis only.  The available options were white or silver. Nothing else.  Went with the Aluminum Metallic (silver).  Originally they told me white only and if that were the case I'd have had it painted by now.

• Like 1

cookie47
Working on putting in electric windows but now it's crank, crank, crank.
Re, electric windows,

Some years ago there used to be a after market kit that used the original mechanism, it attached to the winder.(after removing the handle) A box that encompasses the motor AND the up/down switch..probably 100mm x 50mm.

It was a little intrusive as it was inside the cabin and ugly,,, BUT easy to fit with only requiring securing and a 12 volt supply and that's it...

Also its common for manufacturers use a standard wiring loom containing all the plugs for all models and only use the ones that are needed for that particular car..

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Also its common for manufacturers use a standard wiring loom containing all the plugs for all models and only use the ones that are needed for that particular car..

Which is why I'm confused at not yet finding a connector for rear speakers though there is a rear window defogger connector and there are rear speaker wires on the stereo connector and the connector for the power mirror control is there behind the dash though I don't have power mirrors yet.  I've got a lot of the interior trim panels off now and I may have to dig into the loom running along the seats to locate the speaker wires.  But worst case, if I can't find them, it wouldn't be hard to run new wires and it might be advisable to do that anyway.

The bigger question as far as the rear speakers go is where can I put them?  I may have to mock up a cardboard box the size of what I would need to build out of plywood and then try it various places and see if it gets crushed when I put my seat back.

Edited by SkyMan

cookie47

Its possible that my theory is flawed regarding wiring looms, however the rear speaker wires may well exit the radio,,, but,, are not actually running to the rear of the vehicle and in fact may terminate to a multi plug "somewhere", up behind the dashboard. I would also remove one of the footwell kick panels (i assume it has) to see if something is hiding in there..A common area used extensively for fuses and relays and the like. Otherwise your idea to do wiring yourself is a good option..

SkyMan
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Its possible that my theory is flawed regarding wiring looms, however the rear speaker wires may well exit the radio,,, but,, are not actually running to the rear of the vehicle and in fact may terminate to a multi plug "somewhere", up behind the dashboard. I would also remove one of the footwell kick panels (i assume it has) to see if something is hiding in there..A common area used extensively for fuses and relays and the like. Otherwise your idea to do wiring yourself is a good option..

Good thoughts there.  I have already removed one of the kick panels but the truck is in the shop now.  I was hoping to find a connector in back but you're right, it may be better to try trace the wires from the back of the stereo.

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

While this thread was ongoing.. I asked my brother what vehicle he has in Canada..  he finally answered.. "1993 Dodge Ram with 4 wheel drive and 5.9 Cummins diesel".

It's his baby..  I swear if he has to choose between his g/f or the Dodge..  we'd be having a going away party for the girl.  

It's the only photo of it I could find at his FB page..  As you can see it's in immaculate condition. He's a beekeeper too in retirement. 

dodge.thumb.jpg.0bb749a6b36a476b93e615ae5662f492.jpg

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2