SkyMan

My Diesel Ford Ranger Single Cab

SkyMan
8 minutes ago, Semper paratus said:

What is the going rate of a diesel engine over a gas engine in a car or pick-up?

Couldn't tell you, I bought the whole truck not just the engine.  It was p769K.

7 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

From October 2018 All light vehicles with diesel engines entering Australia need to a comply with the Euro 5 standards which include the fitting of particulate filters.

Picked it up in November of 2017.  And it's never been to Oz so they could have left whatever off.  One Aussie swore my truck wouldn't start in gear because of interlocks but it does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woolf
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

My Ranger was made in Thailand and most of those trucks go to Oz so it may be to Oz standards but then, then are differences so any pollution stuff may have been left off.

I like the p10/per liter fuel discount.

not only that, they generally also run longer pr liter

if engine start on first crank even with glow lamp on, I see no problem

I guess if it was a problem, they would have disabled power to the starter, when glow lamp on

there is a huge difference starting a diesel at 25 c + than at -10 c 

BTW  PSA makes some great small diesel engines

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Woolf said:

not only that, they generally also run longer pr liter

Yeah, it does suck to stop in for another 80 liters but I don't have to do that very often so it's ok.

Edited by SkyMan

cookie47

Litre for litre a diesel engine is always going to be more efficient fuel consumption wise(although the gap is is getting smaller. Both are heat engines. Low down torque of the diesel is as stated a big plus for towing. Performance wise has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years with diesels. Just try a twin turbo BMW and tell me if you can tell its a diesel. Europe has gone the full circle with diesel now saying that it is not as cuddly as they first thought, mainly due to issues with reducing NOX. Diesels have amazing longevity with a million kilometres not uncommon for European taxis, mainly 200 series Mercedes. However when it does come time to repair a diesel cost is always higher than a gas engine, this "somewhat" mainly due to injection equipment costs. I cant agree that a diesel would/should fail on short trips. A properly operating thermostat should bring a diesel to operating temperature quickly, and if it doesn't it should do. A common misconception i often hear is "O my engine runs cool isn't that good" NO... An engine both petrol or diesel should be run at a minimum of 85 degrees c. And a proper functioning cooling system WILL cope with this. To extract every bit of efficiency out of your fuel heat is required. Short stop start trips should be of no concern, look at the old Black cabs of London. Yes going to the shops is not helpfull on any engine, but a run down the freeway on the weekend will burn off all the build up of moisture and unburnt fuel suspended in the oil.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

cookie47
Picked it up in November of 2017.  And it's never been to Oz so they could have left whatever off.  One Aussie swore my truck wouldn't start in gear because of interlocks but it does.
Yes that's interesting, There seems to be some market specific differences.

The last series of Toyota Landcruiser V8 had a clutch/starter inter lock.I never found out if it was an Australian ADR, or just something Toyota thought was a good idea.

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

The last series of Toyota Landcruiser V8 had a clutch/starter inter lock.I never found out if it was an Australian ADR, or just something Toyota thought was a good idea.

It's probably easier to put a switch on the clutch than sense the gear position but this guy came up with a pretty good method for that.

• Like 2

cookie47
My old Ford truck had glow plugs and they would go out on that international engine.  The last truck I had was a RAM w/cummins engine with some kind of heater mechanism and never had a problem.  Maybe your owners manual will tell you more?
Other than that, all the diesel engines I have used HMMWV, Ford, RAM and now a Toyota all call to periodically remove the excess water from a valve on the engine. 
Out of interest i looked up the RAM engine. It has a heater built into the plenum chamber (upper area of the inlet manifold). This heater heats All of the air as it enters prior to the manifold runners (as its a V8)..

The 300 6 cylinder diesel Bedford truck engine had the same principle, but not as hight tech,,, haha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cookie47
It's probably easier to put a switch on the clutch than sense the gear position but this guy came up with a pretty good method for that.

I like it BUT
Unfortunately some country's including Australia and the state of Ohio (your country) they are not legal. AS one is not allowed to operate a vehicle including starting whilst not sitting in the vehicle. There is some flexibility in regard to servicing and private land, but used in a a public place, not legal.

I don't want to sound like an old fart but these ADD ONS do worry me particularly when fitted "sometimes" by DIY ers,,,, I've been "run down" twice by automatic cars that have started in drive unexpectedly having had faulty neutral inhibitor safety switches which resulted in a arm injury.

shadow
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Litre for litre a diesel engine is always going to be more efficient fuel consumption wise(although the gap is is getting smaller. Both are heat engines. Low down torque of the diesel is as stated a big plus for towing. Performance wise has come on in leaps and bounds in recent years with diesels. Just try a twin turbo BMW and tell me if you can tell its a diesel. Europe has gone the full circle with diesel now saying that it is not as cuddly as they first thought, mainly due to issues with reducing NOX. Diesels have amazing longevity with a million kilometres not uncommon for European taxis, mainly 200 series Mercedes. However when it does come time to repair a diesel cost is always higher than a gas engine, this "somewhat" mainly due to injection equipment costs. I cant agree that a diesel would/should fail on short trips. A properly operating thermostat should bring a diesel to operating temperature quickly, and if it doesn't it should do. A common misconception i often hear is "O my engine runs cool isn't that good" NO... An engine both petrol or diesel should be run at a minimum of 85 degrees c. And a proper functioning cooling system WILL cope with this. To extract every bit of efficiency out of your fuel heat is required. Short stop start trips should be of no concern, look at the old Black cabs of London. Yes going to the shops is not helpfull on any engine, but a run down the freeway on the weekend will burn off all the build up of moisture and unburnt fuel suspended in the oil.

Best post yet!

• Like 2

Soupeod
4 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I like it BUT
Unfortunately some country's including Australia and the state of Ohio (your country) they are not legal. AS one is not allowed to operate a vehicle including starting whilst not sitting in the vehicle. There is some flexibility in regard to servicing and private land, but used in a a public place, not legal.

I don't want to sound like an old fart but these ADD ONS do worry me particularly when fitted "sometimes" by DIY ers,,,, I've been "run down" twice by automatic cars that have started in drive unexpectedly having had faulty neutral inhibitor safety switches which resulted in a arm injury.

My last 2012 RAM 3500 Laramie with a 6.7 liter turbo diesel that had remote warmup and start, used to start it 10 min before I left in sub zero temps. While drinking coffee in the house. 😊

Great truck!

Oh yea the heated seats auto warmed up too... however I did have the eng heater plugged in.

• Like 1

Headshot
7 hours ago, Soupeod said:

My last 2012 RAM 3500 Laramie with a 6.7 liter turbo diesel that had remote warmup and start, used to start it 10 min before I left in sub zero temps. While drinking coffee in the house. 😊

Great truck!

Oh yea the heated seats auto warmed up too... however I did have the eng heater plugged in.

Memories like that are one reason why many of us live in the Philippines. It's too bad driveways and sidewalks didn't clear themselves of snow as well.

• Like 3

cookie47
My last 2012 RAM 3500 Laramie with a 6.7 liter turbo diesel that had remote warmup and start, used to start it 10 min before I left in sub zero temps. While drinking coffee in the house.
Great truck!
Yep,
You US guys have got some lovely vehicles and the engines to go with them. They are now becoming more available in Australia (although I'm not there now.) The only problem is i need a step ladder to get in.. Ha..

One issue is that the GVM (on some) can exceed the standard "car" licence limit of 4500 kg precluding many drivers unable to own..

• Like 1

Woolf
26 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

One issue is that the GVM (on some) can exceed the standard "car" licence limit of 4500 kg precluding many drivers unable to own..

3500 kg in EU

• Like 1

cookie47
3500 kg in EU
Ah, good to know Woolf, thanks..
I did hear that some importers were "downgrading" their GVM (Called a paperwork fix) to get over the problem.

trthebees
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Ah, good to know Woolf, thanks..
I did hear that some importers were "downgrading" their GVM (Called a paperwork fix) to get over the problem.

Yes, 3500kg. But as you mentioned the UK in an earlier post, maybe you passed a test there before 1997, in which case you might keep a higher mass rating, 4500kg I think. And  7500kg for trucks. Though the truck bit needs a medical at 70. Easily all checked on the gov.uk site.

For no good reason, or sort of just-in-case, I used to keep my full class 1 HGV licence going, just a medical every something years. But then in 2013 they introduced a requirement to attend a classroom course of a week or so for every driver, costing a bit, so I let it drop then. Maybe it was an EU requirement.

Anyway, that's getting off topic.

• Like 1