SkyMan

Stopped at a local paint shop and specifically asked for a liter of Island Red Oxide Metal Primer.  The girl grabbed a can and put it on the counter with the back of the can towards me and said p160.  I got my wallet out while she wrote the receipt and I decided to verify and turned the can around.  Red Lead.  I didn't even know they made lead paint any more.  Not sure what the use would be but since I'm using it for a dog kennel I rejected it and got the Red Oxide which saved p40 anyway.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

cookie47

When having a front fence built in our place (concrete posts and two inch square steel fancy infill), the steel was just plain and unpainted and surface rusted having sat in the weather... (I would have preferred galvanised and paid more but "apparently" that's not an option).

When it came time for the painters to get started they asked to buy the necessary paint.
Red lead and colour (Black).
I said to Mrs, ask if its actually RED LEAD....
Yes sir we use it all the time. I didn't actually check the tin.

Its rusting/flaking in the corners at the welds!!!! already (9months)....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

I know they call it red lead..  but I thought there was no actual lead in it..

So I searched..  and here's what I found http://www.ecowastecoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/ipen-philippines-lead-report-final.pdf

Makes VERY interesting reading for anyone wishing to AVOID lead..  as it seems there's s lead still used in many paints here.

Here's a summary... 

3.1 SUMMARY OF RESULTS This study shows that:

• 24 out of 104 analyzed solvent-based paints (23 percent of paints) were lead paints, i.e., they contained lead concentrations above 90 parts per million (ppm), dry weight. In addition, 12 paints (12 percent of paints) contained dangerously high lead concentrations above 10,000 ppm.

• 16 out of 54 analyzed brands (30 percent of paint brands) sold at least one lead paint, i.e., a paint with lead concentration above 90 ppm. Also, nine out of 54 analyzed brands (17 percent of paint brands) sold at least one lead paint with dangerously high lead concentrations above 10,000 ppm.  

• 20 out of 88 bright-colored paints (23 percent of bright-colored paints) were lead paints, i.e., they contained lead concentrations above 90 parts per million (ppm), dry weight. Yellow paints were the most hazardous with eight out of 40 paints (20 percent of yellow paints) containing lead concentrations greater than 10,000 ppm, and four out of 28 orange paints (14 percent of orange paints) also contained dangerously high lead concentrations above 10,000 ppm.

• The highest lead concentration detected was 100,000 ppm in a yellow TriSafe Quick Drying Enamel Paint sold for home use.

• Only 29 out of 104 paints (28 percent of paints) provided information about lead on their labels and most paints carried little information about ingredients. A yellow Nippon Paint Platone contained 630 ppm lead despite having a self-certified “lead free” mark on its label. Most paints were merely labeled as “solvents, pigments and resin,” with no further details on the type of solvents and pigments (organic or inorganic) provided. Eightynine of the paint cans (86 percent of paints) indicated the flammability of the products, while only one paint can provided precautionary warnings on the effects of lead dust to children and pregnant women.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Humboldt

The Red Lead used on Navy ships sure had lead in it , As a Ordinary Seaman working MSC , my job was chipping and painting it was all Toxic .

Here in the PI we use it on the tin roofs holding up well ...

Davaoeno
2 minutes ago, Humboldt said:

The Red Lead used on Navy ships sure had lead in it , As a Ordinary Seaman working MSC , my job was chipping and painting it was all Toxic .

Here in the PI we use it on the tin roofs holding up well ...

are you sure that your roofs are made of tin and not GI [ galvanized iron] ?

• Confused 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

Did they just paint over the rust?  The mesh we're using had some rusty areas so I had them put rust converter on it and then wiped the next day before the Red Oxide.

• Like 3

cookie47
Did they just paint over the rust?  The mesh we're using had some rusty areas so I had them put rust converter on it and then wiped the next day before the Red Oxide.
Sort of,,
Just a bit of rubbing with sandpaper to get the loose particles off and that's it....... No rust convertor...
I just stood back and Bit my lip.

There were many other issues but i would get off topic.....

Visually it looks good from a distance.
But so do I Haha..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

towboat72
21 hours ago, cookie47 said:

When having a front fence built in our place (concrete posts and two inch square steel fancy infill), the steel was just plain and unpainted and surface rusted having sat in the weather... (I would have preferred galvanised and paid more but "apparently" that's not an option).

When it came time for the painters to get started they asked to buy the necessary paint.
Red lead and colour (Black).
I said to Mrs, ask if its actually RED LEAD....
Yes sir we use it all the time. I didn't actually check the tin.

Because they might have put paint on it but did not prep it first.Need to get rust off then prime then paint.

• Like 1

cookie47
Because they might have put paint on it but did not prep it first.Need to get rust off then prime then paint.
Yes absolutely correct.

In reality i wanted galvanised square tube, BUT that's not the way "they do it" so they told the Mrs. Now is it due to cost OR availability.
Being new to Consolacion and having no personal transport and no knowledge of steel merchants or supplier's i just had to go with what what was offered.

I could go on about the welder. Haha

No face mask just sunglasses and slippers, (standard stuff). But that's a another story......

• Like 3

trthebees
12 hours ago, cookie47 said:

I could go on about the welder. Haha

No face mask just sunglasses and slippers, (standard stuff). But that's a another story.

yeah strange that, I offer them a mask but they don't like using it. Just squint or at best some  sunglasses I find. I've had arc eye and it's a very irritating night, like sand being rubbed in. I've wondered if Filipino eyes are more tolerant of the arc, some hereditary thing after generations of exposure to ultra-violet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Headshot
9 hours ago, trthebees said:

yeah strange that, I offer them a mask but they don't like using it. Just squint or at best some  sunglasses I find. I've had arc eye and it's a very irritating night, like sand being rubbed in. I've wondered if Filipino eyes are more tolerant of the arc, some hereditary thing after generations of exposure to ultra-violet.

Where do you think they get the blind massage therapists? Ex-welders...  :cool:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1