liquido

Buying The Bigger Item Not Always Cheaper

liquido
Posted (edited)

I have a friend that is frugal but not cheap..I respect his ways..One time he asked me why I was buying the big bottle of shampoo when you could buy the sachets cheaper per ml...I said no way.I always thought it was a given you always get a better deal when you buy the big container..WRONG..Not Here..In many cases its cheaper to buy the smaller container..Now mind you I not lose any sleep over it but once again I assumed wrong..Even at [email protected] I found out some of there items are more pricey than the smaller container I could buy at the local grocery here..They seem to get away with it here...... 

My thought for this reasoning is if you can afford to buy the bigger container then you can pay more...

Edited by liquido
  • Like 3

SkyMan

Economy of scale doesn't apply here.  Even if the shampoo is cheaper by the bottle I found we were better buying the packets because if she has a bottle she uses it much faster.  The nice thing though is that if you only need a few of something you aren't as tempted to buy the big packet to save because you won't.

• Like 2

liquido
3 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Economy of scale doesn't apply here.  Even if the shampoo is cheaper by the bottle I found we were better buying the packets because if she has a bottle she uses it much faster.  The nice thing though is that if you only need a few of something you aren't as tempted to buy the big packet to save because you won't.

I guess that relates to eating also....hehe

• Like 2

Semper paratus
5 hours ago, liquido said:

I guess that relates to eating also....hehe

If you don't have them buy a set of smaller dinner plates and bowls. Just seeing the plates or bowls full  even though it is actually less than the bigger ones will cut down on how much you eat. Works for us anyhow.

• Like 2

BossHog
26 minutes ago, liquido said:

.In many cases its cheaper to buy the smaller container.

True. Counter-intuitive, but true.

8 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Even if the shampoo is cheaper by the bottle I found we were better buying the packets because if she has a bottle she uses it much faster.

Also true. And a good point.

The only real problem with buying stuff in sachets like Nescafe, SunSilk shampoo, and Happy Peanuts is that it generates a hell of a lot of garbage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

liquido
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BossHog said:

The only real problem with buying stuff in sachets like Nescafe, SunSilk shampoo, and Happy Peanuts is that it generates a hell of a lot of garbage.

The first time I arrived in the RP I could not understand why they were selling sachets here when we would always receive them as a free sample back in our countries..haha...I wonder what the future wives do when they go to the stores in the USA looking all over to buy sachets..

Edited by liquido
  • Like 1

lamoe

Been shopping with me enough that she'll ask  'which is better to buy?'

Quick calculation - sometimes big sometimes  small

'How you do that?'

Standard answer to those who ask is 'I was born before calculators'

I also keep a running total in head as we shop - several times have discovered gross error (several hundred P) between what it should have been as what rang up.

Wrong item on shelf - like that never happens :shocked:

• Like 1

TimL

Hmmmm. Very interesting. I never even bothered to check as I am mentally programmed from the US that bigger is the better deal. I will have to start actually paying more attention and start price checking things.thank you all for the heads up.

Davaoeno
30 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Isn't that what the rivers and canals and beach are for??

• Haha 1

Headshot
4 hours ago, TimL said:

Hmmmm. Very interesting. I never even bothered to check as I am mentally programmed from the US that bigger is the better deal. I will have to start actually paying more attention and start price checking things.thank you all for the heads up.

The funny thing is that it doesn't just apply to sachets. Sometimes the smaller bottle of a name-brand product is cheaper per unit of measurement than a larger bottle of the same product. I have no idea how they come up with their pricing schemes here.

I finally decided that it is better for my mental health to just buy the things I want in the quantities that I want, and not worry about the pricing structure. Maybe if I was limited to a 10,000p per month budget, I would worry more about a few pesos, but I'm not, so I don't.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Dafey

Even rice...We like to buy a 50 kilo sack and divvie it up between close relatives but it's really hard to carry. I figured out the smaller sacks add up to the same so we just go with 10 Kilo sacks now.

• Like 3

smokey

Lets not forget often what is inside is not what is on label.  Fake fake

• Confused 1

Salty Dog

It even happens occasionally here in the US. I always compare.

At a big box store, bulk is usually cheaper, but who wants to spend over $50 for a year's supply of razor blades...

liquido
Posted (edited)

I cannot remember but is it a law in most states that grocery prices should show cost by measure unlike here?  Helping  guys like me that did not do well in math class..

Edited by liquido
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
11 hours ago, Dafey said:

Even rice...We like to buy a 50 kilo sack and divvie it up between close relatives but it's really hard to carry. I figured out the smaller sacks add up to the same so we just go with 10 Kilo sacks now.

The had a small sariX2 for a while and wanted to buy a scale to sell rice.  I told her when we go to the market buy 50 1kg bags.  It took a while but they measured them out and put them back in the 50kg sack.  Same price.

• Like 1