Jester

Construction, biting my tongue

Jester

Family house, wife's money, but driving me to distraction.

Only here out in the jungle once in a while so have little say in anything,

Had some damage to the house so blocks were replaced and new stucco added.   They got stucco in electrical outlets and painted over them.  Oh well it is the P's s.  Bought new receptacles and switches, dug old ones out of stucco and paint,  they only sell for solid wire in this area,  house is wired with all stranded!

Having small walkway put in between house and dirty kitchen.   The $#%@^   thing is a 1/2 inch thick, on a bit of a  grade so not sure the door will open when they are done, actually would bet a dollar to a doughnut it won't open.   I did not say anything went and sat on the porch and enjoyed my coffee.  Surface water has dissipated, I guess they are not going to trowel it.

Not looking for any suggestions on how to get it done right, just wanted to vent.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)

Yep - I agree

Almost 45 years as industrial designer but they don't think I know how to do something.

She / we have our own BR in family house in Bohol - She chooses colors, painting, linens, etc.

Me - hardware - TV, ceiling fan, AC (1 ton probably too large but on sale), screens on both doors / window, etc.

Her father's brother is doing all the installing / painting, etc. No power tools except  planner. Bring my 18V hammer drill for him to use. Don't leave it there.

Designed a bed -  50" x 85" x 20"  for a 48" x 75" x 6" mattress with a 10" base / 5" top 2 door slanted hollow headboard for storage and leaning against while watching the wall mounted TV.

The bed base has 3 drawers on slides - I mentioned that it's easier if both rail side supports are not fixed in place to start, leave one end of one lose for adjustment, before drawer is made and fitted

"I always mount rails fixed to start"  OK.

Took him over 6 hours to fit the drawers after  made and had still had to adjust after mattress put on then again once I laid on bed.

Very good craftsman but frame settling seemed to be a new concept to him.

Get the feeling it was his first time with slides instead of just resting on drawer bottom :scratch_head:

Edited by lamoe

Jester

Very hard to bite my tongue and just walk away,  but I am getting better at it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Jester

3 hours and they are walking on it already  :oldtimer: 

• Sad 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)

My favorite in the house is the uneven height of the stairs treads

Top stair is maybe 6" while 1 st after mid-point landing is at least 10"

Don't hit the 10'er any more - although almost fell down stairs 1 st - wasn't expecting the big drop difference

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3

Kreole
4 hours ago, Jester said:

Family house, wife's money, but driving me to distraction.

Only here out in the jungle once in a while so have little say in anything,

Had some damage to the house so blocks were replaced and new stucco added.   They got stucco in electrical outlets and painted over them.  Oh well it is the P's s.  Bought new receptacles and switches, dug old ones out of stucco and paint,  they only sell for solid wire in this area,  house is wired with all stranded!

Having small walkway put in between house and dirty kitchen.   The $#%@^   thing is a 1/2 inch thick, on a bit of a  grade so not sure the door will open when they are done, actually would bet a dollar to a doughnut it won't open.   I did not say anything went and sat on the porch and enjoyed my coffee.  Surface water has dissipated, I guess they are not going to trowel it.

Not looking for any suggestions on how to get it done right, just wanted to vent.

Do it yourself, or oversee everything they do.  That is the ONLY way to get a respectable job.  There is too much to discuss here concerning the bad construction habits of Filipinos, so it is up to you to know what you want and how to get it done correctly.

• Like 5

Davaoeno

Or to lower your standards a bit and stop stressing about jobs not done to Western standards. After all you are only paying 25% ? Of what that job would cost you in the West. 

• Like 2

to_dave007
18 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Do it yourself, or oversee everything they do.  That is the ONLY way to get a respectable job.  There is too much to discuss here concerning the bad construction habits of Filipinos, so it is up to you to know what you want and how to get it done correctly.

Actually I like Jesters approach..  "do it however the hell you want so long a I'm not paying".  I like the pure "not my problem" approach.  Damn..  I must be learning.

• Like 4

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Or to lower your standards a bit and stop stressing about jobs not done to Western standards. After all you are only paying 25% ? Of what that job would cost you in the West. 

A crap job isn't worth paying anything for.

• Like 3

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

A crap job isn't worth paying anything for.

I could not live in this country  or any country if I felt that way !! hehe

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

It saves a lot of money fo materials that have to be ripped out and redone.  I have a full time caretaker and I hire his son on a daily basis when we do construction.  They are pretty much unskilled except they know how to swing a hammer and the son is pretty good at masonry.  I do any welding and check all the measurements.  If there are errors I have no one to blame but myself.  They know what I want and are smart enough to stop if it doesn't look like what I normally do.  As we go along I let them do more on their own.

• Like 2

Jester

What it really adds up to is do I want to be right or do I want to be happy.  

• Like 2

shadow
35 minutes ago, Jester said:

What it really adds up to is do I want to be right or do I want to be happy.  

I am happy when I see a job that I am paying for done the way that I want it done.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

lamoe
13 hours ago, SkyMan said:

A carp job isn't worth paying anything for.

Workmanship here is akin to driving and courtesy, why change if everyone puts up with it?

Stuff that can kill you and is still done poorly

It's not that they can't do good work, it's that many - not all - but many -  don't because they've never have to.

The uncle working on our BR does good work and got extra after I saw  how he did things - actually overkill on the bed frame- also helped him  - to make it easier and go quicker - he asked for 3 k for bed, widow screen frame, etc - gave him 4 and bought him a L of SM every night there

The one working on her sister's BR does crap and I told her we will never use him.