JHB

Balikbayan Question

JHB
Posted (edited)

I plan to marry my girlfriend soon in Ilihan. We will be living at her family farm and building our own place. My question is afrer were married we plan to take a trip for a week or two in singapore. Can i get a balikbayon stamp when we arrive back in the philippines

Edited by JHB
Spelling

PeteHK

Yes, should be no problem.  You should have a copy of your marriage certificate with you as Immigration may ask to see it.  You will need to make sure you get in the right line at Immigration when you come back to the Philippines.  I know the arrangement at Cebu Mactan Airport which is that you and your wife should go through the foreign passport line together and she should ask for the BB stamp for you.  I now line up at the senior citizen line and have had no problems doing this on recent return trips.

• Like 4

Headshot
14 hours ago, JHB said:

I plan to marry my girlfriend soon in Ilihan. We will be living at her family farm and building our own place. My question is afrer were married we plan to take a trip for a week or two in singapore. Can i get a balikbayon stamp when we arrive back in the philippines

It depends. Technically, they COULD ask for an official marriage certificate (PSA certified). I think it is more likely that they will ask for that if she still has her passport under her maiden name, but there are no rules as to what they MUST ask for, so there will always be a grey area. So, it depends on the luck of the draw on Immigration Officers. If you were planning to go on this trip before you have the PSA certified copy of your Marriage certificate, then you may want to postpone it, if getting a BB stamp is important to you. .

JHB

Thanks. Her passport i didnt think about. But yeah the trip will be after married. Want the BB stamp so can save all the fees for extending. BB is good for a year and have to wait 6 months before we can apply for 13A. Thanks for your reply.

MickyG

if you are happy to travel once a year then the BB route is good over a 13a where you pay departure tax plus the  costs of a 13a clearance, close to 4500 pesos each trip.  13a is good for work and getting through red tape such as bank accounts and LTO, plus general ID

• Like 4

JHB
Posted (edited)

I really dont have a problem traveling once a year. For the start of all this it will be BB for sure though.Ilihan is a 2 1/2 hour ride ftom the city. Dont want to take that trip every couple months. Will not getting a 13a affect getting a drivers license. Whats the downside. And by the way. Thanks everybody.

Edited by JHB
Use on screen keyboard and mouse. Mistype allot

Rexsmith

If a guy has this BB Visa and he leaves the Philippines alone, then returns to the Philippines alone, without his wife, is the BB Visa voided? I read somewhere this is the case.   Thanks

Woolf
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

If a guy has this BB Visa and he leaves the Philippines alone, then returns to the Philippines alone, without his wife, is the BB Visa voided? I read somewhere this is the case.   Thanks

YES

BB is valid up to 1 year, when you leave it is voided

Edited by Woolf

Rexsmith

That makes it near useless in my opinion. 

SkyMan
On 4/4/2019 at 5:44 AM, JHB said:

Will not getting a 13a affect getting a drivers licens

If you're on BB and want a DL you'll want to go to the LTO to get the DL right away. You're supposed to have a year left to get a DL.

8 minutes ago, Rexsmith said:

Take her with you and start a new BB when you return. 

Dafey
10 hours ago, Rexsmith said:

You mean in your situation....for many of us it is a great way to avoid all the hassles and expense of a traditional visa.

• Like 4

HeyMike

I have used a BB ever since I moved here, over 10 years ago. It is the best thing for my situation. The only problem I have ever had with the BB was at JFK airport and the ticketing girl insisting I needed a return ticket. After 45 minutes of explaining things to her and her manager, my wife and I were allowed to get our boarding passes. I now travel with a print-out of what the balikbayan is for those people who are not familiar with BB's.

• Like 3

Dafey
23 hours ago, HeyMike said:

The only problem I have ever had with the BB was at JFK airport and the ticketing girl insisting I needed a return ticket.

Have had similar issues and the only time they stood firm was Cathay Pacific in HK. We stepped away from the counter and I purchased a Full Fare ticket from Cebu to HK for the following month on them. no prob, now we can travel. As soon as we arrived in Cebu I cancelled the ticket for a full refund.

• Like 2

HeyMike
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

Have had similar issues and the only time they stood firm was Cathay Pacific in HK. We stepped away from the counter and I purchased a Full Fare ticket from Cebu to HK for the following month on them. no prob, now we can travel. As soon as we arrived in Cebu I cancelled the ticket for a full refund.

Ha, I believe it was Cathay Pacific that I had the trouble with at JFK. After about 45 minutes of debating, I told the manager to just refund my money and we would fly an airline who understood what a balikbayan was. My wife was with the luggage a few feet away and I told her what was going on. Next thing the manager's attitude changed and he said... oh, you are with your wife, no problem then.

He knew damn well I was with my wife, as did the girl doing the ticketing. I guess they really thought I was going to purchase another ticket. As an aside... my passport had balikbayan stamps already in it. As I say, I now bring a print-out explaining the balikbayan when I fly.

• Like 2

SkyMan

The problem with the way BB works is that the ticket agent now has to do the job of immigration.  As a BB, you could go to check in and have your MC and a copy of the BI policy on BBs but now the attendant has to make a determination as to whether your documents are authentic and if perhaps there isn't some other rule that disqualifies you that only a BI agent would know.  So then they let you on and the airline gets a fine and has to fly you back.  There should be some means where the BB applies at the embassy for a stamp of some kind allowing them and their family to fly without return tickets with no expiration.  Even better if that verbage was written into every pinoy passport as they are all eligible even after acquiring other citz.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1