colemanlee

Philippine AF C-130 catches fire

SkyMan

Burned to dust? The guy with the hose wasn't doing much and I didn't hear any sirens.

• Like 1

colemanlee

Just going by the external fuel tanks and the color...it looks like one of the two T models the US gave them last year...the only thing in the area of the fire that would cause that are the brakes or maybe the APU which is right in front of the wheel well...thats a best guess as you really cant tell much by the pictures...and yes...it does not look like they are trying too hard to put it out lol

to_dave007

Title of video says "BEFORE take off"..  so is it reasonable that the brakes would catch fire?

Dafey
Posted (edited)

Probably saving some pesos with chinese brake pad replacement!

Edited by Dafey

SkyMan
47 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Probably saving some pesos with chinese brake pad replacement!

Rebounding 

colemanlee
6 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Title of video says "BEFORE take off"..  so is it reasonable that the brakes would catch fire?

Only if it had a stuck brake or the pilot was riding the hell out of the brakes...a C-130 has steering on the pilots side you do not use the brakes to steer....personally I have never seen hot brakes except on landing...

• Like 1

mexiwi

I'd go with APU fire.

Seen the GTC go up in an H model in the olden days.

lokias

sounds like someone behind the camera is saying "brake ba" in the video. not sure if that is fact or just what they think.

liquido
Posted (edited)

Anyone know the final outcome? Toast or Repairable?

Edited by liquido

colemanlee
On 4/2/2019 at 2:58 AM, mexiwi said:

I'd go with APU fire.

On takeoff I would also except thats most likely a T model and they have an extinguishing system just pull the T handle and it cuts off Fuel and releases the fire bottle...of course if something like a fuel line came off...it could have started a heck of a fire before being noticed.  On old Marine Corp F and R Models they had a GTC (We called the early R's Super F's  because they came with GTC instead of APU) the last four R's had a APU, then we got the T Model, and now of course have the J.  What I wonder about the T's we gave to the Phils is has somebody inspected the blades?   Thats what brought the Yankee flight down...  

• Like 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, colemanlee said:

they have an extinguishing system just pull the T handle and it cuts off Fuel and releases the fire bottle.

Sure, once, but then the second time the bottle is empty.  Maybe this was the second fire for this one.  You don't expect them to refill the bottle do you?

• Haha 2