throttleplate

credit card hacked again

throttleplate

For the 2nd time my citi cc was hacked, first time was 2 years ago and got me for around $3000.00 all used on phone calls in and around the middle east. This time cc was used in the usa for a purchase for $14.00. Citi cover the loss each time. Seems this happens whenever i use my cc  for booking motels and flights using online booking sites as i havnt used my citi cc for foreign purchases in country i am visiting or the philippines. I did use a visa cc in the ph 1 time to purchase a microwave so far no hack on visa.

I caught this hack because i have alerts set up for anything over a $.01 purchase notifies me by e-mail my card has been used. Citi sent me a new card via DHL with online delivery tracking and from the usa it took exactly 6 days for new card to be back in my hands.

• Like 8

Semper paratus
3 hours ago, throttleplate said:

For the 2nd time my citi cc was hacked, first time was 2 years ago and got me for around $3000.00 all used on phone calls in and around the middle east. This time cc was used in the usa for a purchase for $14.00. Citi cover the loss each time. Seems this happens whenever i use my cc  for booking motels and flights using online booking sites as i havnt used my citi cc for foreign purchases in country i am visiting or the philippines. I did use a visa cc in the ph 1 time to purchase a microwave so far no hack on visa.

I caught this hack because i have alerts set up for anything over a $.01 purchase notifies me by e-mail my card has been used. Citi sent me a new card via DHL with online delivery tracking and from the usa it took exactly 6 days for new card to be back in my hands.

Except in rare cases I only use a prepaid Visa card. I only put on it what I plan to use. I can reload it in a flash if need be.

liquido

Could have been hacked here and sold??  Just saying

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
8 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Except in rare cases I only use a prepaid Visa card. I only put on it what I plan to use. I can reload it in a flash if need be.

exactly what we do as well. 

4 hours ago, liquido said:

Could have been hacked here and sold??  Just saying

absolutely.  it's no doubt a big business.

SkyMan

Someone got my card from the Cebu Pacific site and used it for a flight to Manila on CP and then PAL to Thailand.  I got a new card fairly quickly.  I don't use debit or prepaid cards but watch my ccs closely.

to_dave007
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Someone got my card from the Cebu Pacific site.

That's troubling to hear.

12 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

Good idea.  Is the prepaid visa from local bank or USA bank? If local bank..  do you have Internet access to reload the card?

Edited by to_dave007

JohnSurrey
14 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Good idea.  Is the prepaid visa from local bank or USA bank? If local bank..  do you have Internet access to reload the card?

I use a prepaid one from BPI - local bank in pesos - reload online via the phone or pc - phone quite handy coz you can actually do it in the shop - saves you finding an atm or walking around with wads of cash etc.

• Like 2

SkyMan
5 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

I didn't pay for it.  Just called the CC bank and never heard another word about it.  I don't know if they just covered it or told CP and PAL to eat it but I didn't so it doesn't bother me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
49 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I didn't pay for it.  Just called the CC bank and never heard another word about it.  I don't know if they just covered it or told CP and PAL to eat it but I didn't so it doesn't bother me.

I imagine that since the airlines were unable to produce a signed receipt they ate the charges.

Semper paratus
9 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

I use a prepaid one from BPI - local bank in pesos - reload online via the phone or pc - phone quite handy coz you can actually do it in the shop - saves you finding an atm or walking around with wads of cash etc.

I do the same, BPI prepaid. No muss no fuss. So far so good. The only issue I can foresee is if BPI's site is down it could be an inconvenience, but fortunately it doesn't happen too often. Just remember where you are. 

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

I do the same, BPI prepaid. No muss no fuss. So far so good. The only issue I can foresee is if BPI's site is down it could be an inconvenience, but fortunately it doesn't happen too often. Just remember where you are. 

Annual fee?

liquido

A friend and I were discussing that if there was a feature that you could lock your card out after each use and then turn it back on before use...

Semper paratus
On 3/31/2019 at 10:54 PM, SkyMan said:

Annual fee?

There was some one time small fee, the card is good for 3 years I think it is, might be 4 years.. No annual fee. The fee is peanuts. I don't expect them to work for nothing. Go to the BPI website and it will tell you all you want to know.  https://www.bpiexpressonline.com You don't have to log in just to read stuff. Here's the fees:

https://www.bpiexpressonline.com/p/1/1328/amore-card-fees-and-charges

Thalcoozyo

Fascinating comments.  I've used my Capital One in the Phils several times.  Sporadic usage... just a few time when I'm there in country.  The family there has one of my cards ("authorized user") and know that they better be dying before they use it without permission. On the few occasions when they used it, there have been no issues. This has always been in Cebu City or Tacloban City. I've used my Capital One card like this in the Phils for, maybe, 5 or 6 years.  Have not had issues, yet.  Knock on wood.  I agree that probably 99.9% of the time it has nothing to do with the card user; it likely has everything to do with the business and/or website at which it was used. If the hackers are lurking on a website or have bored into a business' system, there's nothing that a user can do other than be vigilant and report unauthorized usage.  I like the idea of getting an automated notice when the card is used for something more than 0.01 (1 cent)... you'll always be on top of card activity.

to_dave007
On 4/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, liquido said:

A friend and I were discussing that if there was a feature that you could lock your card out after each use and then turn it back on before use...

Sounds like the BPI Prepaid card essentially gives you this. Once the money is spent it's locked.