Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Online Shopping Experiences

SkyMan

I've never used Shopee, better than Lazada or about the same?

I've used Lazada quite a bit and they know me enough to find me without txting for directions and some even know the back way to my place.  I've gotten comfortable enough with them to pay with CC so I don't need to be here when it comes and have exact change.  Last order had about 7 things from different sellers and three of them arrived separately packaged but together in a single Lazada mailer bag so they are getting smarter.  I really hate their search tool though.  It just gives you pages and pages of carp that might somehow be related to what you want.  The more you try to refine your search to what you want, the more pages you get.  Aaaargh.

Alibaba is not for those squeamish about buying online.   It's geared more for retailers buying large lots but you can often buy 1 or 2.  You have to pay up front and hope they send the right thing from China and then if they don't or it's damaged, what do you do?  I have bought a few things there though.  I bought a gas jack hammer that has worked quite well.  And some solar panels.  Shipping is slow and you might end up with some surprise customs fees.  I do like that they will work with you to get what you want and the price isn't set in stone.  Their messaging system sucks though.  You have to update the chat page to see if the seller replied or wait for an email that says they replied so then you update the chat.  Real clunky.

Aliexpress - Currently running a sale btw.  I think this is more the consumer version of Alibaba.  Mostly good experience though I haven't used them much.  I think their shipping includes customs like Lazada and search engine is better than Lazada.  Their messaging system same as Alibaba so it sucks.  Recently been going through a bit of an argument with one seller though which I don't think would happen with Alibaba as they seem more willing to work with you. 

Ex. I'm looking to upgrade the head unit on my Ranger stereo with an Android touch screen for navigation/video, whatever and hopeful improve the sound over the stock AM/FM/AUX.  The stock unit is 1DIN and most of the touch screens are 2DIN.  The fascia on my truck has a small cubby for wallet or change above the radio and one below which happens to be 1DIN sized.  I could cut that out and put in a 2DIN head unit (which is probably what I'll end up doing) but I'd prefer to replace the fascia with the proper 2DIN hole rather than cutting.  The low end Rangers in Oz (PX2 I think) have a little 3.5 inch info screen in the back of the upper cubby but I don't even have that.  I have the lowest end they just call the single-cab base model.  So I found the one for the PX2 which comes in 3 options, fascia only , centerlock and hazard light switches only, or both fascia and switches.  (Some Rangers have a different setup for those switches so replacing the fascia means you need the switches to fit the new fascia.) Then I also found the correct fascia but it only comes in the both and I don't need the switches.  First the guy argued they weren't the same unit so that's why the price is different, so I had to make a comparison picture with both from their own ads:

InkedCapture_LI.jpg.eee5e990b09a82913f77da0f41477fb7.jpghttp://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/USscX

And actually, the prices are the same except the left one is cheaper if you don't need the switches for the 2 holes above the stereo.  Now he's saying stuff like, it won't work right without the switches.  Aaaargh.  I already have them.

1448323250_20190330_081213(2).thumb.jpg.b85b38c91e109306453b663d42bcb03c.jpg

I may just get the cheaper one and cover the hole somehow but if I'm going to do that I might as well just cut the old one.

SkyMan

I found a good technique I use with Lazada and the others that works for me.  When I decide I want something I search and look for the best item/price I can find and I put it in the cart.  Sometimes I get clues to better things to put in the search to find what I want as it's not always easy to know the search terms for what I'm looking for.  Then I may also search Shoppee, Aliexpress, and even Alibaba.  But I don't actually buy anything for a while unless I'm in a hurry for some reason.  Over the next few days I start getting ads for similar items and sometimes a better choice pops up.  When it gets to the point I do need something then I look what's in the cart.  Sometimes I see things there I really don't need and remove them.  It makes it easy to do the old 3 day wait thing to see if you really want the thing or not.  I don't always buy everything in the cart either and when I do buy, it's from the app on my phone as it seems to get slightly better pricing.

cookie47

You probably all know this,, however on Lazada,,

I discovered that two menu options help price choice.

Change view to List format.. On my phone it had always "defaulted" to the square box format which i always previously used. However also i found..

On left side of screen a drop down menu asking:
High to low
Low to high.

If price is of most interest, select

Low to high.....Then the lowest price seller comes to top of the screen

As i said this is on a phone, don't know on a pc..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

BossHog

Ordered a few Chinese wives off Alibaba. Though not pristine they are in serviceable condition. Delivery wan't that fast but break-in time was quick.

• Haha 3

SkyMan
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

On left side of screen a drop down menu asking:
High to low
Low to high.

If price is of most interest, select

Low to high.....Then the lowest price seller comes to top of the screen

As i said this is on a phone, don't know on a pc..

Can do on a browser too and it is sometimes helpful, especially if you know the approximate price your item will be.  If the item you want is over say p10K you can list high to low and put all the p100 junk at the end of the list.  Maybe you're looking for a stand fan and you can skip the billion or so hand fans, car fans, and other junk not even related to what you searched on.  You can also manually change the page number in the URL on the browser so if you get 100 pages of carp in a search and your price range is somewhere in the middle of that list then go to page 50 or so.

• Like 2