Paddy

Visas for working in the Philippines legally

Paddy

I’ve just been reading the now closed thread re “Bob” and his visa problems. I don’t want to re-open that discussion but  it occurred to me no one questioned his right to work here (for $10k or P10k per month as applicable!😀 - unless it was in one of the removed posts).

He said he was on a 13A. Could he have got a valid work permit on such a visa?

I’m assuming you will not be likely to get a work permit if you are on a tourist visa -at least, not without the backing of some corporate entity that is prepared to do the necessary paperwork. 

I believe I could get a work permit with my SRRV - not that I particularly want to. I volunteer as a teacher at our local catholic school but I only accept payment in the form of a coffee at the end of a day (I was offered peanuts one time but refused with a chuckle!😁)

So - for my general education and to save me time wading through the government websites * - is anyone up to date with obtaining work permits and the right visa(s) to have? Thanks!

* My internet connection in sunny Masbate is fragile at best!

PS I assume a TIN application also gets done with a work permit or could be done separately from a work permit depending on one’s income tax situation. 

MickyG
Posted (edited)

13a allows you to work without a work visa. you have identical employment rights and responsibilities as a local. You maybe restricted from some roles that deny a foreigner to be allowed to work in such as, those jobs that are reserved for Citizens only as opposed to residents. BIR will supply the TIN

SRRV does allow you to work but you have to get registered with BIR for  a TIN  Suggest you follow the PRA guidance on this. There was a time they would hand hold you through this and explain each step re contracts etc.

Edited by MickyG
  • Like 3

maximian
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MickyG said:

13a allows you to work without a work visa. you have identical employment rights and responsibilities as a local. 

Can you tell my wife and more recently my kids about equal employment rights. Been slaving away as the imported boy for the last 25 years :).

I have also been paying social security for the past 10 years.

Edited by maximian

Paddy

@MickyG thank you. I have learned something new today. 

@maximian 3 pats on the back for being a responsible husband and parent. 😁 (they’re pretty rare in my little part of the Philippines).