Daddle

I have taken China Eastern a few times. Good service. Good prices. But the stops at Mainland China airports are bleak, and for my trip to California rather out of the way.

Jester
9 hours ago, Daddle said:

I have taken China Eastern a few times. Good service. Good prices. But the stops at Mainland China airports are bleak, and for my trip to California rather out of the way.

Flying from Florida to JFK to get to the P's makes no sense to me,  but I see no way to do a shorter route? 

Jester
14 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

i never took China Eastern either and mostly used Cathay's JFK-Cebu flights with great results.  a few have told me China Eastern might be quite a but cheaper so i guess i will look into it for our next trip.  nice to read the reviews in this thread.  

Long story on cost, but here goes.   Live in Ft Myers and a flight with reasonable connections, say 30 hours to Cebu would have cost me $1250 each X 2 = $2500.  Could fly for alot less but looooong layovers, changing airports, not for me.

China Eastern was $750 each RT X 2 = $1500, but not a $1000 savings.  Flight was out of Ft Lauderdale.  Had to rent car each way and hotel room each time a bit more than $300 in expenses.  So saved over $600 by driving to Ft Lauderdale and back and spending a couple nights in hotel rooms.  Ft Lauderdale is about a 2 1/2 hour drive each way.   This is for similar connections and about 30 hours each way.  Could have skipped the hotel rooms, but too old to live on the edge.  

• Thanks 1

lamoe

Flew out Sunday

440 Am flight -

Left Winland at 2:30 - arrive 3:10 - at gate by 3:30 - P750 terminal fee? - was told if less than one year can get ECC there - over have to go to BNI

Boarded at 3:50 - senior seat - 32 C - 4 hr flight - left early / arrived even earlier

Budget all the way - food very mediocre but they give you some

Luggage was pass through to Chicago  which I wasn't expecting - will make sure I keep jacket with me on rerun flights - cold in cabin

3 hour layover - nice seat selection again - 2 of us in 3 seat row

Kind of bumpy - not their fault

15 hr flight - arrived 1/2 hour early

All in all about what I expected (Economy - only red wine / beer - warm)

Food - good thing I brought snacks with me - some was actually uneatable - from me that's saying a lot

No problems with customs Mactan,  China, US was the easiest

On both flights noticed extreme lack of attendant interaction - meaning they came around once with drinks with meals - any more go ask

Next time will check on business costs

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 3

smokey

Senior seat?

• Like 1

lamoe
Just now, smokey said:

Senior seat?

At check in - clerk asked if senior - yes

"OK, I move you to 1st row in economy - board early"

- plane maybe 1/2 filled - had row to myself

• Like 1

smokey
11 hours ago, lamoe said:

At check in - clerk asked if senior - yes

"OK, I move you to 1st row in economy - board early"

- plane maybe 1/2 filled - had row to myself

Cool

• Like 1

lamoe

The board early thing is pretty much standard - even in US

Dafey
13 hours ago, smokey said:

Senior seat?

Comes with a spare diaper and a blanket...

15 hours ago, lamoe said:

Flew out Sunday

What was your fare?

• Haha 1

lamoe
6 hours ago, Dafey said:

Comes with a spare diaper and a blanket...

What was your fare?

Needed the blanket - once we reached cruising altitude got cold - will bring jacket onboard going home

CR was maybe 10 feet from my seat

$680.14 round trip

Was wrong about airport fee - P850

Flight Price Details

1 Senior Ticket $238.96

Travel Protection Plan Cost $44.95

Subtotal $283.91

$396.23 Taxes and Agency Fees

Flight Total $680.14

Total Charge:

$680.14

Edited by lamoe
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

That fare makes it worth the minor inconveniences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

liquido
16 hours ago, lamoe said:

Next time will check on business costs

Do not waste your time and money...Did business once and never again..I will gladly pay more to another airline..Did not care for the ambiance at all on the plane or the service..The TSA(commie) girls at Bejing transfer area seemed like N. Korean attitudes..no smiles and abrupt..They got hundreds of gate sat Bejing but China Eastern un boards and boards you on the tarmac to buses..I travel back and forth to USA 3-4 times a year and that airline is OFF my list..Only positive was the Biz lounge chow was decent..