Jester
4 hours ago, smokey said:

What makes LA a nice place now is the huge USO. Free food showers for vets it's in the old traffic control tower

Smokey I took a peak at the USO in LAX for future expeditions and it states for active duty military personal only??

• Like 1

SkyMan
53 minutes ago, Jester said:

Smokey I took a peak at the USO in LAX for future expeditions and it states for active duty military personal only??

Maybe there's more than one?  I've used USOs before but if they are going Active Duty Only I respect that.  

liquido
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Maybe there's more than one?  I've used USOs before but if they are going Active Duty Only I respect that.  

So for non active all you need is your dd214? I would think it would be mobbed..

Headshot
1 hour ago, liquido said:

So for non active all you need is your dd214? I would think it would be mobbed..

Does a retired ID card work as well? I don't know anybody who carries their DD214 with them. That would be crazy.

• Like 1

Jester
Just now, liquido said:

If it is anything like the free meals on Veterans day you are right!

liquido
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Does a retired ID card work as well? I don't know anybody who carries their DD214 with them. That would be crazy.

Now a days people keep a screenshot of everything on there phone..

Jester

Return trip on CE was uneventful with no issues.  BUT and it is a big but,  when we got to Shanghi it was raining hard, the plane taxied around the airport for some time and then parked at the terminal and we exited through a modern enclosed ramp.  I can see where parking on the tarmac and busing in freezing or inclement weather would not be pleasant if you were not prepared.

Transferring at Shanghi was easy with no hassles,  I found LAX a worse experience. 

One thing I did notice was almost no empty seats.  A decade ago traveling by myself I often got a couple seats or even a whole row to myself,  have not seen that in a long time.

• Like 2

smokey
On 3/30/2019 at 7:29 AM, Jester said:

Dam and they keep letting me in maybe its the short hair

13 hours ago, Jester said:

Return trip on CE was uneventful with no issues.  BUT and it is a big but,  when we got to Shanghi it was raining hard, the plane taxied around the airport for some time and then parked at the terminal and we exited through a modern enclosed ramp.  I can see where parking on the tarmac and busing in freezing or inclement weather would not be pleasant if you were not prepared.

Transferring at Shanghi was easy with no hassles,  I found LAX a worse experience. 

One thing I did notice was almost no empty seats.  A decade ago traveling by myself I often got a couple seats or even a whole row to myself,  have not seen that in a long time.

I spotted 3 empty where there are usually children sat in one was told that cant be done unless i pay for that seat 

• Like 1

Jester
53 minutes ago, smokey said:

Dam and they keep letting me in maybe its the short hair

I spotted 3 empty where there are usually children sat in one was told that cant be done unless i pay for that seat 

By the time we got to LAX we were into the trip about 22 hours,  so I was too whipped to check out the USO.  Maybe next trip.

GwapoGuy
Posted (edited)

Have flown China Eastern the last few times to Cebu. My all time lowest fare of $495 from ORD to CEB completed last year! The best trip duration times of 24 hours inbound and 21 hours outbound. Plane lands in Cebu at 3:40 AM when taxis are plentiful and traffic minimal. Only other airline with similar trip duration from ORD is EVA but that flight lands in Cebu at 11:00 AM when traffic is a nightmare. Would like to try Cathay but the layover in HKG is 12 to 15 hours.

China Eastern cabin service is not unlike Delta. Noticed that they didn't have ice when serving drinks. In seat entertainment had plenty of movies to choose from. Entrees consisted of meat with noodles or meat with rice. Bottled water was plentiful and passed around liberally.

Deplaning at PVG was like a breath of fresh air. Cool weather as we loaded onto two huge buses. Unfortunately, some elderly and handicapped passengers were treated rather cruelly while transferring. Seems like they are building a new terminal so hopefully outside deplaning will end soon.

Edited by GwapoGuy
  • Like 1

Jack Rat
33 minutes ago, GwapoGuy said:

Have flown China Eastern the last few times to Cebu. My all time lowest fare of $495 from ORD to CEB completed last year! The best trip duration times of 24 hours inbound and 21 hours outbound. Plane lands in Cebu at 3:40 AM when taxis are plentiful and traffic minimal. Only other airline with similar trip duration from ORD is EVA but that flight lands in Cebu at 11:00 AM when traffic is a nightmare. Would like to try Cathay but the layover in HKG is 12 to 15 hours.

China Eastern cabin service is not unlike Delta. Noticed that they didn't have ice when serving drinks. In seat entertainment had plenty of movies to choose from. Entrees consisted of meat with noodles or meat with rice. Bottled water was plentiful and passed around liberally.

Deplaning at PVG was like a breath of fresh air. Cool weather as we loaded onto two huge buses. Unfortunately, some elderly and handicapped passengers were treated rather cruelly while transferring. Seems like they are building a new terminal so hopefully outside deplaning will end soon.

I have flown with China E. I can't fault their service and by having no ice in my drinks saved telling them, 'no ice'! You will never know the purity content of the ice water..even more so here in the Philippines.

• Like 2

smokey
1 minute ago, Jack Rat said:

I have flown with China E. I can't fault their service and by having no ice in my drinks saved telling them, 'no ice'! You will never know the purity content of the ice water..even more so here in the Philippines.

I could never get my seat in advance they give random seats

HeyMike

One of my first flights to the Philippines was with an American airline, I think Continental/United. It seemed to make stops everywhere, including Manila. I learned my lesson.

Never took China E. I have always used Cathay Pacific, Asiana, or EVA. No complaints with any of those 3 airlines.

• Like 2

jtmwatchbiz
2 hours ago, HeyMike said:

Never took China E. I have always used Cathay Pacific, Asiana, or EVA. No complaints with any of those 3

i never took China Eastern either and mostly used Cathay's JFK-Cebu flights with great results.  a few have told me China Eastern might be quite a but cheaper so i guess i will look into it for our next trip.  nice to read the reviews in this thread.  

• Like 3