Jester

Web surfing I found a too good to be true price Ft Lauderdale Fl to Cebu.  $1550 (US) for 2 RT, with good connections.  I can fly out of FT Myers FL for a bit more but with what I consider bad connections,  ie 15 hours in JFK each way or change airports, Newark to JFK, then 10-12 hours in some Aisen airport.  About $2450 for decent connections out of Ft Myers.  With rental car and hotel in Ft Lauderdale is still a significant savings.  Total travel time was 28 hours 50 min, including layovers.

China Eastern has mostly bad reviews,  not my experience.  Modern airplane,  Boeing 777 285-305 on the JFK to PVG leg.   Food was not for picky eaters but no complaints from me or wife.  Crew was not the best communicators,  but not sitting around the lounge chatting with them.  Only real complaint we were separated on the PVG to CEB leg even though we had confirmed seating.   

PVG has more bad than good reviews, but am only changing planes, not buying condo! Changing planes there was quick and painless, everything was well marked,  much better than my experiences in MNL.

So for being cramped up in an aluminum tube in steerage for hours, I see little difference between CE and others?    

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jester said:

PVG has more bad than good reviews,

Only things I didn't like there was landing and then driving around 20 minutes to the gate and the security people were less friendly than TSA agents.  The one security point had automated passport/ticket readers but they didn't work so we had to get in line for the human checker but they were fairly quick.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

TimL

I have flown China Eastern round trip out of JFK to PH 4 times. I always go business class so it’s always been nice on the flight itself. Nice lay down seats, decent food (more so on the us to China leg), lots or snacks, lots of drinks, free liquor, etc.  I find that the flight crew and meals are better on the US to PVG leg rather then the other way around. I’m not sure why that is but, it is.  I am not a fan of PVG but China Eastern has a nice lounge for business/1st class passengers so it helps with the boredom of the mega-hour waits for the connecting flights. PVG’s handling of flights is something not seen in major US airports since the 70’s.  Being from Florida, I packed and dressed accordingly to go from there to the same weather in PH and then having to get out off the aircraft in PVG, in the rain, in the winter to board a shuttle bus to go to the terminal was a bone chilling experience.  I’m also a smoker so to get a cigarette, you have to go outside in their mostly open air smoking area. The security checkpoint in PVG downright sucks. They always pull everything out of my bags as I carry a lot of electronics, cables, chargers, etc. Having to give up your lighter sucks as well. Oh well, can’t be all gravy I guess.  :cool:

• Like 2

liquido
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Only things I didn't like there was landing and then driving around 20 minutes to the gate and the security people were less friendly than TSA agents.  The one security point had automated passport/ticket readers but they didn't work so we had to get in line for the human checker but they were fairly quick.

Spot on ..nasty little wenches(TSA agents)...No smiles.all yelling in chinese..They also block alot of websites in China also ..The english getting around  PVG was very hard to understand also..I fly Biz class also and found CE service was so so..I stated before im gladly paying more money to avoid PVG and CE on another airline when I go USA in april..

• Like 2

Jester

I can relate a bit, among other things, after spending 1 1/2 hours in the wrong line in MNL I will pay extra to avoid it.

• Like 1

oztony
49 minutes ago, Jester said:

I can relate a bit, among other things, after spending 1 1/2 hours in the wrong line in MNL I will pay extra to avoid it.

Thats why we fly Cathay Pacific thru Hong Kong ...to avoid Manila and land direct Cebu ....

and the Philippine Airlines like to stitch you up on luggage on the leg out of Manila also ...land with 22 kg's and then only have allowance for 15 on the domestic ...add a couple thousand pesos to your bill ....

that and delayed flights ...stuff ups whatever ....all I can say is avoid Manila all together , I have done the journey probably 35 times or so and can say that it is easier and cheaper to re route in another neighboring country and land direct into Cebu than it is to go anywhere near Manila .....(for me anyway)......

• Like 8

TimL
3 hours ago, oztony said:

Thats why we fly Cathay Pacific thru Hong Kong ...to avoid Manila and land direct Cebu ....

and the Philippine Airlines like to stitch you up on luggage on the leg out of Manila also ...land with 22 kg's and then only have allowance for 15 on the domestic ...add a couple thousand pesos to your bill ....

that and delayed flights ...stuff ups whatever ....all I can say is avoid Manila all together , I have done the journey probably 35 times or so and can say that it is easier and cheaper to re route in another neighboring country and land direct into Cebu than it is to go anywhere near Manila .....(for me anyway)......

Agreed, I started flying straight into Cebu also when C.E. opened that route. As you said, the luggage weight differences and changing planes altogether was a pain in butt.

• Like 3

Jester

I neglected to mention, upgrades to business and first class were offered on the flight, 10,000  and  30,000,  In a currency I did not know.  Looked it up and was about $650 and $2000 US,   I think.

SkyMan
12 hours ago, Jester said:

I say the same. I'd pay extra to avoid MNL. But I've never had to.  Always cheaper or the same from Cebu. 

• Like 1

Jester

Seems that not that long ago was more expensive to fly into CEB, have not compared prices in a some time as I do not want to use MNL.

Rwtom

I’ve used EVA from Houston, Taipei, to Cebu. Usually cheaper than going through Manila. I flew coach but upgraded to exit row for $130. Short layover in Taipei. No complaints. Decent prices and service 

• Like 2

savarity

Eva, Houston to PI (Manila in my case) too. Everything is always great. Will look into the Cebu route for next time, thanks.

• Like 1

throttleplate

A bit off topic but i hate LAX, i always get lost in the hallways going to international gates as the signage is confusing and then the whole area after the hallways looks more like a super high end shopping district with no gates in site.

smokey

What makes LA a nice place now is the huge USO. Free food showers for vets it's in the old traffic control tower

• Like 2

Jester

Going back to US is via LA,  will not have enough time to try the USO.  Do not care for LAX, but like I said am not buying a condo there.   When I get off jungle wifi I need to see if they have an airport app,  might help finding my way around LAX?