Sign in to follow this  
bob_lyn

Any easy way for a Fil-Am family to live in the Philippines?

shadow
Just now, bob_lyn said:

I've looked at every airlines that flies out of the Philippines to every destination in the world. Nothing remotely affordable. Not that the balikbayan can be done again anyways. That is a one time deal. The former Filipino and their dependents have to be out of the country for a year or more before returning and availing of the exemption again. :(

LOL, ok, you have all the answers. Nobody is going to change your mind, so I am done trying to help with simple things like facts.

Enjoy your stay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

Jawny

3 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

About half a million, actually. And can take years. You need to request loads of documents from abroad, mail them back abroad. Have them mailed back here. It is extremely difficult and expensive. Curious why there is so much misinformation on this site?

The OP seemed to be a legitimate query.  If you were to dig a bit into the LinC archives, or just skip over the joke posts, you’d see that members have for the most part, a sincere desire to help.  

If there is misinformation on this site, it is because there are many varied ways a simple query can be answered by the official sources.  It is a common source of irritation among foreigners to have one question get different answers depending upon when it was asked and to whom. Shadow already informed you of this.

Jst a suggestion, but you might want to consider some of the advice you’ve been given and then take some action.

For myself, I think the balikbayan approach is the beat.  Especially if I were a millionaire. 

• Thanks 1

bob_lyn
Just now, Salty Dog said:

Bob you need to use the proper terminology when talking about money here.

The term bucks generally refers to dollars, not Peso. It a gigantic difference.

If you're talking about Peso, please say Peso or use the P in front of the amount P1000.

"Bucks" refers to PHP, actually. It's easier to says bucks than "Philippine Pesos". Most people says bucks. Should not be confusing.

• Haha 2

Salty Dog
Just now, bob_lyn said:

"Bucks" refers to PHP, actually. It's easier to says bucks than "Philippine Pesos". Most people says bucks. Should not be confusing.

So you are a PHP millionaire not a US dollar millionaire...:rolleyes:

• Haha 3

Headshot
26 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

I've looked at every airlines that flies out of the Philippines to every destination in the world. Nothing remotely affordable. Not that the balikbayan can be done again anyways. That is a one time deal. The former Filipino and their dependents have to be out of the country for a year or more before returning and availing of the exemption again. :(

You should really reconsider staying in the Philippines. Living in a third-world country isn't for everybody, and it appears that it isn't for you. You have no idea what you are talking about. Go home to wherever you came from. The BB privilege can be availed over and over again, provided your wife accompanies you and your kids and re-enters the Philippines with you each time. There is no minimum time that you must stay out of the country, but most people make it at least an overnight trip.

• Like 3

RogerDuMond

Just a quick look on Google gives the cost of a round trip ticket to HK at 6018 pesos and if you can't afford that you shouldn't be here.

As far as the Balikbayan stamp, there is no limit on them. Many people on the list do that yearly, by leaving on a short Asian trip and returning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Davaoeno
22 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Curious why there is so much misinformation on this site?

I am not curious at all . It is because of people like you who post wrong information here and then insist that everyone who disagrees with  them is wrong . 

• Like 4

Salty Dog
22 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Not that the balikbayan can be done again anyways. That is a one time deal. The former Filipino and their dependents have to be out of the country for a year or more before returning and availing of the exemption again. :(

The Commissioner of Immigration Andrea D. Domingo informed the Department of Foreign Affairs on 4 June 2001 that, “All Immigration Officers at authorized ports of entry shall grant the benefits and privileges to all Balikbayan and former Filipinos included every time they enter the country to visit, regardless of their frequent travel”. This means that the above categories of persons could now avail of the Balikbayan benefits and privileges regardless of the number of times they enter the country within a year.

https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/useful-links/balikbayan-program-for-overseas-filipinos

• Like 4

bob_lyn
Just now, Jawny said:

I don’t know the law, but I do know google.  You asked a straightforward question and got equally straightforward replies.  

The OTHER advice I would provide is not contact an immigration lawyer.  Or, leave and come back.  Or, leave and not come back.  

Edit.....sorry, meant to say CONTACT A LAWYER. 

Contact a lawyer? In the Philippines? lol That's a negative. Lawyers here are not free. No such thing as legal aid. And if you have money, a lawyer will drag on a 1 month case to 10 years, and milk you dry. With zero results. My wife has a cousin that has spent all her money over a 20 year period, just trying to get a passport! Nuts. I am not looking for people to post stuff from google. Yes, I want straightforward answers. But real ones. Not wrong information. Maybe you should stop using google? Why would I leave and come back? Leave to where? With what money? Plane tickets from the RP are prohibitively expensive. Even for the wealthy. Also, in other nations, you have to pay for housing and visas as well. I just can't believe we are the first people in Philippines history to screw up this badly? I mean, I read this stuff on forums for YEARS, and never heard of this. I thought we would be OK. Look at the misinformation here? Someone said Re-acquisition costs only 50 pesos and a signature. lol

colemanlee

Indeed, our friend Bob_Lyn sounds like several who have been here before him....good advice has been given him but he obviously knows more than the people that have lived here successfully for years..personally Ive done the BB every year for the last eight years...but obviously I could not have done that....Cause Bob_Lyn can't figure it out...most of us can call ourselves Philippine "millionaires" but its the first time I've heard a foreigner say that...that tells me something about the thinking of our friend.  Insisting on using the term "bucks" seems to be another sign on not being very adaptable.  Ill go back to the old saying of "you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink".

• Like 4

bob_lyn
Just now, SkyMan said:

I would fix the wife first, then the kids.

What would be the point in having some illegal kids? The kids are more important. If anyone knows of some sort of waiver for the prohibitively expensive 9225 fees? Then we can do it. But you can't do the mom first. Have to do them together. If you do the former Filipino, then the kids will NEVER have a right to citizenship ever again. So it is better she stays a foreigner, until we can find some way to stay here.

Headshot
3 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Someone said Re-acquisition costs only 50 pesos and a signature. lol

Number one, you were wrong to not have your wife reacquire her Philippine citizenship at the nearest Philippine embassy or consulate in the US as soon as she got her US citizenship. Number two, Philippine citizenship should have been applied for each of you children as soon as they had birth certificates. If you had done those things, none of the rest of this would be any problem for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bob_lyn
Just now, SkyMan said:

Once your wife has reacquired under RA 9225, then do the kids.

image.thumb.png.472a1d041a4017643fe73c05b979d846.png

And your wife most certainly qualifies.

http://immigration.gov.ph/images/FORMS/Checklist/5Citizenship/Inclusion of Dependent.pdf

Maybe. But she was naturalized AFTER 2003. So I am not sure about her either. But what about the kids? They are the most important. They could not handle prison at their age. My wife? Maybe. But I am not letting my children fend for themselves with rapists and murderers. If anything, I would prefer my wife joined them in prison, so they might be safer.

Headshot
4 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

What would be the point in having some illegal kids? The kids are more important. If anyone knows of some sort of waiver for the prohibitively expensive 9225 fees? Then we can do it. But you can't do the mom first. Have to do them together. If you do the former Filipino, then the kids will NEVER have a right to citizenship ever again. So it is better she stays a foreigner, until we can find some way to stay here.

Have you already been here over a year on the BB privilege? If so, then you will have to dig yourself out. If not, then a quick trip out of the country will keep you and your kids legal.

Davaoeno
7 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

wife has a cousin that has spent all her money over a 20 year period, just trying to get a passport!

Im pretty sure that was one of those special NFW Passports !!  They are designed  for people who have too much money . They have proven to be very effective in solving the problem . 

• Like 1