Sign in to follow this  
bob_lyn

Any easy way for a Fil-Am family to live in the Philippines?

shadow

Bob, the first lesson of living here is, if you don't like the answer one particular government official gives you, ask another one. Go with the answer you like best. They all have their own way of interpreting the law, as you have found out already.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

bob_lyn
Just now, Jawny said:

Is this your reference ?

"Republic Act No. 9225, approved 29 August 2003, provided that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who had lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country would be deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking an oath of allegiance to the Republic, that their children whether legitimate, illegitimate or adopted, below eighteen (18) years of age, shall be deemed citizens of the Philippines, and that natural born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of a foreign country subsequent to its inactment would retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath.[11]"

No. My reference is from the BI:

smbi.jpg

Jawny
7 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

I read that. But they said the website is wrong. Also, it's not as simple as that. The kids can only become Filipino through the DFA, not the DOJ. 

Could you clarify who "they" is?  It’s not surprising if a BI website is out of date or even incorrect.  However, if your sources (other than LinC) is someone only vaguely familiar with citizenship rulings, you should consider contact an immigration lawyer.  Maybe starting at the BI.

• Like 1

bob_lyn
Just now, SkyMan said:

Are you on SRRV or what?

13a permanent resident. Which I probably do not qualify for, being married to a foreigner :(

bob_lyn
Just now, shadow said:

Bob seems to be full of misinformation. Yes, the kids would be eligible under RA 9225 also;

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php/services/citizenship-retention-and-aquisition/inclusion-of-dependents-under-r-a-9225

R/T flights to many Asian countries start around $30 each, certainly a long ways form a years salary for most.

Wrong again!

lol No offense, but you must be new in the Philippines if you are quoting the BI website. Can't go off their website. It's always wrong and never updated. I have no misinformation. Children were born after 2003, subject to the DOJ. They do not qualify, unless they are former Filipinos, or acquire via the DFA, outside the Philippines. lol Where does one get such cheap flights? lol

smbi.jpg

Salty Dog
10 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

13a permanent resident. Which I probably do not qualify for, being married to a foreigner :(

How/when did you get the 13a...

SkyMan

The page you keep posting doesn't say the kids can't get it, just that it costs p12,500 each.  Or about $240.  Even if that includes the passports that's still a little high.  BKK embassy quotes $60 for the 9225 and same for the pp so $120 each.  HK embassy it as about $112 each.

• Like 1

Salty Dog
16 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

lol No offense, but you must be new in the Philippines...

Now that's funny. Shadow has lived here for many years.

Shadow owns and operates Pinoy Visa. If he says something, you can generally be sure it's correct.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

bob_lyn
Just now, Salty Dog said:

I think Bob was referring to his children not being born before 2003...

You don't have to go back home. Just to some close SE Asian country.

Yeah. Plane tickets are just way too expensive. Even when you have a lot of money, it's just not enough for flights. We had not planned on leaving for 10 years or so. If ever. Damn. Never thought this would be as hard as it is. I'm ripping my hair out. We have considered them just over-staying. But they do not allow that anymore. They are hunting foreigners down for over-staying, and throwing the book at them.

Headshot
49 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Yeah. Only problem is the kids. We want them to live with us too. Ha ha.

Nope. Dual citizenship is only for former Filipinos that were born before 2003. First kid was born in 2014. Disqualified. Also, both parents are foreigners. So second disqualification. :(

You need to slow down on what you think you know. My daughter was born in 2011, and she has dual citizenship. Almost all of the guys on the forums with children have obtained dual citizenship for their children. So, your assumption is totally incorrect. Also, your costing for tourist visas is totally inaccurate. There is no visa in the Philippines that costs $20k a month.

However, if your wife was not a Philippine citizen when your children were born, they may not be eligible for Philippine citizenship. You would have to get with the DFA to sort that one out. If they were born when she was still a Philippine citizen, then there is no problem with dual citizenship. That said, if they aren't eligible for Philippine citizenship, you would be miles ahead to just take a short trip out of the Philippines once a year, and keep yourself and your kids on the BB privilege. Consider short trips to other Asian countries, such as Hong Kong (Disneyland), Singapore (Universal Studios), or others (just for sightseeing or a short vacation). That way, your kids get a fun trip, and you never have to sweat visas again. Your wife, on the other hand as a former citizen, IS certainly eligible for dual citizenship, and she should definitely get that taken care of at the earliest opportunity.

• Like 2

SkyMan
6 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

We have considered them just over-staying. But they do not allow that anymore.

They never did fixing this with RA9225 will cost less than overstaying in the long run.

Headshot
4 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Yeah. Plane tickets are just way too expensive. Even when you have a lot of money, it's just not enough for flights.

Horseshit. Flights to neighboring Asian cities are very cheap. I don't have as much money as you, and even I can afford annual trips.

• Like 5

bob_lyn
Just now, SkyMan said:

No,

$50 I think.

Raise your right hand repeat efter me......sign here.

About half a million, actually. And can take years. You need to request loads of documents from abroad, mail them back abroad. Have them mailed back here. It is extremely difficult and expensive. Curious why there is so much misinformation on this site?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

bob_lyn
Just now, Gus said:

Re : flights .
He watches the airline promos during the year ,and books when the right promo comes along .
It used to be Kota Kinabul mostly , but has been to Singapore, Hong Kong ,and Thailand ..flights dont need to be expensive. .
Re Australian Pension ..if youre a millionaire , you dont qualify ..
My point was .. It can be done without a millionaires budget !

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

I've looked at every airlines that flies out of the Philippines to every destination in the world. Nothing remotely affordable. Not that the balikbayan can be done again anyways. That is a one time deal. The former Filipino and their dependents have to be out of the country for a year or more before returning and availing of the exemption again. :(

• Haha 2

SkyMan
1 minute ago, bob_lyn said:

That is a one time deal. The former Filipino and their dependents have to be out of the country for a year or more before returning and availing of the exemption again. :(

No.