Sign in to follow this  
bob_lyn

Any easy way for a Fil-Am family to live in the Philippines?

bob_lyn

We got ourselves in a jam here guys and need some advice. I am from the USA and an immigrant here. Wife is Filipino. We live in the Philippines. But I thought, as many guys do, to get my wife US citizenship. Bad move. For many reasons. But I will only mention one here. We returned home to the Philippines on our final trip to live here permanently. Thought all would be perfect in the world. Only one problem, me, the foreigner, is the only one allowed to live here. Not my wife, who is from here. Nor our kids. They are all currently under balikbayan exemption, but that will expire soon. And I would hate to see my Filipino wife and kids arrested and put into a Philippines prison for overstaying foreigners! We looked into doing tourist visa, but... Listen, I am not bragging. I am a pretty wealthy guy. I mean, I am a millionaire. But tourist visas would be over 20,000 bucks a month. That is twice my salary. So... not possible. There must be SOMETHING we can do? Anyone ever encounter this situation before? Any advice helps. Thanks guys!

• Confused 1

trevorclap007

She can apply for dual citizenship.

https://www.in-philippines.com/us-philippines-dual-citizenship/

US – Philippines Dual Citizenship from a Philippine Viewpoint

All natural-born citizens of the Philippines who have acquired any other citizenship are eligible to be a Philippine dual citizen.
A person is a natural-born Filipino citizen if s/he was born to a father and/or mother who was Filipino at the time of her/his birth.

Re-acquiring Filipino citizenship

Under Republic Act No. 9225, 2003, a natural-born Filipino who lost her/his Filipino citizenship through naturalization in another country may re-acquire Filipino citizenship by taking the Philippine Oath of Allegiance before a duly authorized Philippine official. The Philippine Oath of Allegiance does not require the renunciation of citizenship in any other country.

Prior to 2003 a Filipino could not have Dual citizenship

Residency in the Philippines is not required of those who wish to re-acquire or have re-acquired Filipino citizenship.

Gus

You're a millionaire, and you can't afford to take an annual trip outside the Philippines once a year ?
My mate on an Australian pension does that with 4 kids.

Are u sure you've done your research correctly ? ( Or am I missing something ? )
Tourist visa's will cost you 20,000 ( $ ? ) A month ?

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog
47 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

But tourist visas would be over 20,000 bucks a month

I don't know where you got your information, but the cost per month is about $20 per person.

• Like 2

Salty Dog

If his wife was a US citizen when the children were born. Can they also get dual citizenship...

bob_lyn
Just now, trevorclap007 said:

She can apply for dual citizenship.

https://www.in-philippines.com/us-philippines-dual-citizenship/

Yeah. Only problem is the kids. We want them to live with us too. Ha ha.

Just now, Salty Dog said:

If his wife was a US citizen when the children were born. Can they also get dual citizenship...

Nope. Dual citizenship is only for former Filipinos that were born before 2003. First kid was born in 2014. Disqualified. Also, both parents are foreigners. So second disqualification. :(

shadow
9 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Not sure on that one. 

• Like 1

bob_lyn
Just now, Gus said:

You're a millionaire, and you can't afford to take an annual trip outside the Philippines once a year ?
My mate on an Australian pension does that with 4 kids.

Are u sure you've done your research correctly ? ( Or am I missing something ? )
Tourist visa's will cost you 20,000 ( $ ? ) A month ?

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

Do you know how expensive flights are? Cheapest flight out return is about a year's salary.

I do not have an Australian pension. lol Is it supposed to be small?

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Dual citizenship is only for former Filipinos that were born before 2003.

Your wife is 16?  With kids?

bob_lyn
Just now, Salty Dog said:

I don't know where you got your information, but the cost per month is about $20 per person.

They use pesos here. I got it from the BI's website. It is probably more expensive now.

bob_lyn
Just now, SkyMan said:

Your wife is 16?  With kids?

What?

Jawny
6 minutes ago, bob_lyn said:

Yeah. Only problem is the kids. We want them to live with us too. Ha ha.

Nope. Dual citizenship is only for former Filipinos that were born before 2003. First kid was born in 2014. Disqualified. Also, both parents are foreigners. So second disqualification. :(

Is this your reference ?

"Republic Act No. 9225, approved 29 August 2003, provided that natural-born citizens of the Philippines who had lost their Philippine citizenship by reason of their naturalization as citizens of a foreign country would be deemed to have re-acquired Philippine citizenship upon taking an oath of allegiance to the Republic, that their children whether legitimate, illegitimate or adopted, below eighteen (18) years of age, shall be deemed citizens of the Philippines, and that natural born citizens of the Philippines who become citizens of a foreign country subsequent to its inactment would retain their Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath.[11]"

• Like 4

bob_lyn
Just now, shadow said:

Trevor is right, just get them dual citizenship under RA9225. Cheap and easy, problem solved.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php/services/citizenship-retention-and-aquisition/application-for-retention-re-acquisition-of-phil-citizenship

Not true. Very expensive. Very hard. And, RA9225 is only for former Filipinos born before 2003.