Sign in to follow this  
Alk

ACR card/US Immigration interview question...

shadow
17 minutes ago, Alk said:

Thanks..i was expecting you to say something along these lines and you are right.   You mentioned in a reply to me on March 1 in another thread, to email you for information about your website, but did not include a link or it's nature.  I'm just on this site sporadically and don't keep close track on its main personalities.  You even sent me a helpful private marriage related message last year but didn't mention your service in it.  I actually just realized you were in this line of work with your reply to me in this thread on Tuesday, by which time the flights and appointment were set up.   I'll should be fine finally, for my next meeting early next week...but there was definitely a lot of stress yesterday. 

As I said above, Iive and learn.

There is a link in my signature, and a small advert banner at the top of most pages on the site. Not to mention the mention of our services by other posters in most every thread you have started on this. I wish you well. 

• Like 1

Alk
6 minutes ago, Jawny said:

Thanks for taking the time to share the good with the bad experience.  The devil is in the details, and sharing helps.  I still think it’s worth it to get Shadow's support.  

I had an experience with the immigration process which came down to one simple, but significant detail.  My wife got an approval for immigration to the USA, but it was done in Korea.  Everything went well, the documents were in order and approval came relatively quickly.  I might add that the clerical staff were helpful, but actually advised my wife to lie on the forms.  She had some gaps in her employment history.  The clerk, when she accepted the documents, told her a gap in time would be an issue.  So, she made up some employment (as a maid to a relative) and the gap was filled.  

The part that happened later has lead me to be someone who always advises HAVE EXTRA 2x2 PHOTOS AT ALL TIMES.  

The documents were approved and the packet for entrance to the USA was complete.  We were done.  Except one thing I always do, double check the details.  Whoops.  One error.  A simple, and easily fixed one.  They had shown her nationality as Korean. 

Told them, they corrected it, and all was well. 

Fast forward to the day of entry to the USA and the official, after the polite welcome, asked where the extra photo was.  Huh?  What extra photo?  Turns out, the instructions required some specific number of photos, which we provided.  One was supposed to remain in the immigration packet, though we didn’t know that.  When they corrected her nationality, they used the extra photo and didn’t tell us.  So, upon arrival she was short the one they wanted.

She wasn’t deported or denied entry.  Just told, "it’s okay, welcome to the USA"

Jawny,

I'll be the first to admit many members would have done a far better job in delivering the information to the USCIS than me.  If there is a way to make a mistake on something like this, I usually find it. My issue with the process, and in hindsight, doing it without professional help, is that there are not enough details available to ensure doing everything right. You have to make guesses about how to assemble and deliver the final product..  The I-130 form instruction sheet is lacking in detail.   I've reread it twice as I'm typing this, I can't find where they even specify needing a divorce decree.  I believe I read that in Salty's post in this thread, discussed it with my wife and told her to put a copy in our file, just in case..  They certainly don't mention some of the additional documents (a relationship timeline, Cenomar) that the person I spoke with is asking me to supply for the second meeting.   

Hopefully the worst is now over.

• Like 1

SkyMan
13 minutes ago, Alk said:

Jawny,

I'll be the first to admit many members would have done a far better job in delivering the information to the USCIS than me.  If there is a way to make a mistake on something like this, I usually find it. My issue with the process, and in hindsight, doing it without professional help, is that there are not enough details available to ensure doing everything right. You have to make guesses about how to assemble and deliver the final product..  The I-130 form instruction sheet is lacking in detail.   I've reread it twice as I'm typing this, I can't find where they even specify needing a divorce decree.  I believe I read that in Salty's post in this thread, discussed it with my wife and told her to put a copy in our file, just in case..  They certainly don't mention some of the additional documents (a relationship timeline, Cenomar) that the person I spoke with is asking me to supply for the second meeting.   

Hopefully the worst is now over.

As a general rule, just keep a file of everything you needed to have to get married.  That (and other things) was what my wife needed for the CFO seminar (your wife did that right?)   You needed your divorce decrees to get married and you both needed CENOMARs so that would have fixed those 2 issues and it wouldn't have been too hard to make up a relationship timeline on the stop, right?  Basically, they want to see that not only do you have an MC but how you got it.

• Like 1

Jawny
27 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

As a general rule, just keep a file of everything you needed to have to get married.  That (and other things) was what my wife needed for the CFO seminar (your wife did that right?)   You needed your divorce decrees to get married and you both needed CENOMARs so that would have fixed those 2 issues and it wouldn't have been too hard to make up a relationship timeline on the stop, right?  Basically, they want to see that not only do you have an MC but how you got it.

My comments were intended to point out there can be surprises even when forms are complied with.  The clerk who advised an employment timeline must not show blank periods was just trying to help.....in her view.

No CENOMAR was provided and no CFO seminar. However, did have to go through an elaborate process to "red ribbon" the marriage certificate (authentication). 

• Thanks 1

Alk
48 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Thanks for the information Skyman,

As a condition for marriage, we had to attend a marriage seminar, which delayed things by almost a month since the classes had a waiting list.    I had to attend as well, even though it was in Bisaya.    This is the first I've heard about a CFO seminar, which I just looked up.  From what I gather, once my wife has her new passport and her visa approved, she needs to attend.  is that correct?

As far keeping everything in a file. I made it clear to my wife that I would pay for and participate in everything, and she would organize and keep documentation on everything related to our marriage and our upcoming move.  She is as organized and detailed a person as anyone I've met.  I was surprised that she did not keep a copy of the divorce decree since I had to impose on my ex-wife to procure a certified copy of it from the local city hall in California and send it to us.  We had just received it early last month.   Stuff happens.  I actually got a rare apology out of her.  It was a costly oversight, but she made amends by going by herself down to the Cebu City Registrar twice in the last 2 days and pleading with them to open up their files and allow her to get a copy of the Divorce decree.  Finally got it this morning.

...The timeline should be no problem...plenty of pictures with dates attached on our Facebook timelines..especially hers.  4 years of various trips around the country are there.  I'll print them out, and just attach some verbiage linking the various trips and to our home/work life documentation.  I'm assuming that will be sufficient.  It's strange how you can be with someone constantly for over 4 years, have tons of documentation of this being the case, and still have to sweat out being believed, but i understand plenty of people try to work the system.   

enoonmai
1 hour ago, Alk said:

My issue with the process, and in hindsight, doing it without professional help, is that there are not enough details available to ensure doing everything right. You have to make guesses about how to assemble and deliver the final product..  The I-130 form instruction sheet is lacking in detail. 

You are correct, it's a confusing mess with too many experts giving old, conflicting  and just wrong advice. I started the process in early 2016 by filing the I-130 in Manila. I omitted something and got a "Notice of Intent to Deny". I think that's what it was. I immediately contacted Shadow and he walked me through the rest of the way. Having him there to answer all the questions was invaluable and saved so much stress. You can do it yourself but it was well worth it to me to have someone who actually knew what he was doing. The stakes are too high.

Good luck.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

SkyMan
43 minutes ago, Alk said:

This is the first I've heard about a CFO seminar, which I just looked up.  From what I gather, once my wife has her new passport and her visa approved, she needs to attend.  is that correct?

Unless things have changed she'll need to do the CFO to get a pp in her married name.  They will give her a cert. After she gets the Visa she goes back and they take the cert and put a sticker/ stamp in her pp.

1 hour ago, Jawny said:

My comments were intended to point out there can be surprises even when forms are complied with.  The clerk who advised an employment timeline must not show blank periods was just trying to help.....in her view.

No CENOMAR was provided and no CFO seminar. However, did have to go through an elaborate process to "red ribbon" the marriage certificate (authentication). 

My reply was to Alk though I quoted him and he was replying to you. 

Headshot
57 minutes ago, Alk said:

Thanks for the information Skyman,

As a condition for marriage, we had to attend a marriage seminar, which delayed things by almost a month since the classes had a waiting list.    I had to attend as well, even though it was in Bisaya.    This is the first I've heard about a CFO seminar, which I just looked up.  From what I gather, once my wife has her new passport and her visa approved, she needs to attend.  is that correct?

As far keeping everything in a file. I made it clear to my wife that I would pay for and participate in everything, and she would organize and keep documentation on everything related to our marriage and our upcoming move.  She is as organized and detailed a person as anyone I've met.  I was surprised that she did not keep a copy of the divorce decree since I had to impose on my ex-wife to procure a certified copy of it from the local city hall in California and send it to us.  We had just received it early last month.   Stuff happens.  I actually got a rare apology out of her.  It was a costly oversight, but she made amends by going by herself down to the Cebu City Registrar twice in the last 2 days and pleading with them to open up their files and allow her to get a copy of the Divorce decree.  Finally got it this morning.

...The timeline should be no problem...plenty of pictures with dates attached on our Facebook timelines..especially hers.  4 years of various trips around the country are there.  I'll print them out, and just attach some verbiage linking the various trips and to our home/work life documentation.  I'm assuming that will be sufficient.  It's strange how you can be with someone constantly for over 4 years, have tons of documentation of this being the case, and still have to sweat out being believed, but i understand plenty of people try to work the system.   

Just make sure that the story you write down is the same one she will give if asked in the interview. On the CFO seminar, she can do that anytime (and the sooner the better), but they won't put the certificate in her passport until she has her visa. You don't want to delay, and then have another stumbling block before you take her out of the country.

throttleplate

Here is my recent experience. I hired Shadow and his wife to fill out the forms as i was totally lost on the questions and trying to learn from youtube and other websites only confused me more. We are applying using DCF visa.

I went to manila in feb for my appnt to file i-130, the lady behind the glass was super nice and knew exactly what she was looking for on the forms as she caught 1 mistake and told me how to correct it. The question was about my wife if she ever went by another name and my wife put no which was wrong because she is a widow and of course she used her deceased  panay husbands last name throughout their marriage. So the lady had me write in her widowed last name and then had me sign my name beside it. My files were all in order per Shadows instructions and pics were on white paper 2 per page front and back total 4 pages 16 pics total. 70% of the pics were wedding pics of us and the judge in the courtroom and familly gathering pics.

The lady is behind thick bullet proof glass i would geuss and its really hard to hear her through the tiny opening and she wastes no time shuffling through the paperwork and like i said she knows what to look for depending on like if you or your wife were previously married and death or divorce came into play as was my wifes case. The process with that lady took all of 3 minutes and then she sent me to go pay the $535.00 us dollars at another window and then back to her with reciept and then sign a form and then she says it will take 60 to 90 days to recieve a decision. Its now 41 days and still no decision. I do recommend Shadow, we went to visit him in duma from iloilo by taking boat and then bus as airplane was just so unreal expensive as the flight for 2 round trip cost more than it did for our thailand round trip tickets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

enoonmai
20 hours ago, throttleplate said:

The process with that lady took all of 3 minutes and then she sent me to go pay the $535.00 us dollars at another window and then back to her with reciept and then sign a form and then she says it will take 60 to 90 days to recieve a decision. Its now 41 days and still no decision. I do recommend Shadow, we went to visit him in duma from iloilo by taking boat and then bus as airplane was just so unreal expensive as the flight for 2 round trip cost more than it did for our thailand round trip tickets.

I went back and looked at all my old emails for this; I filed the I-130 on Jan 27, 2016 and it was approved Feb 12th barely 2 weeks later and that included the week lost with the missing info. But I wasn't notified until 3/7, almost a month later and that was after MANY email inquiries. Your petition has probably already been approved.

I had the visa in hand on May 10th and that included more than a week's screw up with 2GO twice promising to deliver it on certain days, sitting around all day waiting for it, then saying they don't deliver to our area and having to drive to Cebu City to get it. Even with the stupid delays the entire thing took a little more than 3 months. Of course things change, usually not for the better. Good luck.

• Like 2

shadow
6 minutes ago, enoonmai said:

I went back and looked at all my old emails for this; I filed the I-130 on Jan 27, 2016 and it was approved Feb 12th barely 2 weeks later and that included the week lost with the missing info. But I wasn't notified until 3/7, almost a month later and that was after MANY email inquiries. Your petition has probably already been approved.

I had the visa in hand on May 10th and that included more than a week's screw up with 2GO twice promising to deliver it on certain days, sitting around all day waiting for it, then saying they don't deliver to our area and having to drive to Cebu City to get it. Even with the stupid delays the entire thing took a little more than 3 months. Of course things change, usually not for the better. Good luck.

While most of our clients get the NOA2 approval within two weeks, it is not uncommon for it to take longer either. Often this seems to be due to them investigating the petitioner. Recently we had a client whose case took much longer than normal, then we received notice that they had sent a divorce decree to Mexico for verification. Sure enough, it came back as fake.

In this particular case, ThrottleP has never before been married, and I would not be surprised if they are leaving no stone unturned looking for evidence of past marriages, as there are few American men in their 50s who have never before been married.

Almost every case is different in some way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SkyMan
11 hours ago, shadow said:

then we received notice that they had sent a divorce decree to Mexico for verification. Sure enough, it came back as fake.

Would like to hear more about this story....

shadow
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Would like to hear more about this story....

Last I heard he went to Guam to get a valid divorce. I'm not certain how they will react to this, omitting information is common and is one thing, supplying falsified documents is another...

• Like 1

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, shadow said:

Last I heard he went to Guam to get a valid divorce. I'm not certain how they will react to this, omitting information is common and is one thing, supplying falsified documents is another...

Did he have an excuse for that?

shadow
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Did he have an excuse for that?

I didn't ask.