Jump to content

The US Interstate Highway System


Woolf

Recommended Posts

Woolf
26 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Of course it is up to Norway and Norwegian taxpayers but if I were a Norwegian in Oslo or other Norwegian city I would wonder about the cost vs. benefit.  I imagine the tolls will be significant so cheaper than ferries? As an engineer it's very cool.

And I wonder why have the interstate highway system in USA, is it cost effective  ?

what does people in california care about highways in the east

and what do people in new york care about highways in the west ??

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

The interstate system in the US was built for the same reason as the Autobahn in Germany ... to be able to quickly move military units around the country. Cost effectiveness and how useful they were to the average citizens were not part of the equation.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
25 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The interstate system in the US was built for the same reason as the Autobahn in Germany ... to be able to quickly move military units around the country. Cost effectiveness and how useful they were to the average citizens were not part of the equation.

That was certainly a driving force when it started but it's more about interstate commerce now.  And there's plenty of pork barrel too.

1 hour ago, Woolf said:

And I wonder why have the interstate highway system in USA, is it cost effective  ?

If there's enough demand, yes.  They don't tend to build $50B sections of highway to service a few small towns.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
to_dave007
57 minutes ago, Woolf said:

And I wonder why have the interstate highway system in USA, is it cost effective  ?

what does people in california care about highways in the east

and what do people in new york care about highways in the west ??

I remember once driving on I-40 east of Flagstaff and at one point the road dipped through a shallow bowl of a depression so that you could see several miles both ahead and behind.  And what did I see..  a steady unbroken line of trucks both ahead of me and behind me, in both directions.  two solid lines are trucks as far as I could see into the distance.  And off to the side..  perhaps a kilometer from I-40  was a long train..  again.. into the distance.

I remember at the time thinking that "This is what a world leading economy looks like".

29 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The interstate system in the US was built for the same reason as the Autobahn in Germany ... to be able to quickly move military units around the country. 

 Bill..  correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Interstate system designed to provide aircraft landing spots all along it's length?   straight flat sections with no overhead obstructions.  for fighters..  to be able to disperse them quickly if needed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
4 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Bill..  correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Interstate system designed to provide aircraft landing spots all along it's length?   straight flat sections with no overhead obstructions.  for fighters..  to be able to disperse them quickly if needed.

I'm not Bill but I believe originally there was a requirement that there be sections of Interstates that were dead straight and had no overpasses or power lines or other obstructions periodically for emergency runways.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
6 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Bill..  correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Interstate system designed to provide aircraft landing spots all along it's length?   straight flat sections with no overhead obstructions.  for fighters..  to be able to disperse them quickly if needed.

That is true in Korea, but that was never the plan in the US. In Korea, there are many places where there are parking areas next to the highway so they could quickly be converted into landing strips. There is nothing like that in the US. You have to remember that the interstate system in the US was initiated by Eisenhower, who had just returned from Germany. Cross-country troop movements were his biggest concerns. Before the interstate system, military units were moved by train because the road system was too poor to move military units quickly.

13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

That was certainly a driving force when it started but it's more about interstate commerce now. 

That is true, but the original driver was for the military.

Link to post
Share on other sites
jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

that was never the plan in the US.

well we don't know that for sure.   it does seem possible that may have been taken into consideration during the design of certain sections and areas.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

The interstate system in the US was built for the same reason as the Autobahn in Germany ... to be able to quickly move military units around the country. Cost effectiveness and how useful they were to the average citizens were not part of the equation.

 

2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

 Bill..  correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Interstate system designed to provide aircraft landing spots all along it's length?   straight flat sections with no overhead obstructions.  for fighters..  to be able to disperse them quickly if needed.

 

2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I'm not Bill but I believe originally there was a requirement that there be sections of Interstates that were dead straight and had no overpasses or power lines or other obstructions periodically for emergency runways.

Interstate Highway System - The Myths

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.cfm

 
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
8 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Interstate Highway System - The Myths

https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/interstate/interstatemyths.cfm

 

Certainly that's the official story.  But I believe there may have been some defense related influence on the construction.  And I'm sure there are sections identified for emergency use.  No reason not to.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

The use of interstate highways as runways is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.  There are ample airstrips throughout North America capable of handling emergency situations.  As well, the use of air traffic control is much better if the ATC knows something about the landing strips. 

Once landed on the interstate, the aircraft may require service or even just parking.  This is not practical or even desirable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
jtmwatchbiz
18 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The use of interstate highways as runways is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.  There are ample airstrips throughout North America capable of handling emergency situations.  As well, the use of air traffic control is much better if the ATC knows something about the landing strips. 

perhaps now but we are talking about back a long time ago.  even present day there are emergency landings at drag racing facilities so ample airstrips is not a given.  

Edited by jtmwatchbiz
Link to post
Share on other sites
Edwin

The four loops in a typical highway cloverleaf are designed for space ships to land in. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
jtmwatchbiz
3 minutes ago, Edwin said:

The four loops in a typical highway cloverleaf are designed for space ships to land in. 

perhaps but that doesn't explain why they still hover over Elvis's grave. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
39 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

perhaps now but we are talking about back a long time ago. 

Yes, if you scour Google earth enough in the western US you can find concrete arrows that were used as nav devices for while.  Some have a small tower at the end to light them at night.  Then electronic navs were invented and they became obsolete.

 

39 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

even present day there are emergency landings at drag racing facilities so ample airstrips is not a given.  

Yes, when you have an engine problem there are not enough at all.

 

57 minutes ago, Jawny said:

The use of interstate highways as runways is a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.  There are ample airstrips throughout North America capable of handling emergency situations.  As well, the use of air traffic control is much better if the ATC knows something about the landing strips. 

Once landed on the interstate, the aircraft may require service or even just parking.  This is not practical or even desirable.

In a war situation all the airstrips would be targeted.  Then what?  I'm not talking about an engine failure type emergency.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..