DAK - Denmark, Imported Chopped Ham

Paul

I don't know if many of you like having a ham sandwich from time to time. But, I enjoy one, fairly often. I'm talkin' making one with a couple of slices of a DAK ham, and add a little mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, and tomato.

While DAK Imported chopped ham might not be the highest quality ham one may find here, it is available in many of the grocery stores in Cebu (City & Province). (I'm sure there are higher quality deli meats available at Gustavian, Tinder Box, and other similar outlets.)

gallery_1_99_22853.gif

Anyway, for about Php 200, or just a bit over, you can get a tin containing 16 oz (1 pound) or 454 grams of Denmark quality ham. I make it a point to keep several tins available.

samatm

No. just Spam

Paul
No. just Spam

I wouldn't use Spam in the same sentence! :P

I just happened to be looking at one of the tins I had here this morning, and thought others may benefit from knowing about DAK.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program. :D

• 9 months later...

There is decent to good ham here. I find it better than Dak (at least for me). I think the Dak we get here is not as good as is imported to other countries. If it is not P300 or above (a decent size ham), it is just blender meat (the local stuff) Parts is parts... The stuff in the small packs from Davao (Swiss Deli-available at Fooda and Rustans) I find good. At Xmas, getting the Chinese hams with bone-in I like. This year, the one I got was way too salty though, but still got the bone in the freezer for some good split pea soup soon...

Whats wrong with Spam? I actually like it and I grew up on Spam. I don't eat it all the time but I do like it.coffee.gif

Yaeh I guess an occasional spam sandwich is ok as long as its between 2 thick slices of ham :biggrin_01:

lazydays

I don't eat Spam,but have been told by some US expats,that it is 2 to 3 times more expensive in Phils than it is in the US,due to it being imported.

I'm sure other Forum members here,will have more accurate info on the cost and availability of Spam.

I don't eat Spam,but have been told by some US expats,that it is 2 to 3 times more expensive in Phils than it is in the US,due to it being imported.

I'm sure other Forum members here,will have more accurate info on the cost and availability of Spam.

It's available all over the country in most average sized supermarkets @ about 100p per tin so roughly 2 and a quarter and it seems to be popular in most asian countries

Edited by bikerdave
lazydays

It's available all over the country in most average sized supermarkets @ about 100p per tin so roughly 2 and a quarter and it seems to be popular in most asian countries

Mmm interesting,it costs about P100 (equivelant)in the UK.

That doesn't surprise me,as UK food is lot more expensive than the US.

I believe the US,in relation to earnings,has the cheapest food in the World.

I'm just not a fan of any pressed meats. A good mate of mine turned me on to a local product called Virginia Cooked Ham made in Compostella. Comes frozen in 250g packages for P80. It's sliced, lean and has good taste.

Caveats, as always with almost any product you buy here.

Check the back of the package, see through, like you would bacon for the leanest pack.

MANY times stores will have issues with freezers and the meats will be thawed and refrozen. Make sure the color is a dark reddish pink and not lighter in color as that is a sign of refreezing.

Use the ham within 2-3 days of opening!

Edited by Bob Ward
cebubird

Mmm interesting,it costs about P100 (equivelant)in the UK.

That doesn't surprise me,as UK food is lot more expensive than the US.

I believe the US,in relation to earnings,has the cheapest food in the World.

Well Spam here costs about $2.79 unless on sale. Wal Mart has for about 2.29.

I like to keep it in fridge and cut off little pieces just for little munchies.

Had friend who was GenMgr of a Chevy dealer who could not go a day without spam-ate it anywayyou could think of.

Once he took trip to Europe with some other GM managers and packed one extrabag with Spam .

Anyway glad to know that is available in Cebu.

Also glad to hear about the DAK ham. Never buy it here, cause good ham of course available everywhere.

Yep, Paul--lettuce, tomato, mustard and mayo--tats he way to go.

Bologna is good that way also.

• 2 months later...

At Xmas, getting the Chinese hams with bone-in I like. This year, the one I got was way too salty though, but still got the bone in the freezer for some good split pea soup soon...

Split Pea Soup! ..... Where the heck do you find split peas in the Philippines?

Speaking of spam,

We buy cases of own brand stuff in Ireland from Lidl, or Aldi.

Its only 50 cents of so each, and we use them as give aways, the relatives are always happy with it. Better than chocolate.

Dak ham is ok, but the fat content turns me away.

easy44

At Xmas, getting the Chinese hams with bone-in I like. This year, the one I got was way too salty though, but still got the bone in the freezer for some good split pea soup soon...

Split Pea Soup! ..... Where the heck do you find split peas in the Philippines?

I buy them at Ayala Supermarket. We have split pea soup all the time.

BTW, the Purefoods frozen Fiesta Ham is pretty good. Solid lean meat, high quality. About P400 for 1kg in the frozen meat section also at Ayala.