Chilippines

Private Schools Around Ormoc

Chilippines

Hey Guys,

New to the forums here as we move closer to our big move in November to Ormoc.

I was curious if any of you could give me opinions or anything you have heard about the private schools around Ormoc? We have 2 young boys that we plan to place in a private school once we move there. Searching for information about most places in the Philippines is pretty much futile as there is not much to be found.

What we do know so far is of 2 options for sure. ( btw our boys would be going into Kindergarten and 4th grade )

1) St. Paul's School of Ormoc Foundation Inc. ( wife's relative is going to get us a flyer soon on cost etc )

2) Ormoc Immaculate Concepcion School Foundation ( we have the flyer on this one )

3) Any other private schools that you guys might know? I think there is the Albuera Private School as well, I thought someone mentioned that a few years back when we were on vacation, but couldn't find anything on it.

Would love to hear any kind of information good or bad about any of the ones I do know about or don't know about.

Thanks in advance,

JJ

Jawny

My children have attended school closer to Baybay City. However, they have gotten to know some students from Ormoc City and St Peter's students seem to be ok and do well academically.

Albuera is a bit of a commute from Ormoc.  Not far, but will add to the length of school days.  

The differences between private and public schools may not be as obvious as you might think.  I’d suggest you inquire about the public schools available to you. Some of the private schools may be resource poor.  That is, might have fewer things for the students such as computers, band, sports etc.  

One benefit you'll likely find is there are likely to be more inter school activities and the like.  

Welcome to Leyte. 

Soupeod
6 hours ago, Chilippines said:

Hey Guys,

New to the forums here as we move closer to our big move in November to Ormoc.

I was curious if any of you could give me opinions or anything you have heard about the private schools around Ormoc? We have 2 young boys that we plan to place in a private school once we move there. Searching for information about most places in the Philippines is pretty much futile as there is not much to be found.

What we do know so far is of 2 options for sure. ( btw our boys would be going into Kindergarten and 4th grade )

1) St. Paul's School of Ormoc Foundation Inc. ( wife's relative is going to get us a flyer soon on cost etc )

2) Ormoc Immaculate Concepcion School Foundation ( we have the flyer on this one )

3) Any other private schools that you guys might know? I think there is the Albuera Private School as well, I thought someone mentioned that a few years back when we were on vacation, but couldn't find anything on it.

Would love to hear any kind of information good or bad about any of the ones I do know about or don't know about.

Thanks in advance,

JJ

JJ,  I sent you a Pm, if a mod can allow you access, much appreciated.

Welcome to Leyte!

Salty Dog
11 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

If a mod can allow you access, much appreciated.

Done.

Soupeod
5 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Done.

Thanks Dawg!

Chilippines
12 hours ago, Jawny said:

My children have attended school closer to Baybay City. However, they have gotten to know some students from Ormoc City and St Peter's students seem to be ok and do well academically.

Albuera is a bit of a commute from Ormoc.  Not far, but will add to the length of school days.  

The differences between private and public schools may not be as obvious as you might think.  I’d suggest you inquire about the public schools available to you. Some of the private schools may be resource poor.  That is, might have fewer things for the students such as computers, band, sports etc.  

One benefit you'll likely find is there are likely to be more inter school activities and the like.  

Welcome to Leyte. 

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it.

It seems I have overlooked what seems to sound like the best option in Ormoc, and that is St. Peter's College, I always assumed it was just a college lol

We will definitely be digging in to finding out more about St. Peters here over the next few weeks.

I do know there is a very large public school near Ormoc which is next to Eastern Visayas State University, we will have to try and dig up some information on how well it performs.

Once again thank you,

JJ

Jawny
9 hours ago, Chilippines said:

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it.

It seems I have overlooked what seems to sound like the best option in Ormoc, and that is St. Peter's College, I always assumed it was just a college lol

We will definitely be digging in to finding out more about St. Peters here over the next few weeks.

I do know there is a very large public school near Ormoc which is next to Eastern Visayas State University, we will have to try and dig up some information on how well it performs.

Once again thank you,

JJ

I’m not sure which large public school you are referring to, but Visayas State University, closer to Baybay City and Ormoc, has an elementary school, grades 7-10 and also grades 11 and 12.  These are private schools.  There is a lot of interest for kids to go to these schools, so they have entrance exams and such.  The schools were basically intended to provide school for employees of the VSU and others entered as space was available.....hence the entrance exams for the higher grades.  

Some families from Ormoc City have children attending the higher grades, and many stay in dormitories on campus.  It’s a long commute otherwise, but can be done in less than an hour. 

These schools are private, but that doesn’t mean they are supplied well with staff or materials.  There is not much in the way of computer access, no real sporting or music activities.  The teaching staff in the lower grades are staffed from the university. In effect, graduates who want to teach, but end up teaching on their campus.  When an opportunity for a public school teaching job becomes available, they leave.  

It is not unusual for a college to have lower grades in the fashion at VSU. In the case at VSU, the high school (grades 7-10) is called a laboratory high school.  The laboratory refers to the school I believe as the teachers are from VSU and a lot of the actual classroom teaching is done by students of VSU. 

I have three children who have attended these schools.  

Chilippines
On 3/23/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jawny said:

I’m not sure which large public school you are referring to, but Visayas State University, closer to Baybay City and Ormoc, has an elementary school, grades 7-10 and also grades 11 and 12.  These are private schools.  There is a lot of interest for kids to go to these schools, so they have entrance exams and such.  The schools were basically intended to provide school for employees of the VSU and others entered as space was available.....hence the entrance exams for the higher grades.  

Some families from Ormoc City have children attending the higher grades, and many stay in dormitories on campus.  It’s a long commute otherwise, but can be done in less than an hour. 

These schools are private, but that doesn’t mean they are supplied well with staff or materials.  There is not much in the way of computer access, no real sporting or music activities.  The teaching staff in the lower grades are staffed from the university. In effect, graduates who want to teach, but end up teaching on their campus.  When an opportunity for a public school teaching job becomes available, they leave.  

It is not unusual for a college to have lower grades in the fashion at VSU. In the case at VSU, the high school (grades 7-10) is called a laboratory high school.  The laboratory refers to the school I believe as the teachers are from VSU and a lot of the actual classroom teaching is done by students of VSU. 

I have three children who have attended these schools.  

Thanks for the info!

• Like 1