Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Ephedrine ‘anti allergy’ shipment lands Canadian veteran in hot water

SkyMan

http://philippineslifestyle.com/ephedrine-anti-allergy-canadian/?fbclid=IwAR1jSg8NuJkm3eE9pWQdmfdmwApPM09hvLuqOkJzwrPtYwah-apJseOd-2Y

image.png.d71e7c5bcc9720fa7d27ef61666909a5.png

Canadian Army veteran Gary Gardner Mader and some of the 650 tablets of ephedrine seized in Pasay City yesterday. While the drug can be legally purchased in Canada, it is illegal in the Philippines.

A Canadian man has been arrested by anti-drug police after collecting a parcel of the asthma drug ephedrine from a mail office.

Police have identified the suspect as Gary Gardner Mader. He was detained at the Central Mail Exchange Center in Pasay City yesterday (Tuesday, March 19).

Police said they recovered 650 ephedrine tablets that were sent to the post office by NutriFarm Supplement, a health company based in Toronto. The parcel was labelled as “Asthma Supplement”.

According to Wikipedia, 8mg tablets of the drug can be legally sold in Canada as an “oral nasal decongestant”.

Mr Mader, a Canadian Army veteran, has claimed that he has used the drug to treat a skin allergy for the past two decades.

Ephedrine banned in Philippines

However, in the Philippines the drug is also as a dangerous drug by the Dangerous Drugs Board through its Board Regulation No. 4, series of 2005. As of July 2016, each gram of ephedrine is worth about 350 pesos.

Ephedrine can be used in the manufacture of methamphetamine hydrochloride, or shabu, according to Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) spokesman Derrick Carreon.

Police spokesman Senior Superintendent Bernard Banac said today that suspicions were raised due to the sheer volume of tablets.

He said: “Being a precursor or ingredient, it is illegal to import it into the country, unless you have a permit or authority from PDEA.” 

Mr Mader has now been charged in violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002, and RA 10863, or Customs Modernization and Tariff Act.

Police said they are now conducting further investigations to determine whether anybody else was involved in the shipment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

650 tablets x 8 grams/tablet x 350 peso/gram = 1,820,000..  Enough I suppose for some desperate people to take a chance.

• Haha 1

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

I am NOT buying this guys story !!  He told someone he could get them large quantities of ephedrine and they paid him to do so . It is used to make shabu  [ crystal meth ]

Google the use of ephedrine in treating skin problems -  it is not easy to find anything .  .  In fact the company in Canada who sold it to him has a website with uses listed for their drugs and the only use listed  for this product is as a nasal decongestant.

www.nutrifarm.ca/pierce-ephedrine-hcl-8-mg-50-tablets/

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2

BossHog
35 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

nasal decongestant

He must have had a very congested nose!

• Haha 1

smokey

Breaking bad Canada edition

• Like 4

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

I am NOT buying this guys story !! 

i don't think anyone but the most gullible would :biggrin_01:

• Like 1

Headshot
3 hours ago, smokey said:

Breaking bad Canada edition

More likely Locked Up Abroad...   :baseballbat:

• Haha 1

rfm010
On 3/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, to_dave007 said:

650 tablets x 8 grams/tablet x 350 peso/gram = 1,820,000..  Enough I suppose for some desperate people to take a chance.

Milligrams.  Each pill seems to have 8 milligrams not 8 grams.  Makes the value of this high stakes bust more like p2000.

• Thanks 1

savarity

Seems reasonable. Probably living here, and just ordered in his ordinary medication without knowledge of the law. In theory, I could see myself making a similar mistake.

• Like 2

SkyMan
5 hours ago, savarity said:

Seems reasonable. Probably living here, and just ordered in his ordinary medication without knowledge of the law. In theory, I could see myself making a similar mistake.

That's why I posted the article. 

• Like 5

Paddy
10 hours ago, savarity said:

I disagree. It has to be a 1 year supply at 2 per day. I’m surprised that any Canadian “pharmacy” would sell such a quantity to a single customer in one transaction and then “mis-label” the package as an “Asthma Supplement” (the bottles clearly say Oral Nasal Decongestant) and then send it to the Philippines....

Even if they put this on their website!!

“*International Orders - Ensure before placing any order with ephedrine HCL that it is allowed in your country. No refunds will be given if your products get seized or disallowed by customs. These products are for personal use only and are purchased at your own risk.”

The site also contains warnings about not using this product as a precursor:

“To be used as a nasal decongestant and is for personal use only. Not to be used as a precursor for any illegal products.TAKE ONLY ON THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN.”

I am also surprised that this company, which bills itself as a Vitamins and Health Supplements online supplier, can actually sell Ephedrine...but it does...at CAD$4.50 for 50 8mg tablets. 

• Like 1

savarity
I disagree. It has to be a 1 year supply at 2 per day. I’m surprised that any Canadian “pharmacy” would sell such a quantity to a single customer in one transaction and then “mis-label” the package as an “Asthma Supplement” (the bottles clearly say Oral Nasal Decongestant) and then send it to the Philippines....

Even if they put this on their website!!

“*International Orders - Ensure before placing any order with ephedrine HCL that it is allowed in your country. No refunds will be given if your products get seized or disallowed by customs. These products are for personal use only and are purchased at your own risk.”

The site also contains warnings about not using this product as a precursor:

“To be used as a nasal decongestant and is for personal use only. Not to be used as a precursor for any illegal products.TAKE ONLY ON THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN.”

I am also surprised that this company, which bills itself as a Vitamins and Health Supplements online supplier, can actually sell Ephedrine...but it does...at CAD$4.50 for 50 8mg tablets. 

Nah, I bought 1000 pills of Metformin (diabetes medication), from a Canadian pharm and it varies but can be over a 5 year supply to me. They labeled it something like, "supplements," when it arrived.

People legit buy medication from online firms, to save money, and not for nefarious reasons. I've bought from 'pharmacies' in Vanuatu, to save money, and sincerely need the medication.

I went to Thailand and here in PI to save money on surgeries. It's not such a unheard of thing.

Davaoeno

But Metformin is not one of the main ingredients in the production of illegal drugs.  Ephedrine is- and is controlled for that reason .

• Like 2

Paddy

@savarity I bow to your greater knowledge of online “supplement” ordering. 

However, it very much feels that this particular online vitamin and supplement supplier is flying very close to a legal/non-legal line. Their site caveat placing liability on the purchaser is very clear. They also clearly state what the product is for - and it’s certainly not an Asthma supplement by their own description!

The biggest “gotcha” for me is labelling a shipment of clearly labelled bottles of Oral Nasal Decongestant (take a look at the pics on their website) containing ephedrine as a supplement. Ditto in Savarity’s own case where the supplier vaguely labelled a diabetes medication as a supplement. If it’s legal, why not say exactly what it is?

The Oxford dictionary defines supplement as “a thing added to something else in order to complete or enhance it”

it further defines medication as “a drug or other form of medicine that is used to treat or prevent disease”

Would anyone seriously want to complete or enhance asthma?

Davaoeno
6 hours ago, savarity said:

Nah, I bought 1000 pills of Metformin (diabetes medication), from a Canadian pharm and it varies but can be over a 5 year supply to me. They labeled it something like, "supplements," when it arrived.

People legit buy medication from online firms, to save money, and not for nefarious reasons. I've bought from 'pharmacies' in Vanuatu, to save money, and sincerely need the medication.

I went to Thailand and here in PI to save money on surgeries. It's not such a unheard of thing.

"Over a 5 year supply" ???  I urge you to check the expiry date. I buy met metformin all the time and find it almost impossible to find supplies with an expiry date more than 1 year away