Sign in to follow this  
tokyoman

Clerical error cost me at the Immigration office

tokyoman

A couple of days ago after 59 days on a tourist visa I applied for a 2 month extension and  was told to come back after paying 6,034 pesos on a non express application. Today I went in to collect my passport and found out I was mistakenly given only 1 month instead of 2 months. I politely explained that it was the error of the immigration and could they change it to a 2 month extension as I asked for . The lady who processed it apologised saying it was her mistake but told me she couldn't change it and to come back in a month and pay for another extension. Being aware that I could be blacklisted for standing my ground I didn't take it any further.

It would be great to hear any opinions here from long term stayers on what they would have done. Just curious as their error cost me about 1500 peso and another 2 trips to immigration.

SkyMan

Did you get a receipt when you paid and did it show p500 (1 month) or p1k?

tokyoman

Yes it did show just 500 peso but there was no reference on the receipt of how long the extension was for......thinking back I should've been more aware of the fees..

• Like 1

Province-life

I was blacklisted last year for being rude, ended up being the most stressful 2 weeks of my life and had to pay a 35k peso fine so I'd say you made the right decision to not make a fuss lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Soupeod
3 hours ago, tokyoman said:

A couple of days ago after 59 days on a tourist visa I applied for a 2 month extension and  was told to come back after paying 6,034 pesos on a non express application. Today I went in to collect my passport and found out I was mistakenly given only 1 month instead of 2 months. I politely explained that it was the error of the immigration and could they change it to a 2 month extension as I asked for . The lady who processed it apologised saying it was her mistake but told me she couldn't change it and to come back in a month and pay for another extension. Being aware that I could be blacklisted for standing my ground I didn't take it any further.

It would be great to hear any opinions here from long term stayers on what they would have done. Just curious as their error cost me about 1500 peso and another 2 trips to immigration.

Is this Cebu? They seem to have different rules...

Headshot
3 hours ago, tokyoman said:

Yes it did show just 500 peso but there was no reference on the receipt of how long the extension was for......thinking back I should've been more aware of the fees..

It looks like you got what you paid for. The miscommunication seems to have been that they didn't understand what you wanted in the first place, which is better than the alternative ... that they understood and charged you for the longer visa while only giving you the shorter visa.

RangerUp
2 hours ago, Province-life said:

I was blacklisted last year for being rude, ended up being the most stressful 2 weeks of my life and had to pay a 35k peso fine

I'd like to hear this story

• Like 1

savarity

What would I have done? ...come back in a month. Fighting city hall, especially here, is not usually worth the time.

Question, did they make you sign a legal release in case your passport was 'lost?' Last time I went to J-Centre they, sort of, threatened me with that when I asked for normal service instead of express. So I went with express.

tokyoman

This happened in Bacolod .....The immigration is not disputing the fact that I wrote and asked for a "2" month extension. Probably one of the nicest government officials I have ran into attitude wise.

5 hours ago, savarity said:

What would I have done? ...come back in a month. Fighting city hall, especially here, is not usually worth the time.

Question, did they make you sign a legal release in case your passport was 'lost?' Last time I went to J-Centre they, sort of, threatened me with that when I asked for normal service instead of express. So I went with express.

nope , don't think so