Woolf

Manual or Automatic Transmission

cookie47

The Ford Focus and i guess others has a "Stop start" feature on the automatics

Turns engine off at traffic lights after a certain time,, and is cancelled by touching the accelerator,engine restarts and off you go. Its said it helps pollution. 

The first Focus i drove i didn't know it was engaged. The first set of traffic lights it activated and stopped engine. 

WTF surely i couldn't have stalled it. Its an Auto.. 

Restarted in conventional way. 

Got back to owner, he explained the feature. I felt a dumb assss. 

Woolf
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Turns engine off at traffic lights after a certain time,, and is cancelled by touching the accelerator,engine restarts and off you go. Its said it helps pollution. 

Not correct

Your vehicle has an available feature that's designed to help reduce fuel consumption and the amount of emissions, it's called Auto Start Stop. Here's how it works. ... And when you take your foot off the brake pedal, your car automatically restarts, without any delay

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

The first Focus i drove i didn't know it was engaged. The first set of traffic lights it activated and stopped engine. 

Rented an F150 last time in the US and it had that.  Certainly threw me off the first time or 2.  There are a few factors for when it happens too.  The engine has to be up to a certain temp, etc.  So it might be a little bit of a drive before it starts happening.  And yes, as Woolf said, it kicks back running when went you come off the brake so it's already going before you get to the gas.  I guess it can save a few fumes of gas each time but I wonder how much you're shortening the starter life.  And then when it's no longer a new vehicle, what kind of problems will arise when the engine gets harder to start.

Another feature that truck had that I liked was a capless gas tank.  Instead of take off a cap, you just shoved the nozzle into a hole in the middle with a hinged metal cover.  Under the seat was a long thin funnel you could use to add gas from a can or siphon if needed.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

cookie47
Not correct
Your vehicle has an available feature that's designed to help reduce fuel consumption and the amount of emissions, it's called Auto Start Stop. Here's how it works. ... And when you take your foot off the brake pedal, your car automatically restarts, without any delay
Not completely wrong,

it depends on the particular car make, yes i did mention a Ford Focus but other systems are available

Copied from Ford America website..

When the car comes to a complete stop, the controller shuts the engine down and — depending on the design of the system and type of transmission — pre-positions the starter motor, transmission and fuel injection system to provide instantaneous engine restart when the driver either depresses the accelerator pedal or releases the brake pedal.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Soupeod
On 3/19/2019 at 10:05 AM, lamoe said:

I agree - I drove stick for years

Didn't say 'tick is inherently slower

I assumed it was evident that since the vehicles here are overwhelming sick shit and slower off the line than I am, it is  because of the drivers not the type of transmission. Same as their habit of not using turn signals etc. , driver not car's fault.

The cycles  know this which is why I was hit and now I know how / why the cycle drivers act the way they do.

Is it because you are driving a slow multicab?

• Like 1

govoner
13 hours ago, cookie47 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cookie47

Thanks,
Have watched John on Aussie Tv for some years.
I'm told he needs a body guard when he goes out..
My good friend I've known in the motor trade for 40 years has got a new Mustang, fortunately its a manual.
What a HOOT to drive...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Have watched John on Aussie Tv for some years.

Reminds me of that weird dude with the short arms at the DMV on the Blacklist.

• Like 1

lamoe
On 4/12/2019 at 3:55 AM, Soupeod said:

Is it because you are driving a slow multicab?

Actually the opposite.

As I've said before, the motors anticipated a car being slow off the line so they will move from left / right to pull ahead - problem  is I was already a 1/4 length ahead of them and of course they always check to see where the car beside them is :ROFLMAO:

I have modified driving and let them do their stupid sh!t then  toot horn to have them move over  so I can pass them

• Like 1
  • Haha 1