Sign in to follow this  
Woolf

Manual or Automatic Transmission

Woolf
14 minutes ago, lamoe said:

I've learned that when I'm first in line at a red light to let them go first - they expect a second or two delay due to stick shift - I have automatic - no delay

Delay due to stick shift ??????????????

there is no delay with stick shift, if it is traffic lights with counter you put in 1st gear when 10 seconds

if no counter you keep an eye on the lights in the other direction or you put in first just before you expect it to change,  there is no delay because of stick shift

do race cars have automatic ?      no!! because stick is faster

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

lamoe
31 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Delay due to stick shift ??????????????

there is no delay with stick shift, if it is traffic lights with counter you put in 1st gear when 10 seconds

if no counter you keep an eye on the lights in the other direction or you put in first just before you expect it to change,  there is no delay because of stick shift

do race cars have automatic ?      no!! because stick is faster

That's you not from what I've seen

They may start to move before or as light changes,  but there is still a noticeable delay for them to get moving compared to me.

For native drivers manual transmissions are not quicker off the line

Haven't been hit at light when I'm in front  since I learned to let the cycles move out first

Race cars are for speed not city traffic.  

Woolf
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, lamoe said:

That's you not from what I've seen

There is no delay starting with a stick shift

if there is a delay it is a driver issue, not manual or auto shift

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

lamoe
5 minutes ago, Woolf said:

There is no delay starting with a stick shift

if there is a delay it is a driver issue, not manual or auto shift

I agree - I drove stick for years

Didn't say 'tick is inherently slower

I assumed it was evident that since the vehicles here are overwhelming sick shit and slower off the line than I am, it is  because of the drivers not the type of transmission. Same as their habit of not using turn signals etc. , driver not car's fault.

The cycles  know this which is why I was hit and now I know how / why the cycle drivers act the way they do.

"I've learned that when I'm first in line at a red light to let them go first - they expect a second or two delay due to stick shift - I have automatic - no delay"

Woolf
2 minutes ago, lamoe said:

I assumed it was evident that since the vehicles here are overwhelming sick shit and slower off the line than I am,

I do not agree that most cars here are stick shift, if you look at all the SUV's  I am pretty sure most of them a automatic

lamoe
1 minute ago, Woolf said:

I do not agree that most cars here are stick shift, if you look at all the SUV's  I am pretty sure most of them a automatic

SUVs -  I agree - and maybe even many of the newer cars

Jeepnys, trucks, older vehicles - not so much - otherwise cycles would have learned to not expect the delay.

Woolf
9 minutes ago, lamoe said:

SUVs -  I agree - and maybe even many of the newer cars

Jeepnys, trucks, older vehicles - not so much - otherwise cycles would have learned to not expect the delay.

Are you still maintaining that stick shift are slower ???

If when signal turn green you have to release the parking brake, put car in drive or first then start, then there will be a delay, but that is a driver issue

could be that the delay is so the bikes are free to go first as they will do anyway

SkyMan
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

For native drivers manual transmissions are not quicker off the line

MT itself is faster but it is more dependent on the operator.

• Like 1

lamoe
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

Are you still maintaining that stick shift are slower ???

If when signal turn green you have to release the parking brake, put car in drive or first then start, then there will be a delay, but that is a driver issue

could be that the delay is so the bikes are free to go first as they will do anyway

NO - stick shift drivers here are.

Same needing to take 1 1/2 lanes to make a right hand turn  and being slow doing it.This I attribute to the cycles turning inside and outside of them or going straight while you turn (watch out for that also now)

I press foot brake then release parking brake in anticipation to moving at 3 minute light -  but didn't shift to N or P.

Never used PB in normal driving until I started driving here. Typical light in Rockford was about 30 sec.

Again different opinions on this practice

https://carfromjapan.com/article/driving-tips/7-things-avoid-driving-automatic-transmission-car/

Keeping In Neutral At The Red Light

Many people do this to save fuel and protect the driveline from unnecessary wear. In fact, the loss is minimal if you push the brakes by keeping the gearbox in Drive mode. The actual damage takes place when you switch into and out of the neutral mode.

Edited by lamoe

Headshot
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

MT itself is faster but it is more dependent on the operator.

That is true, and in the Philippines, Manual drivers are generally slower than automatic drivers. They often don't know how to balance the clutch, brake and gas pedals, and in many cases will roll backward before moving forward. They also have a tendency to apply the parking brake and take the vehicle out of gear in order to release the foot pedals while waiting at intersections. It would be the equivalent of placing an automatic in "park" every time you come to an intersection (which you seldom see). Of course, part of that may be due to the long traffic signal cycles here.

Paddy

I don’t think it’s because the motorcycles expect a delay. It’s more likely because drivers here start slow- probably because they’re not paying attention and the motorbikes are at the front of the queue.

There are no traffic lights in Masbate. Motorcycles will still work their way to the front of any queue (for any reason). They do this (my opinion) because “they can”. Inside / outside / wrong side / weaving between stopped vehicles. Whether they should is another matter. 

The tricycles do it too - and a few SUVs and pickup trucks also!

AT or MT it makes no difference. There will be 73 motorcycles between you and a clear road after queuing. You can’t start fast even if you want to 😁

• Like 1

lamoe

37 minutes ago, Headshot said:

They often don't know how to balance the clutch, brake and gas pedals, and in many cases will roll backward before moving forward.

The inside parking entrance ramps at SM are a lot of fun

When we first drove to go shopping there - being in the front was a new experience for her

'Why you leave so much room?'

Watch

'Ayieeee, he's going to hit us'

Was far enough back - barely 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

liquido

I think most of the guys in this forum come from the drag racing days on the local streets when you had to be the first one off the light..Drag racing here is not in the native vocabulary ..

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

They also have a tendency to apply the parking brake and take the vehicle out of gear in order to release the foot pedals while waiting at intersections.

At long lights or stuck in traffic I put it in neutral and release the clutch but hold the brake pedal.  Saves wear on the throwout bearing.  Doesn't take a second go to 1st to go though.  There are some sections of downhill like coming down to the Canduman intersection where just releasing the brake is enough.

36 minutes ago, lamoe said:

The inside parking entrance ramps at SM are a lot of fun

When we first drove to go shopping there - being in the front was a new experience for her

'Why you leave so much room?'

Watch

'Ayieeee, he's going to hit us'

Was far enough back - barely 

The ramp out of our Gaisano parking is quite steep.  I just wait at the bottom until there is room at the top to at least hook my front tires up to the flat area.  Scooters go by me but they do that anyway.  In the US anyway, the car in back is always at fault unless the front vehicle is in powered reverse or rolling back an unreasonable amount.

25 minutes ago, liquido said:

I think most of the guys in this forum come from the drag racing days on the local streets when you had to be the first one off the light..Drag racing here is not in the native vocabulary ..

Used to be the scooters hear would have a little drag race when the light changed but now they putz along like old ladies.  I don't care if you want to get in front but if you aren't going to go then stay out of the way.

lamoe
56 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The ramp out of our Gaisano parking is quite steep.  I just wait at the bottom until there is room at the top to at least hook my front tires up to the flat area.  Scooters go by me but they do that anyway.  In the US anyway, the car in back is always at fault unless the front vehicle is in powered reverse or rolling back an unreasonable amount.

Used to be the scooters hear would have a little drag race when the light changed but now they putz along like old ladies.  I don't care if you want to get in front but if you aren't going to go then stay out of the way.

The only time I can feed my need for speed here (simulated :db:) is going up and down the SM ramps. Even in outside lane usually faster than cycles, definitely faster than SUVs

Yep they get that '1 car / cycle ahead at any cost' then do 20 Kph'    except at around midnight