RedRanger

What are the rules/Law for riding a motorbike in Philippines?

lamoe
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

So following the road rules is going to lead to loss of face and anger?

Am I missing something here?

Yes   - They don't - motorcycles are the worst

Use your horn while slamming on brakes because they pay no fecking attention when cutting in front of cars and they get mad.

Example -  passing on left side of a  jeepny stopped in front of Burger King - cycle exits Vibo Place or maybe just used Burger King entrance ramp to pass on right - cuts into left lane as soon as past jeepny - use horn to get his attention cause he sure as sh!t couldn't see that you were about to run over the AH - he cuts back to right lane and gives you a dirty look.

Same when you're crossing street with light - they're make a left / right hand turn onto the street after you're in middle of lane - they have to go around cause you don't jump out of their way.

In both cases - they know what they did wrong but being called on it causes loss of face and that makes them angry.

Edited by lamoe

Jack Rat
34 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Yes   - They don't - motorcycles are the worst

Use your horn while slamming on brakes because they pay no fecking attention when cutting in front of cars and they get mad.

Example -  passing on left side of a  jeepny stopped in front of Burger King - cycle exits Vibo Place or maybe just used Burger King entrance ramp to pass on right - cuts into left lane as soon as past jeepny - use horn to get his attention cause he sure as sh!t couldn't see that you were about to run over the AH - he cuts back to right lane and gives you a dirty look.

Same when you're crossing street with light - they're make a left / right hand turn onto the street after you're in middle of lane - they have to go around cause you don't jump out of their way.

In both cases - they know what they did wrong but being called on it causes loss of face and that makes them angry.

We drive on the 'right" side of the road in Aussie but it didn't take me long to adapt to driving on the' wrong' side of the road, roughly 5 minutes! It took took me much longer to get my head around the number complete idiots that frequent the roads here. The slow driver stradling the double lane white lines, two lanes suddenly becomes three lanes and you are stuck in the middle, vehicle coming towards you in your lane in heavy traffic, expecting you to move over, I could go on.....

I have learnt over the years the best policy seems to be try to 'go with the flow'. These days, if I happen to be confronted by a complete idiot, a few toots and the odd cuss now and again seems to get results. Taxi and Jeepney drivers are by far the worst offenders. Seemingly there are road rules but many simply don't abide by them. It makes me wonder what percentage of drivers actually know the road rules at all, but unfortunately, I am sure of one thing, Filipinos ain't going to change their bad driving habits for a few grumpy old foreigners. 

• Like 5

Jawny

I have said this before, so I apologize for the repeat....but the one thing I have learned that is always true regarding rules of the road......"The one in front wins!"

Best part of this game is the way it repeats.  

Watch as as a fellow game player passes me.......he WON!  

Of course, he immediately encounters the slow moving traffic that had been in front of me, and now is in front of him.   GAME ON!  

lamoe
10 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

We drive on the 'right" side of the road in Aussie but it didn't take me long to adapt to driving on the' wrong' side of the road, roughly 5 minutes! It took took me much longer to get my head around the number complete idiots that frequent the roads here. The slow driver stradling the double lane white lines, two lanes suddenly becomes three lanes and you are stuck in the middle, vehicle coming towards you in your lane in heavy traffic, expecting you to move over, I could go on.....

I have learnt over the years the best policy seems to be try to 'go with the flow'. These days, if I happen to be confronted by a complete idiot, a few toots and the odd cuss now and again seems to get results. Taxi and Jeepney drivers are by far the worst offenders. Seemingly there are road rules but many simply don't abide by them. It makes me wonder what percentage of drivers actually know the road rules at all, but unfortunately, I am sure of one thing, Filipinos ain't going to change their bad driving habits for a few grumpy old foreigners. 

3 minutes ago, Jawny said:

I have said this before, so I apologize for the repeat....but the one thing I have learned that is always true regarding rules of the road......"The one in front wins!"

Best part of this game is the way it repeats.  

Watch as as a fellow game player passes me.......he WON!  

Of course, he immediately encounters the slow moving traffic that had been in front of me, and now is in front of him.   GAME ON!  

I believe it's the cultural thing of  'face'

Able to enforce your will - get one car ahead, one place in line ahead, push onto elevator before letting anyone off? Do it and you win.

Best example is 10 am Ayala Mall - pushing to get in then shift into 'turtle speed mode' as soon as past the guard

I have noticed in the last year  that more Filipinos are using the long toot because the short one is ignored.

• Like 1

Headshot

At dinner last night, I was told by a Filipina friend (who now lives in Dallas) that Texas drivers are worse drivers than Filipino drivers in the Cebu metro area. I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. She explained that in Texas, drivers seem to have a need for speed, and therefore they are much more dangerous. I explained to her that there is no way for drivers in the Cebu metro area to ever drive fast because there are too many vehicles for the roads available. However, if drivers here could drive faster, they certainly would. She said that hardly a day goes by when she doesn't see cars that have had accidents in the Dallas area. I suppose that when she lived in the Cebu metro area, she just wasn't driving, so she didn't notice all of the accidents here. But it was interesting to hear a different perspective. She was used to the slow traffic in the Cebu metro area, so that was her "normal" state of affairs. The faster speeds of Texas scared her, whereas the congested traffic, unskilled drivers (did they get their licenses from Cracker Jacks boxes?) and slow speeds often frustrate Westerners who come here.

• Like 1

Dafey
39 minutes ago, Headshot said:

there is no way for drivers in the Cebu metro area to ever drive fast because there are too many vehicles for the roads available. However, if drivers here could drive faster, they certainly would.

True...come to the province!

• Like 2

Headshot
1 hour ago, Dafey said:

True...come to the province!

Yeah, but she is from Cebu City.

lamoe
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

At dinner last night, I was told by a Filipina friend (who now lives in Dallas) that Texas drivers are worse drivers than Filipino drivers in the Cebu metro area. I almost fell out of my chair I was laughing so hard. She explained that in Texas, drivers seem to have a need for speed, and therefore they are much more dangerous. I explained to her that there is no way for drivers in the Cebu metro area to ever drive fast because there are too many vehicles for the roads available. However, if drivers here could drive faster, they certainly would. She said that hardly a day goes by when she doesn't see cars that have had accidents in the Dallas area. I suppose that when she lived in the Cebu metro area, she just wasn't driving, so she didn't notice all of the accidents here. But it was interesting to hear a different perspective. She was used to the slow traffic in the Cebu metro area, so that was her "normal" state of affairs. The faster speeds of Texas scared her, whereas the congested traffic, unskilled drivers (did they get their licenses from Cracker Jacks boxes?) and slow speeds often frustrate Westerners who come here.

She's correct - driving is much more dangerous there than here - same as running into a wall vs walking into it.

Speed is the difference as far as severity of accidents - there are many many more here than in Rockford (there main road 75 Kph, side streets 50, circle around - not highway  - 100 Kph) but here they're more like two bicycles hitting each other - scrapes, taps, nudges that never get reported

With the occasional major injury - motorcycles / bike  vs SUV - and those occur because their reaction time is so fecking slow when traffic does open up

The CSCR is a nightmare on a Sunday afternoon  - some doing 30, some 40, others 60 to 80 - still with the same slow assed maneuvers

They get accustomed to 20 Kph and then the road is clear - speed up to 40 + Kph - stopping distance is now 4 times what  it was before and impact force is also 4 times - but the AHs still cut in traffic as before  expecting others will be able to slow / stop to accomidate them.

When in Bohol 70 Kph (42 Mph - slower than Rockford traffic) seems fast - very narrow streets don't help

Headshot
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Speed is the difference as far as severity of accidents - there are many many more here than in Rockford (there main road 75 Kph, side streets 50, circle around - not highway  - 100 Kph) but here they're more like two bicycles hitting each other - scrapes, taps, nudges that never get reported

That is a little misleading. I think the majority of traffic fatalities in the Cebu metro area are motorbike riders and slowbies (pedestrians and bicycle riders) who get run over by larger vehicles. I have seen numerous fatel accidents here, and I have seen two accidents where motorbikes (with two people on each) got t-boned by Ceres buses. In one case, the motorbike drivers skull broke open and his brain was laying on the street several feet away from his body. In both cases, the motorbikes and their riders were imprinted on the front of the buses (so you know the buses weren't exactly standing still when they struck the motorbikes). Generally speaking, pedestrians and riders almost always lose these contests. The amount of energy expended in an accident is equivalent to the mass of the impacter times the velocity of the impacter squared. So, either high velocity or high mass can result in a fatality.

lamoe
50 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That is a little misleading. I think the majority of traffic fatalities in the Cebu metro area are motorbike riders and slowbies (pedestrians and bicycle riders) who get run over by larger vehicles. I have seen numerous fatel accidents here, and I have seen two accidents where motorbikes (with two people on each) got t-boned by Ceres buses. In one case, the motorbike drivers skull broke open and his brain was laying on the street several feet away from his body. In both cases, the motorbikes and their riders were imprinted on the front of the buses (so you know the buses weren't exactly standing still when they struck the motorbikes). Generally speaking, pedestrians and riders almost always lose these contests. The amount of energy expended in an accident is equivalent to the mass of the impacter times the velocity of the impacter squared. So, either high velocity or high mass can result in a fatality.

I agree the number of fatal ones are due to one or both drivers not giving a sh!t when they drive - even more so when there are pedestrians involved 

No denying there are fatal accidents but given the extreamly slow typ speed they represent a very small fraction of what could technically be called a traffic accident - one vehicle touching another that in the states would have resulted in substantial damage - here just a scratch

Dashcams (I have two mounted) do resolve the Kano at fault issue - especially when you're not even moving

• Like 2

Dafey

Let's get back to the topic, please Gentlemen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

if drivers here could drive faster, they certainly would

A few, yes. But that's not my experience with most. On Sundays and holidays when there is bit of open road, most vehicles go no faster they would in a traffic jam. Because most drivers here learned by (well who knows really but it didn't involve real instruction) they are happy to just follow along the bumper in front of them.  But when there's no bumper in front of them they get scared and just do what they've always done which is go slow. 

As for motorbikes, it really seems like there is a bipolar conflict in the lawmakers here with some laws being pushed to protect riders and others being pushed to deter assassins.  None of which affect the assassins but reduce protection for the riders. 

• Like 2

lamoe

The OP question was answered in the first few replies - Laws? yes there are  and no they're not followed or uniformly enforced but that's simplimatic of the entire culture when it comes to any civil law - be it road, sidewalk, building codes, etc.

Look on Youtube for 'MMBA clearing the roads' - there's a whole series - after awhile it gets to be  "that's one I haven't seen before'

Dafey
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

The OP question was answered in the first few replies - Laws?

Excellant! we'll close this thread and if you'd like to chat about "driving in Cebu City" feel free to start a new one. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1