RedRanger

What are the rules/Law for riding a motorbike in Philippines?

RedRanger

Do they vary by area? 

I was in Philippines back in October and went to Davao City and was told it was needed to now wear a : Helmet, No Open toe shoes, and no shorts were allowed in Davao.  I tried this for about and day and got too hot, so I went back to shorts, Flip Flop and a helmet and never had any issues..

Went to El Nido and Coron and rode motorbikes around with short/flops/no helmets and never had an issue.

Went from Davao City to General Santos and spent a few days in Gensan and only wore helmet/shorts/Flip flops and never had an issue.

Headed back next month for a month stay and just wondering are laws / rules applied differently in each area? 

Dafey

I believe the laws are the same all over the nation but in many areas they are not enforced.

Helmet is mandatory as are shoes, no sandals. There is a proposed law that you must wear pants but I don't think it has yet passed.

• Like 2

HTM
10 minutes ago, Dafey said:

There is a proposed law that you must wear pants but I don't think it has yet passed.

Some have as a city ordinance

• Like 1

lamoe

:ROFLMAO:

https://www.motopinas.com/motorcycle-feature/lane-splitting-is-actually-illegal-in-the-philippines.html

1. Motorcycle riders and passengers need to wear protective helmets.

2. Number plates need to be visible.

3. Licenses should always be carried.

4. Only one back rider is allowed on a bike.

5. Cargo can only be carried in saddle bags or approved luggage carriers. This was recently reinforced with a new ruling.

6. Headlights should always be switched on at any time of day. Their color and intensity has also recently been clarified.

Funnily enough according to the same code under Section IX "Miscellaneous Traffic Rules" , lane-splitting (otherwise known as lane sharing or traffic filtering) is actually illegal in the Philippines. Some may be surprised, but other inferences are probably nothing new. We ourselves, our lawmakes, and traffic enforcers must either be unaware or just plain resigned — because almost every single rider in the Philippines weaves between cars and doesn't get stopped for the behavior.

• Like 1

HTM
52 minutes ago, lamoe said:

because almost every single rider in the Philippines weaves between cars and doesn't get stopped for the behavior. 

And the cars do the same.

• Like 4

to_dave007
Posted (edited)

Sign at entry to Tuburan says helmets OFF in town.  But those WITH helmets leave them on, and those without helmets remain in the majority.  Never seen even one helmeted rider stop and obey the sign, in 5+ years.

But my understanding is that SOME municipalities are MUCH more strict about the rules...  so drivers need to beware.  Not surprised to hear that Davao is strict.  I think San Carlos in Negros is more strict than others.  As for helmets or more than 2 riders and likely other laws..  I think Cebu City and Mandaue enforce those laws.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

lamoe
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Sign at entry to Tuburan says helmets OFF in town.  But those WITH helmets leave them on, and those without helmets remain in the majority.  Never seen even one helmeted rider stop and obey the sign, in 5+ years.

But my understanding is that SOME municipalities are MUCH more strict about the rules...  so drivers need to beware.  Not surprised to hear that Davao is strict.  I think San Carlos in Negros is more strict than others.  As for helmets or more than 2 riders and likely other laws..  I think Cebu City and Mandaue enforce those laws.

More than 2 riders is routinely ignored there - mamma, poppa, and a kid or 2

bkb1

The unwritten rule seems to be, blow your horn a few times, then do whatever the hell you want...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Woolf

2 beeps = warning, I am passing, I go first request

1 beep = tank you or I seen you, you can go

• Like 1

Jawny
12 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

The unwritten rule seems to be, blow your horn a few times, then do whatever the hell you want...

This is also quite practical.  Using the horn, as opposed to braking, saves on maintenance.  Cheaper to get a new horn than new brakes.

There is no rule that applies to use of the horn, nor the blinking lights.  The driver that blinks first, goes first.  The one in front wins!

• Like 1

Dafey
6 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Sign at entry to Tuburan says helmets OFF in town. 

I think a couple of years ago Mandaue issued an ordinance that MC riders must leave their shied up and not wear masks while traversing the city. I believe it was in response to criminal activity...but I may be wrong :unsure:

Woolf

16 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I think a couple of years ago Mandaue issued an ordinance that MC riders must leave their shied up and not wear masks while traversing the city. I believe it was in response to criminal activity...but I may be wrong

in the news

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/165695/wearing-bonnets-masks-motorcycle-riders-illegal-mandaue-city?utm_expid=.XqNwTug2W6nwDVUSgFJXed.1

https://www.philstar.com/the-freeman/cebu-news/2018/03/13/1796280/81-riders-owe-mandaue-city-p5t-each-wearing-bonnets

• Like 2

lamoe
37 minutes ago, bkb1 said:

First thing I learned was the drivers - whatever type of vehicle - don't ask to move in - cause nobody would let them.

It's I'm coming in NOW

Got hit again last night - very slight smudge (rubbing compound will fix it)

Heavy traffic - left lane - car in front moves / I move - cycle in between lanes, but not at front of cars - he sees car ahead move - moves over - rubs right door - I get a dirty look because he didn't bother to see if I was moving also.

I've learned that when I'm first in line at a red light to let them go first - they expect a second or two delay due to stick shift - I have automatic - no delay

Talked with another automatic  owner here - lived in states for years - said he had  same problem when he came back

• Like 1

RedRanger

I learned a new trick in Davao City if you get pulled over by traffic enforcers, which they call them crocodiles in Davao city.

Tell the person that you are sorry, I didn't know your rules in the Philippines, I am new to the area and you have such a lovely city, and ask for forgivness, and then put 300 pesos in his hand and this is suppose to keep them from writing you a ticket.

So far I have not been pulled over for any traffic issue or violations anywhere in the Philippines while on my motorbike. 

Soupeod
5 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I learned a new trick in Davao City if you get pulled over by traffic enforcers, which they call them crocodiles in Davao city.

Tell the person that you are sorry, I didn't know your rules in the Philippines, I am new to the area and you have such a lovely city, and ask for forgivness, and then put 300 pesos in his hand and this is suppose to keep them from writing you a ticket.

So far I have not been pulled over for any traffic issue or violations anywhere in the Philippines while on my motorbike. 

So.. you want to give westerners a bad name by lying?

Just tell the truth and suck it up.