Sign in to follow this  
jimmyzr1

A good mild tasting, smelling fish?

jimmyzr1

Does anyone know of a good mild tasting and smelling fish available in the Cebu area? I’m not a big fish eater but would like to start eating it more often. We’re getting ready to move to the Cebu area, maybe on Mactan island, Lapu-Lapu. Every fish I’ve smelled or tried to taste here in the Malolos, bulacan area has been too fishy tasting for my liking, so as of now I don’t eat fish in the Philippines. 

About 8 or 9 years ago, I was visiting my now, ex-wife in Sindangan and they had a very mild and good tasting fish that my ex’s family used to grill for me that was caught daily there. I used to love eating it when I visited there. My ex just called it the big one. I don’t really recall how big it was though and she never told me the name of it, but I would like to start eating fish again but will only if it’s not smelly or fishy tasting. Thanks guys for your advice.

• Like 1

captainpete

lapu lapu is a nice tasting fish not to fishy if fresh jim

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, captainpete said:

lapu lapu is a nice tasting fish not to fishy if fresh jim

I think Lapux2 is Grouper?  I've had a good one that was called Mamsa that might be your "big one."  It tastes good and has a large spine bone attached to the rest which come out easily and no small ones.  Bangus is pretty good too.

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/71037-philippine-fish-species-list-of-common-fish-in-the-philippines/

Edited by SkyMan

captainpete
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I think Lapux2 is Grouper?  I've had a good one that was called Mamsa that might be your "big one."  It tastes good and has a large spine bone attached to the rest which come out easily and no small ones.  Bangus is pretty good too.

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/71037-philippine-fish-species-list-of-common-fish-in-the-philippines/

it has a nice firm white flesh and easy to eat

Davaoeno

I always go with the maya maya    [ red snapper ! ]

There are several kinds of lapu lapu [ at least 3 colors] and according to my wife the vendors play pretty free and easy with the variety they say they are selling to you 

• Like 1

jimmyzr1

Thanks guys, hopefully one of these I will like. How is the best way to cook them, grilled, steamed, or fried. I know I had grilled before and liked it. My current girlfriend fried tilapia and it smelled and tasted way too fishy for me. I have not tried fish since.

Dafey

If you're cooking your own, filet it and marinate in milk. This will take a good portion of the 'fishy' taste out.