Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Survey says Filipino food among least popular cuisines in the world

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, battleborn said:

I enjoy the food here, but I still don't understand their use of green tomatoes. 

fried-green-tomatoes-graphic.jpg

battleborn

Never had a fried green tomato here.  Had to take them out of a few dishes though

liquido

This northern boy had them fried Green tomaters in Alabama and found them quite good...

• Like 2

Cebuandrew

I don't mind many local dishes here, but before I moved here, was living in Portland, Oregon for several years, where we had entire city blocks of food trucks serving dishes from all over the world. Never once saw a Filipino food truck. I think that spoke for itself.

• Like 1

battleborn

No Filipinos in Portland?

Dafey
8 hours ago, battleborn said:

I enjoy the food here, but I still don't understand their use of green tomatoes. 

I think it's a matter of 'if we don't pick them now the bugs will get them'

• Like 2

Davaoeno
On 3/16/2019 at 4:54 AM, battleborn said:

Apparently there are 3 .   

• Like 1

Cebuandrew
On 3/16/2019 at 4:54 AM, battleborn said:

Yeah, there are many there working in healthcare and as caregivers. My VA doctor there was a Filipina. I'd say many more than Thais, yet several Thai food trucks there. Guess the people like Thai food better there.

• Like 1

Headshot
Posted (edited)

I think for many people, nothing really sets Filipino food apart from other cuisines. It is a hodgepodge of other cuisines (Chinese, Spanish, Malay and Indian) that have been mixed together, just like the people themselves are a mixture of other ethnic groups and cultures. People tend to like distinct cuisines better than cuisines that are mixed. One thing that I have also noticed is that many people get their first taste of Filipino food from people who may not be really creative in their cooking styles (GF's Mom, aunts or sisters doing the cooking).

A lot of time and effort has gone into making Filipino food last a long time without refrigeration (because refrigeration hasn't been available to many until very recently, so acidic sauces, overcooking and drying have been used a lot in food preparation here. But, for many dishes, not a lot of effort hasn't gone into making them distinctive. If you go o a good restaurant (like The Lighthouse), you can taste Filipino dishes that would be very rare in a normal Filipino home. It could make a difference in how Filipino food is perceived.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

oztony
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

If you go o a good restaurant (like The Lighthouse), you can taste Filipino dishes that would be very rare in a normal Filipino home. It could make a difference in how Filipino food is perceived.

Really enjoyed the food there 15 years ago , they had the blind musicians playing then , but went there 2 years ago and that was the clincher for no thanks , not again....

SkyMan
On 3/16/2019 at 5:02 PM, RangerUp said:

'if we don't pick them now, we can't sell them now'.

If we don't sell them now someone else will sell theirs first.

lamoe
4 hours ago, Headshot said:

One thing that I have also noticed is that many people get their first taste of Filipino food from people who may not be really creative in their cooking styles (GF's Mom, aunts or sisters doing the cooking).

A lot of time and effort has gone into making Filipino food last a long time without refrigeration (because refrigeration hasn't been available to many until very recently, so acidic sauces, overcooking and drying have been used a lot in food preparation here. But, for many dishes, not a lot of effort hasn't gone into making them distinctive.

Also having controllable heat as opposed to open flame for consistency

She loves my spices and experiments - goes online - downloads recipes and tries them.

One of the contentions we have is that I never use microwave on 10 while she would put something in on high all the time.

Taught her about double deep frying French Fries, Chicken, Squid, etc.