Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Survey says Filipino food among least popular cuisines in the world

liquido

I guess no argument there...

MANILA – Filipino food is among the least popular cuisines in the world, according to the results of an international survey recently released online.

The YouGov study, which is based on 25,000 respondents from 24 countries, showed Filipino cuisine tied with Saudi Arabian food with an average popularity of 36 points – trailing ahead of only Finnish and Peruvian cuisine at 32 points each.

Lechon, kare-kare, crispy pata in 2019 list of world’s best dishes

Unsurprisingly, Filipinos showed the highest preference for their own cuisine at 97%. 

The Japanese, on the other hand, had the lowest opinion for Filipino cuisine at 21 points. YouGov noted, however, that Japan was the harshest critic of any nation in the survey, with 23 cuisines scoring less than 50% among respondents.

Italian cuisine emerged as the most popular cuisine in the world with an average score of 84 points, followed by Chinese (78), Japanese (71), and Thai and French food (both 70).

https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/03/14/19/survey-says-filipino-food-among-least-popular-cuisines-in-the-world

• Like 5

lamoe

Wonder how many have actually tried authentic Filipino food, not Jollibee, etc.? Same with Mexican food - Taco Bell or my SIL's mother's cooking?

Having said that, I'm not a big fan of Tata's mother's cooking -  bland, overcooked - but that's due to lack of experience with spices, seasonings, etc., poor quality meat and controllable heat.

I brought back a lot of spices and we have whatever cooking appliance she feels she needs. Also purchased ones for Bohol (no one there will use them - although they rave about the taste when she does). This I understand - wood cheaper than electricity / gas.

Have been told her cooking is some of the best - better than restaurants - she makes mainly Filipino dishes but adds spices.  Most we can replenish here (Metro / Rustans) - some only get in  US (Riley's Cajun).

She's even come to like my green Habenero Sauce - brown still too hot. :tongue_01:

Salty Dog

Each to their own likes when it comes to food.

I've found foods I love, and foods I wasn't too fond of from the same country.

A large part of what people tend to like is often based on what they grew up with and/or are used to.

In my case, my wife generally likes to cook Filipino inspired foods, but with an American twist. A big reason for this is the availability or non-availability of certain ingredients.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

lamoe

Exactly

Fresh Mozzarella Cheese from Valli - Vidalia onions from Georgia  - Roma Tomato for Caprese Salad

Can get those generic ingredients here  - not cheap or taste as good.

Made some once - she loved it  - until she saw what I paid at Rustan's :shocked:

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Vidalia onions from Georgia 

Where did you find Vidalia onions?

lamoe
2 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Where did you find Vidalia onions?

"Can get those generic ingredients here"

Cheese at Rustan's -  onions / tomatoes  were the ones grown here

RangerUp
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

Wonder how many have actually tried authentic Filipino food

I think the issue they had is it isn't really 'authentic', it's basically a bland blend of Chinese and Spanish cuisine. It's safe and kinda boring, but not terrible like some of the others on that list.

lamoe
2 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

I think the issue they had is it isn't really 'authentic', it's basically a bland blend of Chinese and Spanish cuisine. It's safe and kinda boring, but not terrible like some of the others on that list.

Agree - not authentic - just as there is no Spaghetti Bolognese in Italy :shocked:

HTM
5 hours ago, lamoe said:

Agree - not authentic - just as there is no Spaghetti Bolognese in Italy :shocked:

Yes there its Ragù alla bolognese, but its the same

• Thanks 1

samatm

Filipino food is I think really amazing and very delicious.. its is poorly marketed though.. and misunderstood. 

It certainly  doesn't deserve to be ranked so poorly.      

rep1

I couldn't tell Filipino food from Chinese food, aside from the occasional use of sea weeds.

Abodo*: home braised pork/chicken in Taiwan (from Fujian I suppose)

Lechon: Guandong crispy pork

Kare Kare is unique but still feels like southern Chinese food

Some of the desserts are clearly from Fujian. I had those when I was a kid but they're now lost.

But of course you could say Chinese Fujian cuisine is not popular. There are barely any restaurant serving them; only cooked at home.

• Like 2

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, liquido said:

Italian cuisine emerged as the most popular cuisine in the world with an average score of 84 points

I saw an article on fb about a JB opening in Milan and a line Filipinos around the block. One of the replies was that now JB could show Italians what spaghetti should taste like. I think he was serious too. :sick::sick::sick::bad:

Edited by SkyMan
  • Haha 1

Jester
Posted (edited)

Not sure what real Philippino food is? I eat at the inlaws house when there, so assume that is Philippino food.  They do not have any exposure to international foods and avoid anything I cook.   Took them a couple pizza one time and it languished in the fridge. 

Here is Florida on occasion a Phillipino restaurant will open, the bulk of them do not last.  The Jolly-Bee in Jacksonville is doing a booming business, although I do not see it as "real" Philippino food.

Edited by Jester

liquido
5 hours ago, Jester said:

The Jolly-Bee in Jacksonville is doing a booming business,

Must be all Filipino or first time and last time tryers...Cannot imagine that they can compete with soooo many other chains that are light years better..

• Thanks 1

Jester

Jacksonville has a large Filipino population and supports a few restaurants. 

Any Filipino within a thousand miles of Jacksonville has to make the pilgrimage there at least once, plus it is on the north and south tourist route so has that going for it. 

Very few longnose in there, mostly guys with Filipinas.