Woolf

New law requires 'bigger, color-coded' number plates for motorcycles

Woolf

SunStar

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1796841/Manila/Local-News/Duterte-signs-law-mandating-bigger-readable-color-coded-number-plates-for-motorcycles

New law requires 'bigger, color-coded' number plates for motorcycles

RUTH ABBEY GITA

March 14, 2019

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte has signed into law a measure requiring "bigger, readable, and color-coded" number plates for motorcycles, in a bid to prevent the commission of crimes using the said vehicles.

Duterte signed Republic Act (RA) 11235, mandating the Land Transportation Office (LTO) to determine the font style and size of the bigger, readable and color-coded number plates for motorcycles. 

"The contents of the number plates shall be readable from the front, the back, and the side of the motorcycle from a distance of at least 15 meters from the motorcycle," the law, otherwise known as the Motorcycle Prevention Act, read.

"The LTO shall also devise a color scheme of the readable number plates for every region in the Philippines where a motorcycle is registered for quick and easy identification," it added.

The law states that the readable number plates must be displayed in "both the front and back sides of a motorcycle" and should be made of "suitable and durable material" determined by the LTO.

The owner of a motorcycle is mandated to register his vehicle with the LTO within five days from acquisition of ownership. He is also mandated to immediately report any sale or disposition of motorcycle to the LTO.

Driving without a number plate is prohibited, thus the drivers shall be punished by prision correccional or a fine of up to P100,000, the law provides.

"A motorcycle driven without a number plate or a readable number plate shall be stopped, and such motorcycle shall be seized by law enforcers and immediately surrendered to the Philippine National Police (PNP)," RA 11235 said.

"The owner of such motorcycle may redeem his or her seized motorcycle from the LTO upon proof of ownership, payment for the costs of seizure, and compliance with a number plate or readable number plate," it added.

The owner who participated in the commission of a crime using motorcycle constituting a grave felony under the Revised Penal Code will be punished by reclusion temporal to reclusion perpetua.

If the number plate is lost, damaged, or stolen, the motorcycle owner should immediately report to the LTO and the PNP and request a replacement. Failure to report will subject the owner to a fine of up to P50,000.

A person guilty of erasing, tampering, altering, forging, imitating, covering, or concealing a number plate will have to pay a fine of up to P100,000.

Meantime, a fine of up to P100,000 will also be slapped against anyone who uses a stolen number plate.

The law also creates a congressional oversight committee that will review and assess the implementation of Motorcycle Crime Prevention Act.

The oversight panel will be composed of five members each from the Senate and the House of Representatives. It will be co-chaired by chairpersons of Senate justice committee and House transportation committee.

An initial funding of P150 million for the implementation of RA 11235 will be sourced from the General Appropriations Act.

Duterte signed RA 11235 on March 8, but Palace released a copy of the newly-signed law just on Thursday, March 14. (SunStar Philippines)

• Sad 3

sierra01

It might work, providing the LTO issues them, ive only been waiting 2 years for mine.

• Like 2

SkyMan

It's like they're having a brainstorming session only in a real brainstorming session you write everything down people come up with and then later you cross off the stupid ones but here they don't cross anything off.  They just say, yeah, that'd be cool, let's do that.

• Haha 3

Davaoeno
13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

It's like they're having a brainstorming session only in a real brainstorming session you write everything down people come up with and then later you cross off the stupid ones but here they don't cross anything off.  They just say, yeah, that'd be cool, let's do that.

I would like to say that you are ridiculous saying that - but I cant !! hehe

• Like 1

SkyMan
10 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I would like to say that you are ridiculous saying that - but I cant !! hehe

Well come on.  They can't get 1 license plate to new bikes for years and so they make a requirement that all bikes need 4 plates?

lamoe
13 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Well come on.  They can't get 1 license plate to new bikes for years and so they make a requirement that all bikes need 4 plates?

"both the front and back sides"

They should have left 'sides' out or added another 'and'. :tongue_01:

Edited by lamoe

Headshot
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

"both the front and back sides"

They should have left 'sides' out or added another 'and'. :tongue_01:

What they did say was...

The contents of the number plates shall be readable from the front, the back, and the side of the motorcycle from a distance of at least 15 meters from the motorcycle.

I don't know how you make plates readable from the sides without putting plates on the sides of the motorcycle. It's just another ridiculous law.

Edited by Headshot

Davaoeno

You can read the back plate from every point at the side of the bike÷ as long as you are further back than the bike is. 

It depends on the specific definition of "side"

Edited by Davaoeno

HTM

We going to c this na?

53794504_1109152019271485_2046152780938215424_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dafey
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I don't know how you make plates readable from the sides without putting plates on the sides of the motorcycle.

This is likely what they envision...

image.png.3684356c5601b835e66a549b18fddf99.png

image.png.dd5ca025263e7ebf81b2b23c09b342eb.png

• Like 2

SkyMan
37 minutes ago, HTM said:

We going to c this na?

53794504_1109152019271485_2046152780938215424_n.jpg

10 minutes ago, Dafey said:

All of the above.

• Like 1

sierra01
57 minutes ago, Dafey said:

This is likely what they envision...

image.png.dd5ca025263e7ebf81b2b23c09b342eb.png

Oh yes, the famous testicle removal plate.  Definitely a step forward.

• Haha 1

Kreole
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

What they did say was...

I don't know how you make plates readable from the sides without putting plates on the sides of the motorcycle. It's just another ridiculous law.

Pathetic law.  I wonder how they are going to enforce it, especially if they can't even provide the current license plates?  I have been waiting for 7 years now and have never received my plates even though I paid for them.  I imagine I have nothing to worry about considering how timely and efficient is their bureaucracy.  They didn't even have the stickers for mc registration in 2017.  What next?

• Like 1

shadow

"But wait, there's more!"

By now, you should have already heard about the news that the “Doble Plaka” bill, which was heavily based on the Senate Bill 1397 authored by Sen. Richard 'Dick' Gordon and Sen. Vicente 'Tito' Sotto III, was approved and signed into law by President Rodrigo Duterte last March 8 and was released to the public yesterday. But wait, there's more!

image.png.344ada891c156c462828339e4156753d.png

Under the new law, Republic Act 11235 or the Motorcycle Crime Prevention Act, Section 19 stipulates that “Motorcycle owners with number plates not in conformity with the provisions of this Act, shall renew their registration and apply for the required readable number plate not later than June 30, 2019.” and it further states that “The LTO is given until December 31, 2019 to produce, release and issue the number plates required by this act. After December 31, 2019, the penal provisions regarding the use of bigger, readable and color-coded number plates as required under this act shall take effect” - which translates to up to PhP100,000 in penalty including jail time.

image.png.43d67c793a960450c25710753cb5e4d2.png

Another provision in RA 11235 that raised eyebrows is Section 14. It states that “No person, whether natural or juridical, shall be allowed to sell motorcycles, as defined under Section 3 of this Act” and it further states that “The Bureau of Customs (BOC) shall not allow the importation into the country of motorcycles, whose design will impede the placement of the required number plate on the front and back sides of the motorcycles firmly and securely” and “Any motorcycle which does not have any capability to bear and showcase the required readable plate shall not be allowed to be registered with the LTO.” As we all know, ALL motorcycles here in the country, old and new, big and small are just not designed to handle a front-mounted plate number due to technical and safety concerns, raising a lot of questions from the motorcycle manufacturers and its dealers.

Assuming that the LTO which is tasked to create the Implementing Rules and Regulations or IRR would take two weeks to formulate their directives, motorcycle riders would then have less than two months or even less, to renew registration of their already registered motorcycles in compliance with this new law. It is another time-consuming effort and financial burden for the millions of motorcycle riders here in the Philippines. Motorcycle groups of big and small bikes had since raised the question: "why are we being penalized for something that we - motorcycle riders, have nothing to do with?" - referring to the government's incompetence in solving crimes perpetrated by criminals using motorcycles.

https://www.motopinas.com/motorcycle-news/doble-plaka-law-deadline-june-30-2019-to-renew-registration.html?fbclid=IwAR0X6xrswassKguw8EoQ9R0TrwE9EAlBA0kexfkeC35O7fp_JR6ws4-GQmg

• Thanks 2

SkyMan

And readable from 15 meters by who? I can easily read my current plate from 30 meters. But then there's a blind cop in Lilo-an who reads txts by holding his old Nokia set to the largest font about an inch from his good eye.