Dafey

Grounding the Boeing 737 a touchy subject for US authorities

Woolf
6 minutes ago, TimL said:

They do in fact investigate them. 

If an accident or serious incident occurs in a foreign state involving a civil aircraft of U.S. Registry, a U.S. operator, or an aircraft of U.S. design or U.S. manufacture, where the foreign state is a signator to the ICAO Convention, that state is responsible for the investigation. In accord with the ICAO Annex 13 SARPS, upon receipt of a formal notification of the accident or serious incident that may involve significant issues, the NTSB may designate a U.S. Accredited Representative and appoint advisors to carry out the Obligations, receive the Entitlements, provide Consultation, and receive Safety Recommendations from the state of occurrence.

If an accident or serious incident occurs in a foreign state not bound by the provisions of Annex 13 to the ICAO Convention, or if a foreign state delegates all or part of an investigation by mutual consent to the NTSB, or if the accident or serious incident involves a public aircraft, the conduct of the investigation shall be in consonance with any agreement entered into between and the United States and the foreign state.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/foreign.aspx

To the best of my knowledge  NTSB does not write the report

Ozepete

Last Sunday booked flights for us, Melb. to Cebu via Singapore on May8.

Had a look at the ticket and we are supposed to be on the Silk-Air Boing 737 from Singas to Cebu. 

Hope they have changed the spark plugs and tuned the carby before then!:frantic:

• Like 3

Woolf

I am flying with silk air on saturday  april 13

maybe good thing it is not on a friday 13 

• Haha 1

Dafey
18 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I am flying with silk air on saturday  april 13

maybe good thing it is not on a friday 13 

Could be April Fools Day?

• Haha 1

SkyMan
On 3/13/2019 at 9:02 AM, SkyMan said:

and likely ticket prices will jump.

Shortly after posting the above I checked prices and found a BClass ticket CEB-ORD in Sep returning Oct for under $1K on China Eastern,  the next day over $2k for the same.  Now, can't find it at all.

Salty Dog

OOPS....

From 2012...

liquido
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Shortly after posting the above I checked prices and found a BClass ticket CEB-ORD in Sep returning Oct for under $1K on China Eastern,  the next day over $2k for the same.  Now, can't find it at all.

The unheard of 1K is the best price I have ever seen for a Bclass from cebu to ord...Even 2k is outstanding...The best I ever got was $2500 with China Eastern..But I hated that 5am departure and the TSA witches in Shanghai were some of the least friendliest looking people I have met..I will gladly pay in the $3000 range for Korean Air..Just my personal opinion..

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, liquido said:

The unheard of 1K is the best price I have ever seen for a Bclass from cebu to ord...Even 2k is outstanding...The best I ever got was $2500 with China Eastern..But I hated that 5am departure and the TSA witches in Shanghai were some of the least friendliest looking people I have met..I will gladly pay in the $3000 range for Korean Air..Just my personal opinion..

We did BClass same route under $1500 last year may-jun but told the wife not to get used to it.  Over $1500 would be out of my range.  I'd rather spend the extra on the trip itself.  Some time after the Max planes are repaired, there will likely be a big drop.

Edited by SkyMan

liquido
33 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

We did BClass same route under $1500 last year may-jun but told the wife not to get used to it.  Over $1500 would be out of my range.  I'd rather spend the extra on the trip itself.  Some time after the Max planes are repaired, there will likely be a big drop.

May I asking what booking site your using..Im plugging in dates in sep/oct using skyscanner,Vayama.cheapair...etc and coming up with some real high fairs for Biz...

SkyMan
1 hour ago, liquido said:

May I asking what booking site your using..Im plugging in dates in sep/oct using skyscanner,Vayama.cheapair...etc and coming up with some real high fairs for Biz...

I was just looking on the CE site.  ph.ceair.com or something like that.  When I looked before early sep to mid oct I had under $1k.  The next day over $2k.  Now I get nothing in any class.  I think CE has about 25 Maxs.  But it doesn't matter, even if the route you take isn't on a Max or even if your favorite airline doesn't use them, tickets are going fast because of this.

InternetTough
Posted (edited)

The 737 MAX  has its engines placed much higher than other commercial jets have.  There were some newer, more economical engines that Airbus was already using, and Boeing did not want to lose business, but they had a problem: The 737  wings were closer to the ground than its nearest Boeing rival's were, and so it could not mount the engines in the same way. So they put the engines on pylons pushing them in front of the wing, with the tops of the engines poking out ABOVE the wing. This tended to produce an accelerated angle of attack, so they installed MCAS----which was supposed to push the nose down automatically to avoid a stall. Boeing barely offered any training in respect of the new system. They were in quite a hurry to compete with Airbus. Now it is too late for them to be careful. Boeing will likely have a lot of paying out to do in court, and even more with lost orders. How many airlines are now experiencing buyer regret for having gone with Boeing on the 737 MAX? This blunder might decide the Boeing versus Airbus rivalry.

Edited by InternetTough
To improve accuracy of facts
  • Like 1

DeedleNuts
On 3/12/2019 at 2:50 AM, Semper paratus said:

Too many variables, unpredictable events and " hackers".

As long as the automation does better than the meat alternative, it's irrelevant from a rational standpoint. Perfection is an impossible bar to clear. 

liquido
10 hours ago, InternetTough said:

The 737 MAX  has its engines placed much higher than other commercial jets have.  There were some newer, more economical engines that Airbus was already using, and Boeing did not want to lose business, but they had a problem: The 737  wings were closer to the ground than its nearest Boeing rival's were, and so it could not mount the engines in the same way. So they put the engines on pylons pushing them in front of the wing, with the tops of the engines poking out ABOVE the wing. This tended to produce an accelerated angle of attack, so they installed MCAS----which was supposed to push the nose down automatically to avoid a stall. Boeing barely offered any training in respect of the new system. They were in quite a hurry to compete with Airbus. Now it is too late for them to be careful. Boeing will likely have a lot of paying out to do in court, and even more with lost orders. How many airlines are now experiencing buyer regret for having gone with Boeing on the 737 MAX? This blunder might decide the Boeing versus Airbus rivalry.

Or buying the Airbus A380...

Jester
Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2019 at 3:51 PM, SkyMan said:

I have found some oddities over the years with fares,  at times the travel agents beat internet prices among others.

I am not under any time constrains when I travel can go and return when I feel like it and have lots of time to shop price on the net.

So if I am looking and prices are running say $1200 to $1500 US and a fare shows up for $920,  I double check the connections, need to make sure there is not a 19 hour layover at JFK or need to change airports Newark to JFK or some such thing.  I do not leave the page I do not pass go, I do not hesitate but buy the ticket on the spot.   I know from past experience it will not be there even 2 hours later.

No idea why this is, only that on occasion a low fare will show up and then disappear.

Edited by Jester