Dafey

Grounding the Boeing 737 a touchy subject for US authorities

Jester

Whew!  Made me go look,   I am on a 321 and then 777 next Monday.   Hopefully this will not screw up all flight schedule's. 

Woolf
Posted (edited)

UK has grounded all Boeing 737 Max aircraft

before uk grounded the 737 max      40% of the fleet is now grounded

UK air space is closed for ALL 737 max's

Edited by Woolf

Salty Dog

It is much too soon to say why the plane went down, or to rule out possibilities like pilot error, mechanical breakdown, maintenance problems or terrorism.

The pilot was highly experienced,  but the co-pilot was remarkably inexperienced, with just 200 hours of flying time. In the USA, the co-pilot would be required to have at least 1,500 hours.

The civil war next door to Ethiopia, in Somalia, raises the possibility that terrorism, not mechanical failure, was to blame. The Shabab, the militant Islamist group affiliated with Al Qaeda, has mounted attacks on both Ethiopia and Kenya.

A witness has said that smoke was streaming from the jet while it was still aloft. The speculation that the crash could have been caused by a software issues would probably not have caused this though.

More than 350 Max 8’s have been delivered around the world.

Boeing introduced the 737 more than 50 years ago, and more than 10,000 have been built, making it the most widely used airliner in the world.

Excerpts from several articles...

• Like 3

Woolf

EU has closed its airspace for all flying with the 737 max 

Woolf
11 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Seems like they should have some info from the first crash by now. 

They do, Boeing is working on changing the software, but it takes time and certification also takes time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Woolf

https://www.africanews.com/2019/03/12/ethiopian-airlines-crash-aftermath-black-box-recovered/

part of the article:

The United States aviation regulator on Monday said it would task Boeing to implement design changes by April.

The FAA said the changes will “provide reduced reliance on procedures associated with required pilot memory items.”

The FAA also said Boeing will “update training requirements and flight crew manuals to go with the design change” to an automated protection system called the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System or MCAS. The changes also include MCAS activation and angle of attack signal enhancements.

The FAA said in the notice made public that external reports are drawing similarities between the crashes in Ethiopia and Indonesia. “However, this investigation has just begun and to date we have not been provided data to draw any conclusions or take any actions,” according to the Continued Airworthiness Notification to the International Community for Boeing 737 MAX 8 operators.

Boeing later confirmed the directive by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), saying it will deploy a software upgrade across the 737 MAX 8 fleet “in the coming weeks”.

The company confirmed it had for several months “been developing a flight control software enhancement for the 737 MAX, designed to make an already safe aircraft even safer.”

SkyMan
11 hours ago, Jester said:

Whew!  Made me go look,   I am on a 321 and then 777 next Monday.   Hopefully this will not screw up all flight schedule's. 

It may and likely ticket prices will jump.

• Thanks 1

Woolf

Many reports from pilots about nose down after engaging auto pilot

take a look for your self

also from US pilots

strange that nothing have been before, really it take 2 crashes for people to wake up

https://www.google.com/search?q=boing+max+8+pilots+reports+nose+down&oq=boing+max+8+pilots+reports++nose+down&aqs=chrome..69i57.22454j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 1

Woolf
14 hours ago, RedRanger said:

I am thinking pilot inexperience and failure to maintain manual control.  I will, as always, wait till the NTSB publishes their final report

Are you sure that NTSB issue reports on accidents outside USA ????

I do not think so

• Like 1

Salty Dog
44 minutes ago, Woolf said:

strange that nothing have been before, really it take 2 crashes for people to wake up

So many previous reports from pilots, but none of them crashed a plane because of it...:scratch_head:

I guess they were all just lucky.

OR

Turn on autopilot/anti-stall system, plane reacts unexpected, daaa, turn autopilot/anti-stall system off...:rolleyes:

• Like 2

Salty Dog

Sorry guys, but you can't post a video that contains mostly political discussions, that just happens to contain a few minutes about the crash. One video even managed to get politics into the discussion about the crash.

You'll have to find some other way if you want to post a video, or else post it in the CR...

• Like 1

TimL

If as witnesses reported the plane was on fire and flying erratically before crashing, I doubt it was pilot error, an inexperienced co-pilot or a bad altitude sensor that brought this one down. 

• Like 2

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, TimL said:

If as witnesses reported the plane was on fire and flying erratically before crashing, I doubt it was pilot error, an inexperienced co-pilot or a bad altitude sensor that brought this one down. 

And sometimes if people expect to see smoke or fire they will- even if non exists

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TimL
Just now, Davaoeno said:

And sometimes if people expect to see smoke or fire they will- even if non exists

Guess we’ll know soon enough when the info from the flight data recorders are released. 

• Like 1

TimL
2 hours ago, Woolf said:

Are you sure that NTSB issue reports on accidents outside USA ????

I do not think so

They do in fact investigate them. 

If an accident or serious incident occurs in a foreign state involving a civil aircraft of U.S. Registry, a U.S. operator, or an aircraft of U.S. design or U.S. manufacture, where the foreign state is a signator to the ICAO Convention, that state is responsible for the investigation. In accord with the ICAO Annex 13 SARPS, upon receipt of a formal notification of the accident or serious incident that may involve significant issues, the NTSB may designate a U.S. Accredited Representative and appoint advisors to carry out the Obligations, receive the Entitlements, provide Consultation, and receive Safety Recommendations from the state of occurrence.

If an accident or serious incident occurs in a foreign state not bound by the provisions of Annex 13 to the ICAO Convention, or if a foreign state delegates all or part of an investigation by mutual consent to the NTSB, or if the accident or serious incident involves a public aircraft, the conduct of the investigation shall be in consonance with any agreement entered into between and the United States and the foreign state.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/foreign.aspx

• Thanks 1