jimmyzr1

Yes, I would be marrying in the Philippines. I was married for 2-3 years in the US. My ex-wife had to get cenomar before, and she had an annulment for  “psychologically incapacitated” reasons. I sure wish I would’ve paid more attention to that before I brought her to the US. 

I would show whatever was needed as far as the cert. of legal capacity is concerned. I know the US has my information about bringing her to the US and marrying her, I am just trying to avoid extra costs involved with the Philippine government in case they decide they want me to jump through hoops about showing my divorces, thinking that not showing previous marriages could be a lot easier. That is what I’m mainly concerned about here.

I plan on staying here for the mean time if I can get used to living here.

Headshot

If you are getting married in the Philippines, then you have to show your divorce papers, get an affidavit from the embassy in Manila or the consulate in Cebu and get a CENOMAR for yourself as well. Unless you marriage was registered in the Philippines after you got married in the US, then a CENOMAR will be issued showing that you are not legally considered married in the Philippines.

jimmyzr1

No, my marriage was never recognized in the Philippines as far as II know. I don’t think my ex-wife filed any papers here after she was married. She visited the Philippines once, but after she stayed in the US. Also, what kind of a hassle and expense would it be to go through cenomar for me? 

It sure would be a lot easier either saying I was never married or marrying in a different country. The cert. of legal capacity to marry should be all that is required for the Philippine government from a foreigner. Isn’t the cenomar only for Filipinos?

jimmyzr1

My fiancé is a widower so hers should be easy.

RogerDuMond
19 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Also, what kind of a hassle and expense would it be to go through cenomar for me? 

Very little hassle and very little expense.

24 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Isn’t the cenomar only for Filipinos?

No, foreigners require a cenomar also. It doesn't say that you have never been married, only that you have never been married in the Philippines.

• Like 1

shadow
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

I have a question on this subject, can the Philippines government keep records of previous fiancé visas applied for by foreigners that led to marriage in the US? I brought a Filipina to the US, about 8 years ago, married her there. Two years later divorced her, she stayed there, now I’m considering marrying a 2nd lady here. Do they keep any records of my previous actions? I’ve read that I need to go to the US embassy here to get a “legal capacity to marry form” or something like that. Wouldn’t it be easier, to not show proof of previous marriages and divorces to the Philippines, and avoid a possible long, drawn out and possibly costly, procedure of remarrying here? Just a question as I’d prefer to not incur extra expense of having to list divorce records.

Was your previous marriage reported to the Philippine embassy in the US? If so, PSA will have a record of it. If not, you may get away with omitting that information to the Philippine government, but if you apply for a US visa for her, you will probably not get it past them.

31 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Very little hassle and very little expense.

No, foreigners require a cenomar also. It doesn't say that you have never been married, only that you have never been married in the Philippines.

it will also show up at PSA if the marriage was reported to the Phils Embassy in the US, like they want it to be.

Edit; Sorry, came into this one late, didn't read all the previous posts.

Edited by shadow

jimmyzr1
18 minutes ago, shadow said:

Was your previous marriage reported to the Philippine embassy in the US? If so, PSA will have a record of it. If not, you may get away with omitting that information to the Philippine government, but if you apply for a US visa for her, you will probably not get it past them.

it will also show up at PSA if the marriage was reported to the Phils Embassy in the US, like they want it to be.

Edit; Sorry, came into this one late, didn't read all the previous posts.

As far as I know, no as far as being reported to Phil’s embassy, certainly not by me, and I’m pretty sure not by my ex. I wonder if I were to get caught omitting this information what could be the problem? Maybe too much of a risk. I just hope that I would not have to go through the court system to acknowledge my divorce in the US.

shadow
2 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

As far as I know, no as far as being reported to Phil’s embassy, certainly not by me, and I’m pretty sure not by my ex. I wonder if I were to get caught omitting this information what could be the problem? Maybe too much of a risk. I just hope that I would not have to go through the court system to acknowledge my divorce in the US.

I think the most tragic thing that would happen if they caught you was make you jump through the hoops anyway. I'm not sure how the US embassy would respond.

jimmyzr1
Posted (edited)

I’m probably too chicken to try, lol. I would obviously tell the US embassy since they already would know that i married her, since I had brought her to the US before.

Edited by jimmyzr1

Jawny
6 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

I’m probably too chicken to try, lol. I would obviously tell the US embassy since they already would know that i married her, since I had brought her to the US before.

I am only guessing, but any documents I’ve filled in for things like this require some sort of confirmation that the information is correct and complete.  Failure to be complete could as a minimum invalidate the documents and the process.  

I recall divorce decree is a fairly straightforward process to get a copy.  There is a recent post in LinC where a member was preparing for marriage and got his decree sent from the USA by LBC. 

Dafey
46 minutes ago, jimmyzr1 said:

As far as I know, no as far as being reported to Phil’s embassy, certainly not by me, and I’m pretty sure not by my ex.

Was this your first marriage? If not just show them the divorce decree from your first.

jimmyzr1

I’ve got my two divorce degrees with me, I don’t have marriage certificates, I just hope if I show them, that the Philippines government doesn’t require the documents to be verified by going through a court process.

jimmyzr1
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Was this your first marriage? If not just show them the divorce decree from your first.

I’ve been married twice, once many years ago to an American, and one Filipina I brought to the US on a fiancé visa. I was married to her for maybe 3 years, then divorced, After the Luis Vuitton’s, Gucci’s and such.

Edited by jimmyzr1
  • Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, jimmyzr1 said:

As far as I know, no as far as being reported to Phil’s embassy, certainly not by me, and I’m pretty sure not by my ex. 

Most likely not unless your x renewed her RP passport in her married name after your wedding. 

Headshot
4 hours ago, jimmyzr1 said:

Isn’t the cenomar only for Filipinos?

No. It is for anybody who wants to get married in the Philippines. They don't trust foreigners more than they do their own citizens. As far as her being widowed, how that turns out depends on whether or not they connect her husband's death certificate to their marriage certificate.