Kahuna

How Factories Produce Canned Meat

Kahuna

Interesting vid..

I've seen this product in the stores but the price is about twice what you'd pay per pound for fresh so I didn't try it.

Anyone try this?  Any good?

• Like 4

SkyMan

Looks good.  When I read the thread title I expected to see a video on nasty meat being made out of normally discarded parts of animals and other carp nobody really wants to know about. This looks good although, as you say, expensive.  Would be good for folks in a hurry. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Semper paratus

Salt is the killer. I'll pass.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Im not a fan of salt as a seasoning but in this case it's a preservative which I consider a better choice some of the other options. 

• Like 4

Kahuna
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

Im not a fan of salt as a seasoning but in this case it's a preservative which I consider a better choice some of the other options. 

I was surprised they cook it in the can like they did. I wonder if it gives the meat a little metallic taste to it?   I like the shelf life of 5 years.  Might be good to have some around when the world goes sour here soon  :)  

• Like 1

bkb1

• Thanks 1

Semper paratus
7 hours ago, bkb1 said:

As soon as she said salt, I quit watching. But feel free to pick your own poison. Personally I am highly salt sensitive. Some are probably highly salt tolerant. Just try and be aware of which one you are or if you are in the theoretical middle somewhere. There are many spices out there without using salt. Salt is cheap, and an easy lazy way to " spice" up poor and mediocre cooking. Bon appetit ' 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Kahuna
9 hours ago, Semper paratus said:

As soon as she said salt, I quit watching. But feel free to pick your own poison. Personally I am highly salt sensitive. Some are probably highly salt tolerant. Just try and be aware of which one you are or if you are in the theoretical middle somewhere. There are many spices out there without using salt. Salt is cheap, and an easy lazy way to " spice" up poor and mediocre cooking. Bon appetit ' 

Maybe you can start a thread about your salt intake ?  :scratch_head: